Xbox One X


Recommended Posts

madd-hatter
On 8/23/2017 at 3:20 PM, dwLostCat said:

 

 

I see your perspective, but you took my original comment too personally; it wasn't directed at you, it was simply what came to mind after watching the reveal video. My "a fool and his money are soon parted" comment was meant as a commentary on this 1.1, 1.2 version trend that both MS and Sony are guilty of with the current console generation. I find this style of releases for these consoles deplorable.

 

I personally purchased the original Xbox One for the Master Chief Collection and it was the worst experience I've had with any console, ever. Not only was MCC embarrassingly incomplete and lacking any real network support, the UI, speed, and functionality of the XB1 itself on release was a clear step backwards from what the 360 had established. I sold off that PoS console and then this trend began of consoles being re-released, insulting the true fans who were suckered into buying rushed versions of inferior hardware and half-assed software. It is gross, is sickens me. I returned to PC gaming and have watched from the sideline as this non-sense continues. 

 

 

Edited by Andrew
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Starry

(Note to self: People consider it being called an idiot when they weren't.)

 

2.5 months is a long wait for awesomeness. =)

 

The X1 did have more than its share of issues when I got it, can't deny that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
WildWayz
2 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

(Note to self: People consider it being called an idiot when they weren't.)

 

2.5 months is a long wait for awesomeness. =)

 

The X1 did have more than its share of issues when I got it, can't deny that.

I hope the install time is sorted. PS4 takes seconds / minutes - my XO sometimes took hours... Not even patching anything, just installing off disc!

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Starry
1 minute ago, WildWayz said:

I hope the install time is sorted. PS4 takes seconds / minutes - my XO sometimes took hours... Not even patching anything, just installing off disc!

Yeah, but they didn't make it clear how much was installling off the disc and how much was downloading patches.  Some of those patches were admittedly nuts.

 

Fortunately I didn't really do discs this gen on X.  I got a bunch for the PS4 Pro because I'm not even sure if I'll keep it long term, but I'm sure they'll be worthless by the time I let it go anyway.

 

Apparently my ISP has decided to get me 50mb internet by the end of the year, so I'll probably go back to digital.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
WildWayz

I'm lucky... Got 300mbit connection so digital only is fine for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P

It's kind of funny how, oh, 4 years ago, the idea of digital only was this huge no no by gamers, but now as time goes on everyones going digital.  I think the last game on disc i bought was 3 years ago?   The long time PC gamers have been doing the digital only option forever I'd say, specially the steam lovers out there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ
31 minutes ago, George P said:

It's kind of funny how, oh, 4 years ago, the idea of digital only was this huge no no by gamers, but now as time goes on everyones going digital.  I think the last game on disc i bought was 3 years ago?   The long time PC gamers have been doing the digital only option forever I'd say, specially the steam lovers out there.  

I've done the opposite, gone from digital only on the Xbox One to only buying games on disc on the PS4, due to the resale value and that i can buy far cheaper and often preowned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Starry
On 8/26/2017 at 0:09 PM, George P said:

It's kind of funny how, oh, 4 years ago, the idea of digital only was this huge no no by gamers, but now as time goes on everyones going digital.  I think the last game on disc i bought was 3 years ago?   The long time PC gamers have been doing the digital only option forever I'd say, specially the steam lovers out there.  

I still think if there were obvious benefits (say lower cost of new games, for example) people would've been happy to buy an all digital console.  They weren't really giving a solid presentation as to why the users would want it that way, IMO.

 

I have been almost all digital for a long time, and it's only recently (depending on the game, of course) I'm starting to regret it.  But, supposedly I get a major ISP upgrade this year so that won't last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Vandalsquad

Have 100Mbps at the moment and will shortly be getting 1Gbps in the coming months and still will refuse to go digital ever until discs are no longer pressed. Xbox install times is because largely it updates as it installs. Disconnect from the net before hand if you don't have a decent connection.

 

Tomb Raider comparison. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P

I think that going forward the system will be smart about updates and we could start to see smaller ones in the future.  As long as you're not getting any new content and the updates are fixes, then they should be small. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hedon

These Xbox One X games are just through the roof amazing. I never thought I would see the day we would have PC quality games on console. Xbox One X brings home the bacon baby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P

One could say that PC gaming hasn't really been jumping by leaps and bounds for quite some time now.  We've been getting held back by developers need to be able to get their games to play on the weaker consoles for the past 10+ years. 

 

Now with the X, consoles are getting into PC spec territory and the games won't be as held back as they were. 

 

I think we'll finally see a meaningful jump in game graphics with the next consoles, probably around 2020.  Bumping the res up to 4k is just one step of what's possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
WildWayz

I agree. I don't think it is the case with the Pro / XOX - but the next major release WILL be 4K 60Hz. It has to be.

