Fusion OS

:o Is there an ISO to install this? Is this Ubuntu based? Can this install via Wubi?

April 10th my friend! A Beta version of Fusion OS will be released on April 10th, 2011.

- Keith.

I don't know much about programming, but why not just create and release your own beautiful shell or what ever that can be used on existing up to date versions of ubuntu. Instead of trying to create an entire distro.

I don't know much about programming, but why not just create and release your own beautiful shell or what ever that can be used on existing up to date versions of ubuntu. Instead of trying to create an entire distro.

That's what he's doing. He's not compiling everything on his own. That'd be an insane amount of packages. He's likely using Ubuntu or Fedora as the distro and just modifying GNOME's default settings.

Hello all,

I was sitting down with the FOS Beta today and was really using it fir day to day activities and have come to realize that the app browser is not a practical way to look for and launch apps in a desktop environment, instead it wil still be available for net books running FOS but fir desktop FOS will have a traditional main menu but it is all new and like nothing in any of the shots ever shown! I will show a screenshot if it on Sunday, and also there have been some modifications to the top bar and task bar they may be a bit more "round"? More updates coming soon. Also another note as of this point if no one is clear on this FOS will not utilize Gnome 3.0, and will be branching off of Gnome 2.x for FOS's own desktop environment.

- Keith.

Hi everyone,

I am going to show you a picture to day of what the FOS desktop looks like that will be in the April 10th Beta. Now I am not at home as of right now and can not show you an actial screenshot however I will be home tomorrow, and will upload a shot of the working build for compairison. This is a mockup I did tonight just because I want you all to be able to see the near final desktop that will be included in the Beta in the next few days! Hope everyone is satisfied with it, and PLEASE give your feedback on it! This DE is based on Gnome 2.X, not 3.0. Also see if you can pick out something new in the screenshot... very easy but something unmentioned before.. there is a clue about another product that is also launching with FOS, and the clue is in an icon. I will say no more! If youcan guess it then I will get you the build one day early or something?

fusionos.png

- Keith.

Hi everyone,

I am going to show you a picture to day of what the FOS desktop looks like that will be in the April 10th Beta. Now I am not at home as of right now and can not show you an actial screenshot however I will be home tomorrow, and will upload a shot of the working build for compairison. This is a mockup I did tonight just because I want you all to be able to see the near final desktop that will be included in the Beta in the next few days! Hope everyone is satisfied with it, and PLEASE give your feedback on it! This DE is based on Gnome 2.X, not 3.0. Also see if you can pick out something new in the screenshot... very easy but something unmentioned before.. there is a clue about another product that is also launching with FOS, and the clue is in an icon. I will say no more! If youcan guess it then I will get you the build one day early or something?

- Keith.

Only difference I see is the Chrome icon.

Unless that symbol on the Downloads icon (the || looking thing) is important, I dunno.

IMO seems a bit repetitive having a digital clock on the center of the 'menu bar' & an analog clock on the left.

And the search box magnifying glass looks kinda ugly...

Yes, the chrome icon is the difference! Fusion Browser will be based on Chrome technically Chromium. We need a browser as fast and modern as the OS it is running on! ;) Since you did guess it right first PM me your email address and I will send you the final build as soon as it is compiled which will be in the next few days. Also I answer your question about the clock that is to show when you have an upcoming appointment and it chugs color the closer it gets to the appointment. And also I am not happy with the search box either and I am going to keep playing around with it and it's design until it looks decent. Congrats.

- Keith.

Looks great! Still on track for release tomorrow? Will the installer be able to work on USB/CD? Or will you have something like Wubi?

Looks great! Still on track for release tomorrow? Will the installer be able to work on USB/CD? Or will you have something like Wubi?

I hoping LiveCD/DVD at least...

Hi everyone,

I am sooooo sorry for not getting the Beta up today, I had a family emergency that took up my whole day and as a result I wasn't home and couldnt upload the beta. But don't fret! It WILL be up tomorrow no matter what. And also to answer the question above it will be available as a live cd but as of right now there is no wubi support but it will come most likely in next beta. I think you will all be very happy with the beta and the progress thus far, development is moving more slowly now since I am pretty much the only one working on the project at the moment. Also we are in talks with the creator of the Faenza icon set to create a custom spin off of Faneza exclusively for Fusion! Tomorrows beta will be available for direct download or torrent! See you all tomorrow! Thanks for understanding.

- Keith.

I am really liking the latest screenshot, looks like you have a more focused vision coming together now, keep up the good work!. I am actually trying out elementary os right now but this looks like it could be even nicer.

I am really liking the latest screenshot, looks like you have a more focused vision coming together now, keep up the good work!. I am actually trying out elementary os right now but this looks like it could be even nicer.

Thanks very much I look forward to hearing feedback from you. I am really wanting to see how people like the app browser and control center instead of the traditional menu.

Needless complication, when you can do it all through the UI with Windows

Please tell me how to change the extensions on multiple files through the UI in Windows.

For example, on the command line I can do this:

ren *.jpeg *.jpg

or

ren *.html *.htm

but there is no way to do the equivalent action from the UI in ANY OS that I'm aware of, short of using third party renaming utilities. There are serveral other file management actions that are far quicker and easier from the command line or terminal than they are from the UI, if it is even possible to do them in the UI at all.

Please tell me how to change the extensions on multiple files through the UI in Windows.

For example, on the command line I can do this:

ren *.jpeg *.jpg

or

ren *.html *.htm

but there is no way to do the equivalent action from the UI in ANY OS that I'm aware of, short of using third party renaming utilities. There are serveral other file management actions that are far quicker and easier from the command line or terminal than they are from the UI, if it is even possible to do them in the UI at all.

There is no multi-rename gui in windows (by default), you can use ren to rename multiple, or do one at a time, by clicking the file twice, slowly... You would HAVE to use a 3rd party GUI that would do the renames.

Also, technically any "Command Line" or "Terminal" commands, are pretty much applications (ren.exe, ipconfig.exe, etc) so any Program can just run the Command Line utility with arguments. You may not get the feedback you want from the program, but it will work.

You guys really need to get a website up and running, below is a screenshot. No links, no other pages and no information. I cant help but think that this is just a joke.

I think he's still uploading it. I like the subtle changes I can see in the little preview. Just give him time, I'm sure it'll be up soon. Peace.

You guys really need to get a website up and running, below is a screenshot. No links, no other pages and no information. I cant help but think that this is just a joke.

Those random quotes made me laugh a little. xD

I'm starting to think the beta isn't being released today...

Both torrent and direct download buttons go back to the main page. :/

I got the download on the site working (had to right click save link as or it wouldn't work)

beta 1 is the one released today, yes?

Just tried that and its not working for me. :no: