Russia banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang

Citing “systematic manipulation” of anti-doping rules, a 14-person International Olympic Committee panel announced Tuesday it has banned Russia from the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang. The panel had been mulling a confidential IOC report that detailed Russia’s official doping program during the 2014 Sochi Olympics, and the extensive cover-up.

As a result of this ban, no Russian officials will be allowed to attend the games. Their flag will be excluded from any display, and if any Russian athletes are given permission to attend, they won’t be competing under the Russian flag. They’ll compete under a neutral flag, and any medals they win won’t be credited to Russia.

This ban was a long time coming. The McLaren Report, released in two parts by the World Anti-Doping Agency in July and December 2016, detailed the doping and subsequent cover-up by the Russian state. It started as far back as 2011 and involves at least the 2012 Olympics in London and the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, though the IOC panel was only asked to rule on the doping that occurred during the 2014 Olympics. Over 1,000 athletes were involved.

Read the rest here https://www.yahoo.com/sports/russia-banned-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang-183735604.html

Glad to see them getting what they deserved for the debacle they caused in 2014.

Im glad to see that any innocent clean athletes from Russia may be able to compete under a neutral flag.

To a lot of athletes not cheating, this could have been a massive blow to their careers. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/42242007

19 minutes ago, Mando said:

To a lot of athletes not cheating, this could have been a massive blow to their careers.

Few people can ruin it for the masses. 

Im glad to see that any innocent clean athletes from Russia may be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Me to.  Russia is good competition and at least the honest athletes can compete.  I would imagine if any medals are won, they may be worth more down the road....?

• Like 3

Russia should boycott the 2018 games completely. The issue is being discussed and I fully support this idea. Allowing the Russian athletes to participate under a neutral flag is humiliating. We already did this twice in 1992 (both the Winter and Summer Games were held in that year), never again.

The Russian athletes were the cleanest in Rio two years ago. We've already gone thru this.

The whole issue is just a branch of the western omnipresent russophobia and agitprop extending into the field of sports.

14 minutes ago, wakjak said:

No. No it is not.

They got caught red handed.

no no, the west clearly pumped steroids into Russian athletes, couldnt possibly be cheating by the state.

Look, evidence from the Russian Ministry on the matter..... 

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.d3780863b9bb2c757797f3e4d2ddaea3.jpg

Sarcasm Disclaimer

9 minutes ago, Mando said:

no no, the west clearly pumped steroids into Russian athletes, couldnt possibly be cheating by the state.

Look, evidence from the Russian Ministry on the matter..... 

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.d3780863b9bb2c757797f3e4d2ddaea3.jpg

Sarcasm Disclaimer

is that Daley Thompson's Decathlon? I loved that Arcade machine!

Just now, Yogurth said:

is that Daley Thompson's Decathlon? I loved that Arcade machine!

heheh showing your age mate, nah its Hypersports. 

IIRC Daley Thompsons Decathlon was published by Ocean. Many a quickshot joystick died with Daley Ts game 

daley_thompsons_decathlon.thumb.png.5d60c314475d97be1c5ed14679697afc.png

• Like 2

It is a wrong decision, punish all for cheating few. I do not agree at all with this. It is, unfortunately, political decision and sports and politricks should never get mixed.

Just now, Mando said:

heheh showing your age mate, nah its Hypersports. 

IIRC Daley Thompsons Decathlon was published by Ocean. Many a quickshot joystick died with Daley Ts game 

daley_thompsons_decathlon.thumb.png.5d60c314475d97be1c5ed14679697afc.png

OMG, we are too old :)

4 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

It is a wrong decision, punish all for cheating few. I do not agree at all with this. It is, unfortunately, political decision and sports and politricks should never get mixed.

At least any proven to be free of banned substances are permitted to compete under a neutral flag. I suspect the claimed cover up by the state is why as a nation, they have been banned. 

A few is 4 or 5, we aint talking a "few" mate.

The McLaren report concluded 1,000 athletes across 30 sports benefitted from the doping programme between 2012 and 2015.

Anyone with common sense can see it was state sponsored mate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mando said:

At least any proven to be free of banned substances are permitted to compete under a neutral flag. I suspect the claimed cover up by the state is why as a nation, they have been banned. 

The McLaren report concluded 1,000 athletes across 30 sports benefitted from the doping programme between 2012 and 2015. Anyone with common sense can see it was state sponsored mate.

So it's not really punishing all for the "few", it's punishing all, for the majority.

7 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Pahahahahaha, good.  I genuinely don't care beyond the fact it annoys the obvious propagandists on here.

The western double standards are annoying.

You allow past dopers from NATO countries to take part in the games.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mando said:

The McLaren report concluded 1,000 athletes across 30 sports benefitted from the doping programme between 2012 and 2015. Anyone with common sense can see it was state sponsored mate.

I don't argue that but why disallow, to those that did not participate in doping, representation of their country? It does not sit right with me. Some sports are so taxing to athletes bodies that they have only one chance to do this in their life.

Edited by Yogurth

Russian Olympic chief says Russia will appeal IOC ban: R-Sport

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The President of Russia’s Olympic Committee, Alexander Zhukov, said on Tuesday that Russian athletes will appeal the International Olympic Committee (IOC) ban from the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), R-Sport news agency reported.

Reuters

Side notes ... CAS dismissed Russian heptathlete Tatyana Chernova's appeal a few days ago.  22 Russian athletes have filed appeals with CAS today.

