What is your prefered method of paying for something?

What is your prefered method of paying for your purchases?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When you go shopping, how do you usally pay for your purchases?

• Cash
    • Debit/Bank Card
    • Credit Card
    • Phone (Google wallet, samsung, apple, etc)

When you go to a physical store/restaurant and make a purchase, what method do you use the most? Feel free to comment if you use multiple methods, or simply choose the one that you use the most frequently.

Although my phone is set up for tap, I always use my debit card.

I use my phone at the Tim Hortons drive thru though, for scanning my Tim Card.

NFC - card/phone. I usually have to walk by drunk homeless daily so I don't want any loose change rattling away as I tell them I have no change. :D

Credit card... for the points!  It is like free money (since I haven't paid CC interest in over a decade). Bought my unlocked s7 with points I accumulated. :)

• Like 4

Credit card. It is just easier. If you pay attention and pay it off on time (mine is on the same bank account as my savings and checking, so that is very simple) it is just more convenient. Except for the stupid chip ones. I'm not *that* concerned about security. Then again, I don't have much to steal anyway.

I use my credit card for the cash back rewards.  I just pay it off a couple times a week, and never get any interest.  Like Jim K said, it's free money.  I have over $500 in cash back rewards saved up, so I may end up using it on the Xbox One Scorpio later this year.

Credit card for the rewards.  Paid back in full at the end of the month to not pay any interest.

• 2 months later...

There should be a few more granular options. I voted debit .. but the one I would have voted for is "Debit most of the time except for big box stores which have their own app."

Most of the time I use Debit, but the only stores I really shop at are Hyvee, Fareway and Walmart. I use Debit at hyvee and fareway but I use Walmart Pay for Walmart. Walmart pay is amazing I love it!

On 5/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, Fahim S. said:

Credit card for the rewards.  Paid back in full at the end of the month to not pay any interest.

What card do you have?

It depends what it is for me.

Usually debit card.  I used to have a credit card that gave me cashback but I barely made enough to cover the monthly cost (Santander 123 CC) - used that for fuel and food.  But now use debit card.

If it's less than £5, I usually use cash.

I usually use debit card, if only for the face that I don't like carrying a lot of money for security/safety

with someone elses money if possible? :p 

joking aside CC when possible, except for paltry amounts then im sold totally on contactless payment, love it! Cant recall the last time i had to enter a PIN.

Very seldom "go shopping" so I usually pay with cash. About the only thing I ever have to pay for is the gas in my car, in which case I use my debit card then.

Debit card. I practically never carry cash anymore. Haven't had a checkbook in over a decade. I do have "tap" access but I keep the NFC off, S7's battery isn't so great to begin with lol.

Android Pay where supported, Walmart Pay when I'm at Walmart and credit card for everything else. I then bank the rewards and pay off the balance weekly.  

I mostly use my debit card because I'm waaaaay too lazy to find coins. I use cash in bars, when I don't want to make the waiter run around looking for the card reader. Or when they don't even have one, obviously. I'll go back to using cash full time when I'm rich and I can just give huge tips to everyone, that way I'll just give them huge bills and never deal with coins. "Keep the change" "Sir, I asked for 14, you gave me 50" "Yeah but I really don't want to see your poor people's coins"

Also, I like the debit cart more than the credit card, because it gets charged directly on my bank account (or maybe in a 24h window), as opposed to my credit card which charges me at the end of each month, so I feel less "indebted" this way.

I don't want to set it up on a phone because I don't really see the point : I already have a plastic brick that pays for me, it's called a card. Plus that way I don't need to worry about emptying the battery.

• Like 1

credit card.  it is much safer then using debit, and i can pay it in the end of the month from my debit account and earn points :)

i use debit to pay only in large chains, where there is little chance that the machine have being tempered with.

small places - it is very easy to modify the reader to copy your information, and, while credit card will easily refund fraudulent charges, the debit account fraud will require police report and lengthy investigation.

15 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

What card do you have?

It depends what it is for me.

Usually debit card.  I used to have a credit card that gave me cashback but I barely made enough to cover the monthly cost (Santander 123 CC) - used that for fuel and food.  But now use debit card.

If it's less than £5, I usually use cash.

John Lewis Partnership Card for most purchases. Amazon Credit Card for Amazon purchases.