Mac OS X Lion Discussion

Here let me explain i this way. For movies, what is the hook. The trailer right. The trailer shows you what you can expect from the movie. Like the Inception trailer was just amazing, it was a prelude of how awesome it was gone be. Now for OS X Lion, the "trailer" sucked and usually if the trailer sucks, then the movie is not that great itself either wink.gif

i couldn't have explained that better myself

Closing a window and quitting an application are generally two different processes on OS X. However, the idea is to make it so that quitting an application doesn't throw away your application's session. When you restart that application, it'll be right where it was. This blurs the line between open and quit applications.

If that's really going to be the case I'm hoping the "close" button will get a unified function. So no more closing and quitting. Suspending only.

Here let me explain i this way. For movies, what is the hook. The trailer right. The trailer shows you what you can expect from the movie. Like the Inception trailer was just amazing, it was a prelude of how awesome it was gone be. Now for OS X Lion, the "trailer" sucked and usually if the trailer sucks, then the movie is not that great itself either wink.gif

That the features doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. And to continue your movie metaphor: Most movies have multiple trailers showing different / additional stuff. So will the Mac OS X Lion previews.

If that's really going to be the case I'm hoping the "close" button will get a unified function. So no more closing and quitting. Suspending only.

That the features doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. And to continue your movie metaphor: Most movies have multiple trailers showing different / additional stuff. So will Mac OS X Lion previews.

Agreed, but take into consideration that if usually the first trailer is bad, then the others are not good either

Actually I find it the other way round usually, the better more effort put into a trailer usually precedes a poorer movie.

Agreed, but take into consideration that if usually the first trailer is bad, then the others are not good either

Lets be honest here, whatever was showing at the show you'd have found something to moan about.

I think what might happen is: close one window in a one window only application and the app quits/suspends (like those apps do now). If the app has multiple windows, closing all the windows will cause the app to suspend. Apps that specifically state they need to stay open to do something (like iTunes) will continue to run in the background.

At least, if I were Apple and I wanted to simplify things, that's how I would do it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that little detail. :/ Obviously you don't want iTunes to suspend.

Take into consideration that frequently you have this amazing looking trailer but the movie turns out to be crap. So you know, what you're trying to say here doesn't mean much. Especially not when talking about an operating system rather than a movie.

Take into consideration that frequently you have this amazing looking trailer but the movie turns out to be crap. So you know, what you're trying to say here doesn't mean much. Especially not when talking about an operating system rather than a movie.

I made an analogy and a fitting analogy considering Apple is also heavily involved in the movie industry, but usually a good trailer means a good movie

but usually a good trailer means a good movie

Really it doesn't.

I made an analogy and a fitting analogy considering Apple is also heavily involved in the movie industry

Yet your analogy doesn't work when applying it to an operating system. Whether it's one made by Apple, Microsoft or someone else is besides the point.

Anyway, I'm done talking about movie trailers now.

Apps that specifically state they need to stay open to do something (like iTunes) will continue to run in the background.

I wanted to add: In that case you have no idea what application is running in the background and what application isn't. That is when iTunes is paused or muted. I can see some issues with Apple removing the running Dock indicator.

I wanted to add: In that case you have no idea what application is running in the background and what application isn't. That is when iTunes is paused or muted.

I know. It's possible that iTunes will spawn a separate process for playing music (like how the iPod app does on iOS). The main app can then go away and the lightweight player process can continue to run. This is all speculation though, and I'm sure Apple has some nifty way to handle this. They've had a lot of practice with iOS.

I know. It's possible that iTunes will spawn a separate process for playing music (like how the iPod app does on iOS). The main app can then go away and the lightweight player process can continue to run. This is all speculation though, and I'm sure Apple has some nifty way to handle this. They've had a lot of practice with iOS.

