Mac OS X Lion Discussion

Was that the only thing?

That's by design, that way you immediately see what file or folder is extracted. I think it's pretty clever actually.

There were a few more, but Snow Leopard felt like it was only bug fixes, nothing new, and Lion would bring in the new features, but it didnt

I hate it, its really annoying, the etracted file lays over the file mad.gif

I like the look of 'Mission Control' (I do not like the name). The App Store is basically an improved version of http://www.apple.com/downloads/ and doesn't look all that bad, but I doubt I'll get much use out of it. No interest in Launch Pad.

There is Bodega which gets the job done

that was suppose to say pu$y, so windows should be like "windows 8 is better then that pu$y any day of the week"

loll youre right 10.7 aint no lion, the lion is the king of all the beasts, 10.7 is just a pu$$y which needs to get crushed laugh.gif

Does noone else think this a complete joke and a cheap gimmick?

Not really, OSX has been on the back burner for a while, it only makes sense to bring all the work and effort they did back from iOS

There were a few more, but Snow Leopard felt like it was only bug fixes, nothing new, and Lion would bring in the new features, but it didnt

Mac OS X Lion did already bring in some new features. That's a fact. If you don't like them, that's a whole different story. Next to that Steve Jobs specifically said that these aren't all of the new features, just a few of them, so I don't know what you're complaining about. Maybe you should wait with that until all features have been demoed...

If Mac OS X Lion brings nothing else of interest to the table, then yes. If there are other exiting major features, then no. These are nice improvements, but not enough to warrant a major new version.

Simple as that.

Mac OS X Lion did already bring in some new features. That's a fact. If you don't like them, that's a whole different story. Next to that Steve Jobs specifically said that these aren't all of the new features, just a few of them, so I don't know what you're complaining about. Maybe you should wait with that until all features have been demoed...

I don't get how copying some stuff from iOS is new features, I'll wait for more info, but from the current look of things, this thing looks like a joke

I don't get how copying some stuff from iOS is new features.

The improvements are not part of Mac OS X now, so they're new features. What isn't there to understand?

I don't get how copying some stuff from iOS is new features, I'll wait for more info, but from the current look of things, this thing looks like a joke

you're right, there is NOTHING new in Lion so far.

The improvements are not part of Mac OS X now, so they're new features. What isn't there to understand?

cause their not new? think about it. iOS = dumbed down version of OSX. Essentially all they are doing is copy pasting features from the dumbed down version to the full version. How long do you actually thing it toke them to port the features?

Judging by the screenshots, we'll be able to buy certain iLife and iWork apps separately. That's pretty cool, just iPhoto and Pages for me.

Yeah I really wonder if that's going to be the case when Mac OS X Lion hits the stores or if they just did that for demo purposes only. I also wonder if they're going to port the App Store to Snow Leopard when it's done.

cause their not new? think about it. iOS = dumbed down version of OSX. Essentially all they are doing is copy pasting features from the dumbed down version to the full version.

They're new on the Mac. So it's a new feature on the desktop version of Mac OS X.

The fact that Mac OS had a hardware accelerated GUI before Windows, doesn't mean it wasn't a new feature of Windows Vista. The fact that Windows had fast-user-switching before Mac OS X, doesn't mean fast-user-switching wasn't a new feature of Mac OS X Panther.

Usually a desktop OS is where all the power is, while those features might be nice for a phone, they are child's play for an actual computer, there is nothing amazing in Lion

...so, it's not cool to have your app closed and not using any resources and then reopen right where it was like nothing ever happened? Or to be able to get all your applications in one place without worrying about serial numbers and licensing arrangements and be able to update them all with one click?

I'm a power user. I milk the Unix underpinnings of OS X for everything they're worth. That being said, I like to love using my desktop experience. I like the small things that make me go "Wow, that was a smart idea." Just because I can do something the hard way doesn't mean I want to do it the hard way, and that's what I love about OS X. It has so much power, and allows you to get to that power very easily, but at the same time it abstracts it away 99% of the time.

The only thing I have on my wishlist for Lion is a better cloud syncing strategy. MobileMe does a lot pretty well, but it's 1) expensive considering the competition and 2) a little buggy when syncing multiple Macs together. However, judging by how they're positioning this new MacBook Air, I imagine they have a few things up their sleeve to really simplify the process of working with a two-Mac + iOS device workflow.

I think that most people ( incl me ) thought that Windows 7 and OSX have reached there peak after all the 10.6 and Win 7 were just polishes, this just shows that we can expect more experimentation from them both which is great. And hopefully MS will have an answer....

Yeah I really wonder if that's going to be the case when Mac OS X Lion hits the stores or if they just did that for demo purposes only. I also wonder if they're going to port the App Store to Snow Leopard when it's done.

They're new on the Mac.

Thats just a cheap move by Apple, its not new on the Mac, it was in iOS though, same crap

...so, it's not cool to have your app closed and not using any resources and then reopen right where it was like nothing ever happened? Or to be able to get all your applications in one place without worrying about serial numbers and licensing arrangements and be able to update them all with one click?

doesn't OSX already do that? When you close the window the program is still running?

I'm a power user. I milk the Unix underpinnings of OS X for everything they're worth. That being said, I like to love using my desktop experience. I like the small things that make me go "Wow, that was a smart idea." Just because I can do something the hard way doesn't mean I want to do it the hard way, and that's what I love about OS X. It has so much power, and allows you to get to that power very easily, but at the same time it abstracts it away 99% of the time.

The only thing I have on my wishlist for Lion is a better cloud syncing strategy. MobileMe does a lot pretty well, but it's 1) expensive considering the competition and 2) a little buggy when syncing multiple Macs together. However, judging by how they're positioning this new MacBook Air, I imagine they have a few things up their sleeve to really simplify the process of working with a two-Mac + iOS device workflow.

what he said :)

They're new on the Mac. So it's a new feature on the desktop version of Mac OS X.

The fact that Mac OS had a hardware accelerated GUI before Windows, doesn't mean it wasn't a new feature of Windows Vista. The fact that Windows had fast-user-switching before Mac OS X, doesn't mean fast-user-switching wasn't a new feature of Mac OS X Panther.

But that's different, this is the same thing pretty much

Yes those might be "cool" features, but there is nothing extraordinary about them

I think that most people ( incl me ) thought that Windows 7 and OSX have reached there peak after all the 10.6 and Win 7 were just polishes, this just shows that we can expect more experimentation from them both which is great. And hopefully MS will have an answer....

Well after this, it's not going to take a lot of work for Microsoft to top it off tongue.gif

doesn't OSX already do that? When you close the window the program is still running?

Closing a window and quitting an application are generally two different processes on OS X. However, the idea is to make it so that quitting an application doesn't throw away your application's session. When you restart that application, it'll be right where it was. This blurs the line between open and quit applications.

Well after this, it's not going to take a lot of work for Microsoft to top it off tongue.gif

What don't you get about "Sneak Peek"? It's not a full feature list.

fine, keep spinning it that way, but technically they are not new to OSX

Did anyone claim the features are unique and never been done before? You're basically repeating what Steve Jobs already explained in the keynote.

Well after this, it's not going to take a lot of work for Microsoft to top it off

Apparently you still fail to understand that this isn't the complete feature list of Mac OS X Lion. At this point Microsoft showed us absolutely zero when it comes to Windows 8, just some descriptions of what might come, so in the end you have no idea what to expect there either.

Thats just a cheap move by Apple, its not new on the Mac, it was in iOS though, same crap

I don't see it being as a cheap move at all. I was waiting for certain aspects of iOS to make it into Mac OS X. And it is very much new on the Mac as iOS doesn't run on the platform.

So what magical features that you didn't receive were you expecting? The truth is that both OS X and Windows have reached feature saturation and you aren't going to see amazing new features like we did in the past.

So what magical features that you didn't receive were you expecting? The truth is that both OS X and Windows have reached feature saturation and you aren't going to see amazing new features like we did in the past.

fixing things would be nice, not copy pasting things

Closing a window and quitting an application are generally two different processes on OS X. However, the idea is to make it so that quitting an application doesn't throw away your application's session. When you restart that application, it'll be right where it was. This blurs the line between open and quit applications.

What don't you get about "Sneak Peek"? It's not a full feature list.

Did anyone claim the features are unique and never been done before? You're basically repeating what Steve Jobs already explained in the keynote.

Apparently you still fail to understand that this isn't the complete feature list of Mac OS X Lion. At this point Microsoft showed us absolutely zero when it comes to Windows 8, just some descriptions of what might come, so in the end you have no idea what to expect there either.

Here let me explain i this way. For movies, what is the hook. The trailer right. The trailer shows you what you can expect from the movie. Like the Inception trailer was just amazing, it was a prelude of how awesome it was gone be. Now for OS X Lion, the "trailer" sucked and usually if the trailer sucks, then the movie is not that great itself either wink.gif