Xbox One X

4 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

(because I don't know why we're still using the reveal thread after it's been revealed)

product page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-x?xr=shellnav

This'll be the first console I've ever preordered, I'm pretty excited about it. :)  I hope MS can win back some PS4 focused devs with this.

What exactly are you excited about? I don't mean that to sound as negative as it does but I'm curious. For me, I'm still mixed on whether I'll get it or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, freak180 said:

Better Performance for a console and 4k gaming?

Whilst that sounds obvious, is it honestly something to get excited for? I know it's not a bad thing but I honestly am not actually that excited by it.

I'm still undecided about it, but looking forward to hearing more about it over the course of the year. 

Are you actually able to pre-order it yet? I haven't seen anything on the MS website or the usual outlets. 

Just now, Skiver said:

Whilst that sounds obvious, is it honestly something to get excited for? I know it's not a bad thing but I honestly am not actually that excited by it.

I think it's exciting if it's your first foray into console (or Xbox) gaming. If you already own a One, unless you need the latest and greatest, I feel there's very little reason to upgrade.

39 minutes ago, Skiver said:

What exactly are you excited about? I don't mean that to sound as negative as it does but I'm curious. For me, I'm still mixed on whether I'll get it or not.

Obviously, the performance is a big thing.  It outperforms my PC on a lot of stuff.  I don't know if all big name devs will update their code to support it but I would expect most of them to.  Right now, I'm mostly doing console gaming on the PS4 Pro and it's a damn nice machine.

The Xbox Ones perf, well.  Disappointing is the best word, because it was usually fine but you could tell it wasn't amazing. (Depending on the game the foliage popping in, low game resolutions, noticable skipping in some racing games with the better cars, a terrible hard drive which fortunately you could bypass with an external...)  Just that the original versions of these consoles couldn't even do 1080p smoothly was disappointing, nevermind antialiasing and all that.  It wasn't a big problem for me when playing the games, but I definitely preferred playing on my PC.

That I don't need to replace my game library or controllers or anything with it is awesome.  I already have a nice collection of X1 games (including anything I've bought with Play Anywhere so the saves will transfer right over from my PC.)

And usually, one thing I like about playing on consoles is just how dang quiet they are when gaming compared to a normal machine.  I have no idea if that will apply to this box as well or not.

I don't know how much I care about 4K yet, though I'm sure I'll find out pretty soon.

When we first learned about these mid-cycle updates I was pretty annoyed that it could split the developers on which console to develop for. But now that both console play the same games, and 4K/HDR is enabled with patches, I am almost wishing they did have exclusive content. Otherwise, there's really no reason for me to want or buy one. I'd rather they'd both move on to the 9th generation with completely new hardware and cut the bagged of the under powered mobile CPU 2013 consoles, which we're still stuck with in 2017. Finally, the prospect of downloading 100 GB 4K assets is not something I want to deal with for a device which is supposed to be "pick up and play".

I'll be putting my money into more PC hardware instead (Y)

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Finally, the prospect of downloading 100 GB 4K assets is not something I want to deal with for a device which is supposed to be "pick up and play".

Gears of War 4 is already 100GB on PC and I think pretty big on the console too.  Quantum Break, I think, was >70GB on the console.  Not really sure anymore.

This is not the first time large games will be out in recent memory, and it won't be the last on consoles or PC.

That said, assuming all games will be that large is silly.  I still remember people arguing at me that every game would be 60GB when the X1 released.

6 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

Gears of War 4 is already 100GB on PC and I think pretty big on the console too.  Quantum Break, I think, was >70GB on the console.  Not really sure anymore.

This is not the first time large games will be out in recent memory, and it won't be the last on consoles or PC.

That said, assuming all games will be that large is silly.  I still remember people arguing at me that every game would be 60GB when the X1 released.

I don't think it's silly, console game patches have exploded in size and both MS and Sony do not seem to want to use discs with more layers. Hence we are met with 10's of GB day one patches with discs only containing a fraction of the game.

Whole video game collections are going to be wiped out if the "patches" / servers are ever removed / turned off. At least last generation you could pop a disc in and ignore TUs/patches and still play a game.

Short of compressing things to hell and back, not much we can do about game sizes, as we move to 4k and textures get more real and so on, game size will only grow with time, not go down.  Unless there's some super fancy way to compress things, but then we're talking added install time to uncompress files and so on.  At least they're smart about only giving you the 4k stuff if you're on the X, so installs and updates for non-X owners will be on the smaller side.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I don't think it's silly, console game patches have exploded in size

You should see how many games on my Xbox One are less than 5GB!  It would blow your mind!  (Apparently.)

Yes, it's bloody silly.  First party titles might continue to be large but the majority of them aren't going to be.

10 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

You should see how many games on my Xbox One are less than 5GB!  It would blow your mind!  (Apparently.)

Yes, it's bloody silly.  First party titles might continue to be large but the majority of them aren't going to be.

Retail games or downloadable games? Name some retail games (typical AAA ) less than 5 GB for me please, I'm interested to know.

Even the typical rehashed sports title from EA each year is 20+.

Just now, Andrew said:

Retail games or downloadable games? Name some retail games (typical AAA ) less than 5 GB for me please, I'm interested to know.

I don't keep a lot of games installed if I'm not playing them, so I rather can't.  But if we're talking retail games the number of them that are over 40GB is very low from what I've seen so far.  (I copy to and from external hard drives every so often.)