If anything that would make things more complex rather than simplify them. :/ This is really something I have to see for myself because at this point it more or less makes my head spin. :p

If anything that would make things more complex rather than simplify them. :/

Complex when you think about how the whole process is working, but really, it would function no differently (and theoretically reduce the resource footprint on the system; I mean, I have iTunes open and doing nothing right now and it's eating up nearly 400MB of my memory with no part of the app showing). The player process would be invisible to the user. If you paused/stopped iTunes and then quit, the player process would go away along with iTunes.

iOS does this very similarly. The iPod app, in essence, creates a subprocess that handles audio playing. When the GUI for the iPod app is suspended, the subprocess continues to run. The user doesn't see it, but it's there doing what you'd expect it to do.

That would a good solution and yeah, heavily reduce the memory footprint in the case of iTunes. But how do you manage things like Safari only downloading a file with all windows hidden? I'm guessing the only way to let the end-user know what's going on is to add a progress bar to the Dock icon similar to the App Store. So basically most applications that run (not suspend) with all windows closed still need an indicator of some kind. Unless you have some other process managing the download itself that automatically quits when all downloads are done. In that case I see it becoming a huge mess from a developer point of view.

Judging by the screenshots, we'll be able to buy certain iLife and iWork apps separately. That's pretty cool, just iPhoto and Pages for me.

I noticed that in the screenshot as well. It's possible that they were just showing the updating feature, but I don't think so.

I noticed that in the screenshot as well. It's possible that they were just showing the updating feature, but I don't think so.

In the keynote he separately downloaded Pages when it wasn't installed yet.

The way you have to flip through Dashboard, Desktop and full screen applications in Mac OS X Lion reminded me of something...

http://10gui.com/

:whistle:

Apple created a bit of a blend between the classic desktop and 10/GUI. I realize it's not exactly the same, but it's hard to ignore some of the similarities there.

Things look good so far.

I hope there will be more to Lion obviously, but if they manage to release a touch-screen OS like they mentioned, IMO just this deserves a new OS because a lot of things are going to change.

Please, to make the touch buttons bigger, bring back Resolution Independence from its grave. I?m still waiting for this.

The App Store is brilliant, I hope it will also push more game developers into the Mac, because it?s certainly not one of our strength... even if lately developers moved their asses from their chairs to bring a lot of actually good games to the Mac. I mean, IMO gaming is meant for consoles, but if the PC has x games, I don?t know why the Mac shouldn?t. I also hope for better graphics drivers in Lion.

Things look good so far.

I hope there will be more to Lion obviously, but if they manage to release a touch-screen OS like they mentioned, IMO just this deserves a new OS because a lot of things are going to change.

Please, to make the touch buttons bigger, bring back Resolution Independence from its grave. I?m still waiting for this.

The App Store is brilliant, I hope it will also push more game developers into the Mac, because it?s certainly not one of our strength... even if lately developers moved their asses from their chairs to bring a lot of actually good games to the Mac. I mean, IMO gaming is meant for consoles, but if the PC has x games, I don?t know why the Mac shouldn?t. I also hope for better graphics drivers in Lion.

cause osx doesn't have directx

These new features are going to make me have to pick up a magic mouse after all... All the new gesture commands are beyond cool. I like how they added the launchpad, it's a nice touch to the docked application folder, and the fact I can organize it they way I want.

As for the App Store, I think that is a great add-on and a smart move. Especially for those instances where I don't want a full suite as if I was in a store, but rater just a specific application (like in the demo he purchased only pages) All in all looks like some great things coming, can't wait to hear what else they will bring to the table as more details emerge.

Personally I think the launch pad looks kinda out of place on Mac OS X though... :/ Having a Stack-like interface would have been a better fit, in my opinion.

At first I thought this was a joke, but now I have been reading into it a bit more it actually seems like a good idea. Lets hope they can pull it off in a good way.

Damn, traffic light buttons will be like in iTunes 10. And all the titlebars will disappear, too, like in iTunes 10.

That's what I've seen in the keynote (look at the App Store application for the later).

And yeah, lack of DirectX doesn’t help, but the lack of enthusiasm of Apple regarding games is a much bigger deal IMO. We would have more partnerships between Apple and game developers and good graphics drivers.

Games in the App Store = good.