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/index.html

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

The western double standards are annoying.

You allow past dopers from NATO countries to take part in the games.

Oh, how terrible - it's "annoying"...  I am allowing NATO countries to do what?  You overestimate my involvement here - I'm just enjoying the show :)

1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

I don't argue that but why disallow, to those that did not participate in doping, representation of their country? It does not sit right with me. Some sports are so taxing to athletes bodies that they have only one chance to do this in their life.

From what I understand, the evidence to say the Russian authorities tried to cover up the situation after they tested positive, is why the nation as a competing state is banned. 

this is not a unique situation, plenty other countries have been banned for misdemeanors bringing the Olympic sports into disrepute.

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/bans.htm

I totally understand why you see it as unfair on the innocents to represent their countries mate.

If you fly with the crows, dont be surprised if you get shot down with them as an old proverb says, not really fair to individuals, i agree.

4 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Allowing the Russian athletes to participate under a neutral flag is humiliating.

Maybe it is just me, but I would think it would be more humiliating getting caught doping and having medals taken away.

The whole issue is just a branch of the western omnipresent russophobia and agitprop extending into the field of sport

Playing the victim.  Anything against Russia is because the west is out to get them.  Athletes were caught doping.  Investigation has been going on for a long time now.  And lets not forget this....

Russian Doctor Explains How He Helped Beat Doping Tests at the Sochi Olympics

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/13/sports/russia-doping-sochi-olympics-2014.html

12 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

I am allowing NATO countries to do what?  You overestimate my involvement here - I'm just enjoying the show :)

you

juː/

pronoun

pronoun: you

- used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.

"are you listening?"

- used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class.

"you Russophobes"

- used in exclamations to address one or more people.

"you fools"

- used to refer to any person in general.

"after a while, you get used to it"

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

you

juː/

pronoun

pronoun: you

- used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.

"are you listening?"

- used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class.

"you Russophobes"

- used in exclamations to address one or more people.

"you fools"

- used to refer to any person in general.

"after a while, you get used to it"

I see, so "you" (meaning the pro-Russia propagandist Mirumir) chose to use a word that has multiple meanings, when addressing a singular person (as denoted by the quote) but now wishes to express that they meant one of the other uses of the word.

Excuses, blame and wordplay - I guess "you" are right - "after a while, you get used to it"

9 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Maybe it is just me, but I would think it would be more humiliating getting caught doping and having medals taken away.

Playing the victim.  Anything against Russia is because the west is out to get them.  Athletes were caught doping.  Investigation has been going on for a long time now.  And lets not forget this....

Russian Doctor Explains How He Helped Beat Doping Tests at the Sochi Olympics

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/13/sports/russia-doping-sochi-olympics-2014.html

2/3 of the Russian team participated in Rio since that was revealed.

What's new?

Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for Russia's foreign ministry, told a news conference the country's enemies had turned to sport because they had failed to isolate Moscow economically and politically.

23 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

2/3 of the Russian team participated in Rio since that was revealed.

What's new?

Takes a while to complete the investigation.  And Russia has not be cooperative either or officials trying to cover things up as well.    Also, a lot of athletes were not allowed to compete in the Rio Olympics.  New info was also obtained recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_Russia

7 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

the country's enemies had turned to sport because they had failed to isolate Moscow economically and politically.

:rolleyes:   Playing the victim.  Absolutley no evidence to support this.  People got caught and now they are looking for a scape goat.  They want the whistle blower (guy who ratted them all out) labeled as a traitor to Russia as well.

In November 2017 IOC disciplinary commission headed by Denis Oswald imposed first sanctions after its yearlong Sochi investigations. As of December 2, 2017, 25 Russian athletes have been sanctioned and 11 medals have been stripped.

On November 10, 2017, the day after Vladimir Putin had accused the U.S. of ginning up problems for Russian athletes[97], WADA said in a news release that it had obtained an electronic file that contains “all testing data” from January 2012 to August 2015 — thousands of drug screenings run on Russian athletes. The database, which the Russian authorities were unwilling to share with antidoping investigators, arrived through a whistleblower.[98] Head of Russian Ski Association has told the press that "whistleblowers are traitors to their country" shortly thereafter.[99] Russia's ski team coach went even further and accused Ilia Chernousov (a skier who won a bronze medal in 50 km event and might be upgraded to gold after disqualifications) of "leaking information" to WADA.[100]

On November 11, 2017 it was revealed that Grigory Rodchenkov had provided new evidence of Russian state-sponsored doping to the IOC, noting that he will consider to go public if the Schmid Commission does not give due weight to his evidence in any public findings.[101]

On November 16, 2017 WADA announced that Russia remained non-compliant with its Code.[102] On November 26, 2017 IAAF decided to maintain Russia's ban from international track and field competitions, saying the country had not done enough to tackle doping.[103]

In an interview with the New York Times Rodchenkov has told that Yuri Nagornykh, the deputy minister of sport, had asked him to incriminate a Ukrainian athlete, Vita Semerenko, during a competition in Moscow leading up to the Olympics. Rodchenkov did not comply, convincing the minister that a retest of the drug sample would show the drugs had been spiked into the sample rather than passed through a human body. “I could not have done this to an innocent athlete,” he said. “During my career, I reported many Dirty Samples as clean, but never the other way around.”.[104]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_Russia#November_to_December_2017

• Like 1