Fusion OS

God-forbid that some people like advanced functionality rather than dumbed down rubbish

If you really need stuff like that most of it accessible through other means. Terminal for example. It doesn't get much more advanced than that.

God-forbid that some people like advanced functionality rather than dumbed down rubbish

You can have that in any OS. Even OS X. Terminal is still there an can be used.

In the other hand using terms like "dumbed down" (Meaning you think you are smarter just because something as trivial as knowing some stuff others dont) it's quite sad. So, do you develop your photos by hand, cook all your food including the blends and bases, build your furniture and your house? All knowledge is really trivial.

If you really need stuff like that most of it accessible through other means. Terminal for example. It doesn't get much more advanced than that.

Needless complication, when you can do it all through the UI with Windows

You can have that in any OS. Even OS X. Terminal is still there an can be used.

In the other hand using terms like "dumbed down" (Meaning you think you are smarter just because something as trivial as knowing some stuff others dont) it's quite sad. So, do you develop your photos by hand, cook all your food including the blends and bases, build your furniture and your house? All knowledge is really trivial.

I'm not trying to imply that at all, I am just stating that I prefer functionality over form, which is why I don't buy Apple products

Needless complication, when you can do it all through the UI with Windows

What part of "for example" don't you understand? Mac OS X comes with both built-in and downloadable utilities that allow you to change more advanced preferences through GUI as well. And whether using Terminal for certain tasks is "needless complication" can differer from task to task and from person to person. Quite a few would describe the GUI as being "dumbed down" and find working with Terminal to be faster and more efficient, so there you go.

.... and very true!!!! :angry:

I don't get how you are not understanding this. The download was pulled. That version WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED. It was discontinued, pulled from the servers. Please do not even try and use that version it is not stable, and has since been reset. And to answer the problem you had the Live Version is not setup you will need to instal it to use it. In theory you could have logged in as root but since that versions desktop was based on AWN there would be no panels and no way to navigate anything all you would have is a wallpaper. I will post new images of the ACTUAL RUNNING build very soon!

Thanks,

- Keith.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen! :)

It has been a little while since I posted any updates for Fusion OS, and we have been working feverishly on the build that will be released on April 10th. So Without further ado I will post pictures of the latest ACTUAL BUILD no mockups but the actual build! We have made some big adjustments and chnages since the last version also development has begun on the Fusion Browser (its prescence is in the screenshots) and the top panel has changed and has a little bit different functionality.

Thanks for reading!

- Keith.

PS: Our website is in the middle of being upgraded and will have forums and support now! Also Fusion App Certifiaction is NOW OPEN! Please if you are a developer submit your app!

desktoptc.png

fusionbrowser.png

mainmenuk.png

maximizedwindow.png

nautilus.png

it's looking nice, but i hope your going somewhere more with the fusion browser because the way it is right now i can guarantee that people will complain that it just looks like a cheap firefox 4 wanna be

it's looking nice, but i hope your going somewhere more with the fusion browser because the way it is right now i can guarantee that people will complain that it just looks like a cheap firefox 4 wanna be

It is basically just going to be a rebranded version of firefox that is a smaller install and very minimal if people want a browser with all the bells and whistles then they can install Firefox or Chrome etc. But it will not be crippled and should be fine for basic web browsing needs.

- Keith.

Looking better. The top bar seems to waste a lot of space though, I can imagine the desktop feeling very cramped on laptops.

The window controls make no sense whatsoever: In windowed mode you copied the Mac OS X controls, but in full screen they change to Windows XP-styled ones. You might want to change that for the sake of consistency.

Thank you, but we did not copy the Mac OS window controls just because they are round doesn't mean we copied them. Also we will be changing it to all one style but I haven't gotten to that yet! :)

Looks quite nice now, I do agree that the change from circular to square buttons makes no sense though.

Thank you, but we did not copy the Mac OS window controls just because they are round doesn't mean we copied them.

Right the shape, location where they are placed, order in which they are placed and the symbols used to indicate the different functions just happen to be all exactly the same as on Mac OS X.

Mac OS X

screenshot20110329at014d.png

"Fusion OS"

screenshot20110329at014.png

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me but please don't insult our intelligence okay? ;)

Also we will be changing it to all one style but I haven't gotten to that yet! :)

That's fine, good to see you're aware of the issue.

What's wrong with looking like OS X?

I never said it was. I said it's a bad idea to have Mac OS X-like buttons + symbols in windowed mode and Windows-styled buttons + symbols when in full-screen. It's confusing and breaks overall consistency.

Hey Neowinians,

Today I am brining more shots of FOS but these shots are something that has been inquired abot many many MANY times, and that is, "Will there be a netbook version?" Well yes and no. We will NOT be making a version for netbooks specifically. HOWEVER, the desktop version of FOS will adapt to netbook resolutions, providing better screen real estate management. I will post screenshots below, you will also notice some big changes in the new FOS builds. There is no menu anymore, instead, there is an App Browser, Control Center, and File Browser. Another large change is that the menu bar is now integrated into the top panel. Take a look at the screen shots below and please give some feedback! We are nearing the April 10th Beta so please give as much feedback as possible! Thanks!

desktopyag.png

settingsq.png

menuyq.png

appsfull.png

- Keith.

Hey Neowinians,

Today I am brining more shots of FOS but these shots are something that has been inquired abot many many MANY times, and that is, "Will there be a netbook version?" Well yes and no. We will NOT be making a version for netbooks specifically. HOWEVER, the desktop version of FOS will adapt to netbook resolutions, providing better screen real estate management. I will post screenshots below, you will also notice some big changes in the new FOS builds. There is no menu anymore, instead, there is an App Browser, Control Center, and File Browser. Another large change is that the menu bar is now integrated into the top panel. Take a look at the screen shots below and please give some feedback! We are nearing the April 10th Beta so please give as much feedback as possible! Thanks!

- Keith.

Great seeing this shape up! Finally something that isn't a mockup! :)

Only problem I see is that the window controls w/ netbook resolution are on the right side.

Aren't they supposed to be on the left?

Right the shape, location where they are placed, order in which they are placed and the symbols used to indicate the different functions just happen to be all exactly the same as on Mac OS X.

Mac OS X

screenshot20110329at014d.png

"Fusion OS"

screenshot20110329at014.png

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me but please don't insult our intelligence okay? ;)

That's fine, good to see you're aware of the issue.

Yea it looks like that in pretty much every linux based os. 3 circles on the left side with a "x", a box, and a dash. If it were squares, they'd be copying windows, you'd might say.

@OP, I have an idea for the "start menu" I'll try to mock up. Basically it moves the commonly used folders to the top, in say 3 colums and 3-4 rows. Removes the similarity of windows, removes the two columness, and gives it some uniqueness.

Yea it looks like that in pretty much every linux based os. 3 circles on the left side with a "x", a box, and a dash. If it were squares, they'd be copying windows, you'd might say.

Mac OS 9 had squares but used totally different symbols inside them and layout just to give an example. For some reason people think it has to be either the Mac OS X or Windows way, to me that just sounds like a lack of imagination. ;)

So what does everyone think about the idea of not having a centralized menu? Would you rather keep the main menu, or have an application browser, settings browser, and file browser as pictured in the above shots? Please vote we really need your feedback on this! :)