Hell, the only thing I've seen huge on my system is the Halo MCC with ODST added on (@70GB)

7 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

I don't keep a lot of games installed if I'm not playing them, so I rather can't.  But if we're talking retail games the number of them that are over 40GB is very low from what I've seen so far.  (I copy to and from external hard drives every so often.)

Hell, the only thing I've seen huge on my system is the Halo MCC with ODST added on (@70GB)

Well it may comes as a surprise if you actually look into the install sizes for games, and factor in not everyone wants to swap HDDs or have multiple hooked up, to have a quick MP game of XYZ when they're friend's ask. When games like Halo 5 already weigh in at 100 GB and 4K assets weighing in at 100 GB (for a title like Forza 7 - Halo 6 could easily eclipse this), it's ballooning out of control and faster than hard drives keep up.

Either way, this is my personal experience I'm talking about - we obviously use our consoles differently and have different game libraries. It is turning me away from console gaming and back to PC. Not a single game I have installed on Steam is near 100 GB.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Well it may comes as a surprise if you actually look into the install sizes for games

As I just said, I do.  Regularly.  More often than I should really, on any of my platforms.

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Either way, this is my personal experience I'm talking about - we obviously use our consoles differently and have different game libraries. It is turning me away from console gaming and back to PC. Not a single game I have installed on Steam is near 100 GB.

Which is fair enough, I still buy everything disc only and will never go straight download until the day they stop pressing discs and would of been exploding as well with missing assets from disc if I was still on ADSL, recently with the fibre 100Mbp roll out in Australia I'll manage fine, when the backbone can handle 1Gbps being unlocked for everyone I'll be even happier.

How many games on steam do you run in 4K and what size are those but? We'll see soon game sizes the same roughly across the board for those chasing 4K.

I can understand why they won't expand disc content this mid release, only the S and X have the ability to read the larger disc sizes so what happens to those who can't on the original xbox? And on the original and S not needing that content at all?

Some other questions I've thought about recently but,

The next question is what size HDDS do we want minimum off next gen? 4TB minimum? HDDS this gen where way to small, The portable USB with several TB on my xbox has saved me from release from ever really needing to delete a title. Sony fell behind in this regard for years and it blew my mind we only just got what was massively needed. Just look at the sizes of a couple of CoDs and the Remastered.

Will Sony and Microsoft even provide the content on the disc or get away with minimum pressing and still demand the large downloads on every title? We're pretty much slowly transitioned to always connected now which was a massive blow up at the start of the generation. Have people become more accepting? Or has internet just progressed that much? It has in Australia and don't find myself no where near as outraged as I was when Microsoft first tried announcing it.

What happens to these massive game sizes and downloads for those still without a 4K next gen will people deal with the downloads for down sampling?

Anyway will have preorder day one, ability to play 3 generations of great games on one console, 4K gaming, that's all I need. 

1 hour ago, Vandalsquad said:

The next question is what size HDDS do we want minimum off next gen? 4TB minimum? HDDS this gen where way to small, The portable USB with several TB on my xbox has saved me from release from ever really needing to delete a title. Sony fell behind in this regard for years and it blew my mind we only just got what was massively needed. Just look at the sizes of a couple of CoDs and the Remastered.

I can't seem to edit in this forum anymore.  Sigh.  It's a good forum when it works...which is not often enough.

I was going to say I'll continue being happy with a 1TB included as long as I can use an external.  I don't know about what they plan past X1X/PS4P, but I don't expect them to go past 1TB for the default.

I think by the simple nature of the hardware, PC games still also being sold on DVDs and never making the move to BDs, games on steam, install sizes, are smaller because they're probably using more compression compared to the consoles which would rather just not compress, to speed up loading and so on, and take up more of your disk space.

But still, I mean look here, I just grabbed Dishonored 2 from the Steam summer sale and it says it needs 60GB, I'd say that's around the new average for AAA games.

1 hour ago, George P said:

I think by the simple nature of the hardware, PC games still also being sold on DVDs and never making the move to BDs, games on steam, install sizes, are smaller because they're probably using more compression compared to the consoles which would rather just not compress, to speed up loading and so on, and take up more of your disk space.

But still, I mean look here, I just grabbed Dishonored 2 from the Steam summer sale and it says it needs 60GB, I'd say that's around the new average for AAA games.

Hey it may be an outlier but FF13 needed 60GB on PC.  Titanfall did.  It's not 'normal'  on either system but it does happen.

Recore is around 6-7GB on the console and 9 on PC or something, and that has a retail release.

Looks like install sizes should be getting a lot more dynamic than usual.

http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-x-will-always-download-4k-assets-regardless-connected-tv/

As part our developer readiness for Xbox One X, we have made available a feature which will give them significant flexibility when it comes to what gets installed on a user’s console. In addition to 4K specific assets, developers have options when it comes to language specific assets as well, which depending on the title, can drastically reduce the install footprint. This ability to intelligently install the best assets for each console and language are available on all Xbox One devices, and it will be up to the developer of the game to determine the specific implementation.

Edited by dwLostCat

Some footage from Assassin's Creed Origins on the One X. Definitely a good looking game. The more I see the more I think that November is going to be an expensive month :p

So I haven't watched all of it yet, but the first few minutes and I see skin/kill animals and think Far Cry. I see using an eagle to spot faraway targets/explore the area and I think Watch Dogs :p

Pretty sure Assassins Creed was the framework for everything Ubisoft does so you might be a bit backwards on that.

I still haven't finished Black Flag.

Uggh, I couldn't watch the video to the end, such sloppy gameplay.  Not how I play AC games at all, I always go for the most stealthy play I can.

• 1 month later...