Makers of ‘The Expendables’ Sue 6,500 BitTorrent Users

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#1 MatiasRaudzus

MatiasRaudzus

Neowinian

• 450 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 23:08

Will they ever learn, the lawsuits aren't working!

With worldwide box-office grosses totalling $274 million since its premiere in August of last year, The Expendables can be classified as a modest blockbuster. The film also did well on file-sharing networks such as BitTorrent, but thus far without any direct revenues. In an attempt to cash in on these unauthorized downloads, the makers of the film stood by an earlier warning and sued 6,500 BitTorrent users in the United States.

In the last 12 months filmmakers and licensees have sued well over 100,000 alleged file-sharers in the United States alone. The purpose of these lawsuits is to obtain the personal details of the alleged downloaders, and use this information to negotiate a settlement offer ranging from a few hundred to a few thousands dollars.

This scheme was pioneered in the US by the law firm Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, aka the U.S. Copyright Group (USCG), but recently it has been replicated by several other lawyers across the country. A few days ago, USCG filed a round of new lawsuits on behalf of another major client, Nu Image, the studio behind the action flick The Expendables.

After The Hurt Locker, The Expendables is the first major film release associated with this type of legal action. It is also one of the largest mass P2P lawsuits that was ever started, with a total of 6,500 unidentified defendants (Does). All defendants are suspected of having shared The Expendables on BitTorrent in recent months.

The complaint, filed by Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver at the District Court of Columbia, further appears to be copied from previous cases. It starts off with describing how BitTorrent works, and goes on to explain how the defendants have used this technology to distribute The Expendables without permission of the copyright holder.

http://torrentfreak....t-users-110208/

#2 Fluxii Media

Fluxii Media

Social Enthusiast

• 1,266 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 23:25

No, they will never learn... when will they just ditch the lawsuits and start implementing a system with torrents... release bad copies of it, if a person likes it, they'll end up getting a hard copy that has far superior quality. Get it? Pretty simple entertainment industry.

#3 OP MatiasRaudzus

MatiasRaudzus

Neowinian

• 450 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 23:55

The following proves Hollywood wrong:

Internet Piracy Boosts Anime Sales, Study Concludes

#4 LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Neowinian Senior

• 4,801 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 23:59

The problem I have with TorrentFreak is that it's always pro-piracy and constantly pointing out mistakes made by copyright laywers and RIAA, but does nothing to address the fact that people don't and never will find anything wrong with them getting something for free that they should be paying for, instead propagating a self-entitlement stance.

#5 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,941 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:25

When will people learn to stop using torrents. Nothing but a law suite waiting to happen. :D

#6 The Protagonist

The Protagonist

time for a little wget magic

• 1,415 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:27

lol torrents are so yesterday (Y)

#7 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 597 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:32

The following proves Hollywood wrong:
Internet Piracy Boosts Anime Sales, Study Concludes

The following proves torrentfreak is wrong.

The problem I have with TorrentFreak is that it's always pro-piracy and constantly pointing out mistakes made by copyright laywers and RIAA, but does nothing to address the fact that people don't and never will find anything wrong with them getting something for free that they should be paying for, instead propagating a self-entitlement stance.

Amen to that. Torrentfreak is just as bad as the MPAA, RIAA and the lawyers. It only presents a fabricated one-sided story every single time, it's just propaganda. I'm sick of seeing people quoting torrentfreak stories without actually reading the source material from those stories, which sometimes present a much less flattering story about piracy or a completely different set of facts.

It frustrates me that people are so stupid and/or selfish that they swallow this pro piracy garbage whole, just to make themselves feel better about pirating. Piracy is never going to be acceptable or viable for businesses.

I say let torrentfreak or the pirate party or some other bleating piracy advocates develop and put out commercial quality movies, games or music for free distribution via torrent, or shut up.

#8 Travelar

Travelar

Neowinian

• 413 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:33

As bad as this movie was, I can't believe 6500 people even downloaded it. However, I can't condone piracy.

#9 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

• 2,969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:42

They should sue themselves for making a bad movie.

#10 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

• 31,911 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:44

Haha.

I can't believe I wasted money on watching this movie too.. it was awful.

#11 ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

• 1,933 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:44

This.

#12 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:55

lol torrents are so yesterday (Y)

uh so whats today?

#13 MR_Candyman

MR_Candyman

Neowinian Senior

• 12,761 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:55

The following proves torrentfreak is wrong.

Amen to that. Torrentfreak is just as bad as the MPAA, RIAA and the lawyers. It only presents a fabricated one-sided story every single time, it's just propaganda. I'm sick of seeing people quoting torrentfreak stories without actually reading the source material from those stories, which sometimes present a much less flattering story about piracy or a completely different set of facts.

It frustrates me that people are so stupid and/or selfish that they swallow this pro piracy garbage whole, just to make themselves feel better about pirating. Piracy is never going to be acceptable or viable for businesses.

I say let torrentfreak or the pirate party or some other bleating piracy advocates develop and put out commercial quality movies, games or music for free distribution via torrent, or shut up.

All that said is that it negatively affects DVD RENTALS, it specifically states it does not negatively affect sales. Personally, I'm sure as hell not spending $10 to rent a movie (that's the going rate around here) when I can buy it brand new for $20. I download stuff, and if I like it, I buy it, always.

I haven't seen this particular movie, because I knew it would be crap.

#14 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

• 3,527 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:07

When will people learn to stop using torrents. Nothing but a law suite waiting to happen. :D

Hell, i THANK those torrent users for keeping torrents popular, this way it keeps the other 'alternatives' off the radar ;)

#15 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,440 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:18

Hell, i THANK those torrent users for keeping torrents popular, this way it keeps the other 'alternatives' off the radar ;)

If you think these companies don't know of the other 'alternatives,' I've got some ocean front property to sell you up here in MN ;)