Fusion OS

He doesn't need "permission" or actual registration with the Copyright Office to use the copyright symbol, that's his responsibility.

That's not the copyright symbol, that's the registered trademark symbol. There is an unregistered trademark symbol as well; it would be better suited to this purpose.

That's not the copyright symbol, that's the registered trademark symbol. There is an unregistered trademark symbol as well; it would be better suited to this purpose.

True :] -- was thinking about copyright other than trademark for some reason :blink:

Wow are we still going on about this? Let's move on people...

Yes, I decided it merited a reply; thus I replied. Also, I didn't realize how long ago that post was -- so my apologies on bringing up the old :blush:

Congratulations, you've changed a panel background and window border theme, installed an icon set, and added one of the various dock/panel apps that are knocking around (could even just be a gnome-panel with DockbarX or similar).

Great job. Really worthwhile project.

Honestly - get off Neowin, you just go round posting random stuff which is really of no importance, it's upto him what he wants to do, not you.

Honestly - get off Neowin, you just go round posting random stuff which is really of no importance, it's upto him what he wants to do, not you.

Honestly - get off Neowin, you just go round posting random stuff which is really of no importance, it's upto me what I want to do, not you.

To be straight with you - if he wants to do this, that's fine. Good luck to him. But he's wasting people's time telling them that it's going to be revolutionary and amazing and lightweight, when all he appears to have done is repackage a normal Ubuntu setup and make some changes than any regular GNOME user could make in five minutes upon a fresh install.

To those wanting a fairly lightweight distro to run on some old kit, there are plenty around already. I'm partial to Debian, others have their own preferences. Don't waste your time waiting for this non-project to achieve bugger all.

To everyone else, normal Ubuntu is already available, if you want a more polished version try Mint.

Honestly - get off Neowin, you just go round posting random stuff which is really of no importance, it's upto me what I want to do, not you.

To be straight with you - if he wants to do this, that's fine. Good luck to him. But he's wasting people's time telling them that it's going to be revolutionary and amazing and lightweight, when all he appears to have done is repackage a normal Ubuntu setup and make some changes than any regular GNOME user could make in five minutes upon a fresh install.

To those wanting a fairly lightweight distro to run on some old kit, there are plenty around already. I'm partial to Debian, others have their own preferences. Don't waste your time waiting for this non-project to achieve bugger all.

To everyone else, normal Ubuntu is already available, if you want a more polished version try Mint.

I heard stuff like this on the release of Ada from Mint.

I wish you all the best RKWJ25 :)

I think at this point it has been proven that nobody currently working on the project has the design skills to pull the idea off.

Agreed.

I think at this point it has been proven that nobody currently working on the project has the design skills to pull the idea off.

Yea...

Their lead graphics designer Cosmin hasn't really brought anything new to the table. :/

In this case I don't see how that's beneficial compared to just running Windows. Not to mention the familiarity factor is purely superficial, in the end the OS will still work differently.

Ok, let's try it this way. Go and ask 100 people that have tried Linux, and stopped using it, and ask why.

Obviously I don't expect you to actually do that, but the point is simple. Linux is unfamiliar to a lot of people and a lot of distributions are obnoxiously difficult to use. Although it's my personal opinion that OSX is a bit too dumbed down, it shows that you can build a Unix based OS without it being needlessly complicated.

So, in short..... chimps are flaming each-other over the logo????????????

And an actual user who has an issue, does not get support....! Just brilliant!

This bodes well for future help requests...! Thanks......

Well the version that was out has already been withdrawn. which made sense since it was ubuntu with a different theme.

instead they'll wait a bit and release a new version that'll be ubuntu with dockbarX and some titlebar in ubuntu panel plugins.

Ok, So i booted up with the live CD, and i cannot login ?????? no matter what i put in username, and password.... it just asks me to login again...

Any ideas?

... trying again...!

Ok, let's try it this way. Go and ask 100 people that have tried Linux, and stopped using it, and ask why.

Obviously I don't expect you to actually do that, but the point is simple. Linux is unfamiliar to a lot of people and a lot of distributions are obnoxiously difficult to use. Although it's my personal opinion that OSX is a bit too dumbed down, it shows that you can build a Unix based OS without it being needlessly complicated.

I can give an educated guess:

1) Basically no PC ships with Linux by default / People don't come in contact with desktop Linux

2) Most people still think of Linux as being user-unfriendly and don't see it as a viable alternative

3) Their commercial applications don't work with it

The point is: If people really cared about everything working exactly like Windows (taskbar, start menu etc.) and don't want to deal with a different user experience Apple wouldn't have seen a huge surge in Mac sales since 2001.

Hey Everybody!

I just wanted to give a quick update we have currently served 36 downloads of Fusion OS, which I think is pretty good. (Consider its Beta and not complete). Also I have been reading through the thread and taking notes on the feedback, and created a concept image which just modifies the desktop that is in place now not a darastic change but I want opinions on it first wether we should pursue this concept or keep it the way it is now. Its really not that big of a change but I think it maks things a little more "accessible". Please post your thoughts! Also thanks for helping others out with problems they may be experiencing!

PS: This is a very basic concept.

Thanks,

- Keith.

fosnewconcept.png

you're doing it wrong, you're placing aesthetics above functionality. For example, why would anyone want an analog clock that small in his taskbar. A digital clock of the same size is so much easier to read.

I'm sorry, but do something usefull with a linux distro, improve packaging (very hard i admit), make a nice live cd with some bundled applications that serve a purpose. Don't just switch some gui elements around, we have enough of that already

Ok, So i booted up with the live CD, and i cannot login ?????? no matter what i put in username, and password.... it just asks me to login again...

Any ideas?

So 4 days waiting for support to what i guess is a simple question... and nothing...!

Thanks guys...!!!! :no: :crazy:

dont think i am gonna bother experimenting with this... and surely not advertise it.

again, the retracted the beta.

I couldnt even get the beta to start, login via the live CD...! or get support!

I can give an educated guess:

1) Basically no PC ships with Linux by default / People don't come in contact with desktop Linux

2) Most people still think of Linux as being user-unfriendly and don't see it as a viable alternative

3) Their commercial applications don't work with it

The point is: If people really cared about everything working exactly like Windows (taskbar, start menu etc.) and don't want to deal with a different user experience Apple wouldn't have seen a huge surge in Mac sales since 2001.

Well yeah, OSX is designed to be idiot proof, like I said though it's a bit too dumbed down for my liking.

Well yeah, OSX is designed to be idiot proof, like I said though it's a bit too dumbed down for my liking.

In any case, your original point was that making a copy of the Windows interface is desired for the familiarity effect. Apple proofed with both Mac OS X and iOS that isn't necessary and you can give an operating system your own look-'n'-feel as long as it's intuitive.

God-forbid an OS that try to be easy for everyone.

Everyone knows PCs should be complex, a pain to use, reaquire a fair share of maintenance and shouldn't run two applications that work remotely the same. Not to mention you should be able to install hundreds of different "tweaking" utilities so you think things will run faster when in fact you're undermining the system's overall stability.

Where is the fun in owning one otherwise? ;)

Hell I put © beside every piece of software I write. Even if it's not copy written.

Every piece of software you write IS copyrighted (not "copy written", I'll never understand where that moronic term came from) from the moment you create it, as would be any work of art, photograph, book, etc. That is a totally different process than using the ® to denote a registered trademark.

God-forbid that some people like advanced functionality rather than dumbed down rubbish