Mac OS X Lion Discussion

The Zoom button would have worked if it would actually revert the window back to its previous size when clicking it the second time. However, the damn thing doesn't do that! If you move the window change it size or whatever the zoom button does basically nothing anymore: It's a one way street.

The zoom button is supposed to toggle the window size between "the optimum window size for its content" and "the size the user set". Unfortunately, it's up to the developer to implement the behavior correctly, which means it rarely ever gets done.

The zoom button is supposed to toggle the window size between "the optimum window size for its content" and "the size the user set". Unfortunately, it's up to the developer to implement the behavior correctly, which means it rarely ever gets done.

It stops that toggling you're talking about the second you move the window by even a pixel. I can't stand it. Zoom's behavior to me is fickle to say the least even when using Apple's own applications such as Safari and iTunes.

I still see a problem though: How does one know an application features a full screen mode? Does the Zoom button become extra green or something?

Looks really good, seems like Apple manged to put the best of both worlds together regarding the iOS and MacOS.

Now, I will just wait how well the OSX86 community does, if it looks promising, I can't wait for it to get available for purchase only to hackintosh it on my PC :rofl: :whistle:

Looks really good, seems like Apple manged to put the best of both worlds together regarding the iOS and MacOS.

Now, I will just wait how well the OSX86 community does, if it looks promising, I can't wait for it to get available for purchase only to hackintosh it on my PC :rofl: :whistle:

It will be available for regular PCs, nothing much Apple can do about that really

I've found on many other Apple-centric message boards that the same people that used to criticize Windows for "stupidly" maximizing windows are now praising Lion for doing exactly the same thing...

That is pretty funny. I've always hated the zoom functionality of OS X, but again, I do think there's a pretty clear distinction between maximizing an app and full screen. Full screen removes every distraction from your work space. You just have your app, and that's it. No other OS chrome in sight until you go into Mission Control or swipe left/right. You also, or at least should if the app is doing things properly, get a workspace tailored to your full screen environment and not just a "big" version of what you were seeing in the app's window.

I'm winning out here when it comes to touch, whether steve jobs likes it or not. I won't bitch about that, but I'm certainly reserving judgement until closer to release and I don't think it will impress me based on the current preview.

If they want to bring the "advantages" of iOS to OSX you don't just throw it across like this;

883kb.png

You adapt it, make it work for a desktop. Right now I think they have some work to do and they can make this really good or really bad.

Yeah Launchpad makes no sense like that on the desktop. They should have made it Stack-like, part of the Dock.

It makes more sense than what they showed, you can always access it by swiping your fingers (well at least that's my guess). Remember, most of the computers Apple as sold in the past few years are multi touch (laptops have the track pads and desktop have the magic mouse and magic trackpad)

Yeah Launchpad makes no sense like that on the desktop. They should have made it Stack-like, part of the Dock.

On a 27" iMac, it doesn't make a lot if sense. On an 11.6" MacBook Air, probably moreso. I guess we'll see how it evolves, but it's not like we're forced into it anyway. We can still have our Applications stack in the Dock and go about our day.

Rudy also brought up a good point about the multitouch aspect, and I do like the home screen metaphor from my phone. It's nice to be able to organize your apps without potentially breaking them by moving them away from their "expected" location.

I believe the new features of Lion sound quite awesome though unless some 'bigger' features are unveiled later on, IMO it should just be an upgrade to Snow Leopard. Just a new version number like 10.6.5 or so

I'm winning out here when it comes to touch, whether steve jobs likes it or not. I won't bitch about that, but I'm certainly reserving judgement until closer to release and I don't think it will impress me based on the current preview.

If they want to bring the "advantages" of iOS to OSX you don't just throw it across like this;

883kb.png

You adapt it, make it work for a desktop. Right now I think they have some work to do and they can make this really good or really bad.

Yes, if things like this are what's being touted as new features worthy of an upgrade... sorry. I'll wait for something important to be released.

None of this "works great for iPad / iPhone, dump it on the desktop, even if its not necessary". We already have plenty of ways to access apps. This is stupid.

How does that change anything at all? In case you didn't know games have to be developed for consoles as well, they don't just magically fall out of the sky. Considering two out of three popular platforms don't support DirectX, but yet are still highly successful, it doesn't seem to be the real issue these days.

i know exactly how games are made on ps3 and other consoles, thanks (Y)

The point he was making is that DirectX is not an absolute requirement for having games on ANY type of platform. Windows gamers seem to be completely blinded by their own ignorance of anything other than what they are used to.

but windows became the main gaming platform due to directx which then helped it gain it's huge market share. due to the whole market share thing and the windows gaming still being pretty big (or you could argue PC gaming is dieing which is bull ****) gaming is always going to be bigger on windows. Gamers don't want to buy a $4000+ mac just to play a game on high settings when you can build a windows PC that can do the same thing for $1000. ALso it doesn't help that OSX is crapily optimized for gaming due it's lack of proper open GL support for games. Steam helped, but it still has miles to go.

I believe the new features of Lion sound quite awesome though unless some 'bigger' features are unveiled later on, IMO it should just be an upgrade to Snow Leopard. Just a new version number like 10.6.5 or so

Right? you're new to OS X, I guess?

Minor versions 10.5.x, have always been free and almost never have new features, just bug fixes and stuff. When new features are shipped in these small updates, it's normally a tiny one in the form of a new checkbox somewhere.

Updates like this are always major versions 10.x. Since 10.6 has next to no new features over 10.5 other than speed and stability and a ton of under-the-hood tweaks and cost $29, there's no way 10.7 with its headline features will be free. The last free major update was 10.0 -> 10.1, IIRC.

The point he was making is that DirectX is not an absolute requirement for having games on ANY type of platform. Windows gamers seem to be completely blinded by their own ignorance of anything other than what they are used to.

Rubbish. I personally understand the reasons, but I just don't care, because regardless of the reasons the fact is that Windows is the only platform where OpenGL and D3D are possible.

Apple could use their considerable clout to try and encourage more games manufacturers do develop cross platform games, but at the moment the commercial incentives are simply not such that they would gain significantly from doing it. Personally I would love to see more cross platform games, but at the moment the lack of that ability is what keeps me away from Linux and OSX.

It will be available for regular PCs, nothing much Apple can do about that really

I know that much, I'm just waiting to see how much of work I need to do to make it running smoothly^^

UI changes to Mail and iCal (iTunes-like sidebar, toolbar buttons, scrollbars or lack thereof)

I like where they're going. A more minimal look.

UI changes to Mail and iCal (iTunes-like sidebar, toolbar buttons, scrollbars or lack thereof)

Those are some pretty big changes. Look like the iTunes sidebar was actually a precursor and colored icons are going away. I'm not sure how I feel about the color cues going away, but it does look nice and minimal.

Did anyone else notice how the facetime app title borders were a charcoal/black... Could they potentially be moving towards a darker theme? Or is this just a one off type deal? Typically, I thought they tried to be consist in their UI settings....

Did anyone else notice how the facetime app title borders were a charcoal/black... Could they potentially be moving towards a darker theme? Or is this just a one off type deal? Typically, I thought they tried to be consist in their UI settings....

FaceTime and QuickTime X are consistent. iTunes 10's standalone media window is consistent with it too. It's their new A/V container style, basically.

It's from the Quicktime X UI, it fades away, that's why it has that unique look.

It's from the Quicktime X UI, it fades away, that's why it has that unique look.

ahh, okay.. I don't hardly use either quicktime/itunes enough to have even noticed. But certainly makes sense... In-fact, I don't think I've opened up iTunes since it updated [get my music from amazon]... geez, maybe I should lol