The Jaguar chip holds back so much. Changing it to something much more modern will improve things massively. Technology is moving ahead again with cooler / smaller chips etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver

Can't believe I missed out on the Scorpio edition :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
WildWayz
Just now, Skiver said:

Can't believe I missed out on the Scorpio edition :(

I just cancelled mine on Amazon UK... ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver
Just now, WildWayz said:

I just cancelled mine on Amazon UK... ;)

*Refreshes Amazon constantly*

 

Not a big deal of course, just never expected to not have the choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
31 minutes ago, George P said:

One could say that PC gaming hasn't really been jumping by leaps and bounds for quite some time now.  We've been getting held back by developers need to be able to get their games to play on the weaker consoles for the past 10+ years. 

 

Now with the X, consoles are getting into PC spec territory and the games won't be as held back as they were. 

 

I think we'll finally see a meaningful jump in game graphics with the next consoles, probably around 2020.  Bumping the res up to 4k is just one step of what's possible. 

yep, pretty much sums it up, seeing 8k textures running on DSR on a 4k monitor@60fps via my 1080ti sig rig is a sight to see ;) console heads who make the leap will wet their little tidy whiteys :p ill probs just pick up a cheap 2nd hand One S for downstairs, still waiting for the killer One X title....that isnt cross platform play, until then its mileage for me varies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck
20 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Can't believe I missed out on the Scorpio edition :(

I will sell you the one I am getting for $1000... :p

 

I almost missed out myself.  Got mine in a few days before MS announced they were sold out.  All you are missing is a diff case design.  Other hardware should be the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver
8 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I will sell you the one I am getting for $1000... :p

 

I almost missed out myself.  Got mine in a few days before MS announced they were sold out.  All you are missing is a diff case design.  Other hardware should be the same.

 

$2000 or no deal... hold on a second!?

 

If I'm honest I probably wouldn't have pre-ordered had I have been around when it was announced. A Couple of unexpected outgoings have left me a little short at the moment so I won't be ordering mine until I can be sure I'll have the funds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
16 minutes ago, Skiver said:

$2000 or no deal... hold on a second!?

 

If I'm honest I probably wouldn't have pre-ordered had I have been around when it was announced. A Couple of unexpected outgoings have left me a little short at the moment so I won't be ordering mine until I can be sure I'll have the funds.

sensible lad sensible :) no point getting into cc debt for a bit of tech IMO.

Im in the same boat got 50% set aside for a new big 4k gsync mon by end of the year i should have enough HDR is probs out due to the costs they reckoning for gsyc big 35 UW HDRs knocking around £1500, thats just way too much.

 

Toying with a good 43ish 4k HDR TV and just putting up with 60hz on hdmi, pity they didnt have DP :) on a wall bracket just above my samsung 27" main display. Gaming and media on the TV, windows on the 27

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck
2 minutes ago, Mando said:

sensible lad sensible :) no point getting into cc debt for a bit of tech IMO.

Im in the same boat got 50% set aside for a new big 4k gsync mon by end of the year i should have enough HDR is probs out due to the costs they reckoning for gsyc big 35 UW HDRs knocking around £1500, thats just way too much.

Yea, I am waiting on buying my 4k TV myself.  I have the funds, just looking for a deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
Just now, techbeck said:

Yea, I am waiting on buying my 4k TV myself.  I have the funds, just looking for a deal.

saw some cracking HDR pro (they do both types of HDR) under £450 mate. starting at 43" LG deffo and sammys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck
3 minutes ago, Mando said:

saw some cracking HDR pro (they do both types of HDR) under £450 mate. starting at 43" LG deffo and sammys.

Looking for a 50in or more.   I will seriously look at it close it comes to getting the X1X.

Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo
4 minutes ago, Mando said:

saw some cracking HDR pro (they do both types of HDR) under £450 mate. starting at 43" LG deffo and sammys.

Ooh do you have links? I've been looking out for a HDR Pro TV around that size. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidosho
On 8/25/2017 at 0:50 PM, madd-hatter said:

 

I see your perspective, but you took my original comment too personally; it wasn't directed at you, it was simply what came to mind after watching the reveal video. My "a fool and his money are soon parted" comment was meant as a commentary on this 1.1, 1.2 version trend that both MS and Sony are guilty of with the current console generation. I find this style of releases for these consoles deplorable.

 

I personally purchased the original Xbox One for the Master Chief Collection and it was the worst experience I've had with any console, ever. Not only was MCC embarrassingly incomplete and lacking any real network support, the UI, speed, and functionality of the XB1 itself on release was a clear step backwards from what the 360 had established. I sold off that PoS console and then this trend began of consoles being re-released, insulting the true fans who were suckered into buying rushed versions of inferior hardware and half-assed software. It is gross, is sickens me. I returned to PC gaming and have watched from the sideline as this non-sense continues. 

It isn't just MS and Sony. Apple do it with every device, the iPad being the one that comes to mind. It's Apple that started the inferior release craze AFAIK, so you've got them to thank for the rest of the stupid industry following the control freaks yet again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.