Russia banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang

6 hours ago, Mirumir said:

More than 170 Russian athletes will participate in the upcoming games wearing a grey gestapo prisoner type of a uniform:

grey.thumb.jpg.1fb9ba93b3e04bdf4e4aaf02020bb4b9.jpg

Gestapo/SS prisoners usually wore thin fabric striped uniforms. This being a similar to their prisoner uniform is a big stretch. Looks like regular sportswear.

7 hours ago, Mirumir said:

More than 170 Russian athletes will participate in the upcoming games wearing a grey gestapo prisoner type of a uniform:

grey.thumb.jpg.1fb9ba93b3e04bdf4e4aaf02020bb4b9.jpg

Will they then have themselves "symbolically" gassed to death at the end of the games?

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Will they then have themselves "symbolically" gassed to death at the end of the games?

That must be the wishful thinking of a Russophobe living inside of you.

Thanks for letting me know (again).

Just now, Mirumir said:

That must be the wishful thinking of a Russophobe living inside of you.

Thanks for letting me know (again).

Nope. More just taking the Mickey at the obvious ridiculousness of their "symbolic" gesture.  Because IOC bans are the exact same thing as the Gestapo. Right. Sure. :rolleyes: 

And I'm no Russophobe.  I'll criticise anyone who acts like a dumbass, and though they're certainly justified in protesting those bans, comparing the IOC to the Gestapo is completely worthy of criticism.

On 12/6/2017 at 5:47 AM, Mando said:

heheh showing your age mate, nah its Hypersports. 

IIRC Daley Thompsons Decathlon was published by Ocean. Many a quickshot joystick died with Daley Ts game 

daley_thompsons_decathlon.thumb.png.5d60c314475d97be1c5ed14679697afc.png

Yeah, remember destroying few myself... later games implemented button punching vs wobbling the joystick left-right :) never the less i did some serious damage to my joystics... my dad was wondering how the hell can i break so many in such a short time....

Good deal.  Glad they are allowed to compete.  Russians are good competition when they are not cheating.

2 hours ago, DocM said:

Gestapo/SS prisoners usually wore thin fabric striped uniforms. This being a similar to their prisoner uniform is a big stretch. Looks like regular sportswear.

1429227740_16915393_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Russian team is here, let's stop pretending they're not

Let’s forgo the fig leaf of censure, the public shaming, and call them what they are: Team Russia. They should be allowed to hear their anthem if they win,

Rosie DiManno writes

Actually, the absence of national identifiers make them identifiable among the sportsmen and sportswomen in the international zone of the village.

• 2 weeks later...

Russian Curling Bronze Medalist Aleksandr Krushelnitckii Busted For Doping

The Court of Arbitration for Sport says Russian curler Aleksandr Krushelnitckii, who with his wife Anastasia Bryzgalova claimed bronze in mixed doubles last week in Pyeongchang, is formally charged with dopingafter his B-sample tested positive for meldonium.

Meldonium was banned in 2016. It recently knocked an entire Russian hockey team out of competition as well as tennis star Maria Sharapova, who earned a 15-month ban after testing positive for the drug.

The Norwegian team, which finished fourth and would be in line to claim the Russian bronze upon formal sanction from the IOC, has reportedly already left Korea and headed back to Norway.

The head of Russia’s curling federation suggested Krushelnitckii had food or drink spiked with the drug, possibly by Russia’s political enemies.

miiumf0xoxmvsf0pukm3.gifhttps://deadspin.com/russian-curling-bronze-medalist-aleksandr-krushelnitcki-1823125868

• Like 1

Why would someone dope in the least physically taxing Olympic sport is beyond any understanding, especially given the current circumstances.

A subversive activity is quite possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

Why would someone dope in the least physically taxing Olympic sport is beyond any understanding, especially given the current circumstances.

A subversive activity is quite possible.

i don't know, man,, you gotta do a hell lot of sweeping in that sport.. and yelling at your partner.. it's hard, if not taxing.. 

Winter Olympics: Russia's Nadezhda Sergeeva banned for doping

Russian bobsleigh pilot Nadezhda Sergeeva has been banned from the Winter Olympics for doping - just a day before Olympic chiefs meet to discuss lifting sanctions on her country.

The International Olympic Committee banned Russia over "systemic" doping at Sochi 2014, which the country hosted.

However, 168 athletes who proved they were clean were allowed to compete as neutrals at the Pyeongchang Games.

Sergeeva is the second of those 168 to have failed a doping test.

The IOC's executive board met on Saturday, when a discussion on whether to maintain or lift the suspension on Russia took place - a decision is now expected on Sunday.

Lifting the suspension would allow Russian athletes to parade with their national flag at Sunday's closing ceremony.

However some feel that is now unlikely to happen, with Russian athletes producing two of the four failed doping tests in Pyeongchang.

"They were due to look at how we behaved here and decide, but as we've got two doping cases I don't think they will allow us to be at the closing with the flag," alpine skier Anastasia Silanteva told Reuters.

"Especially in light of the second doping offence, our position is that the flag should not come into the closing ceremony with the Russian team," Canadian Olympic Committee president Tricia Smith said.

The neutral Olympic athletes from Russia (OAR) team won their first gold medal of the Games in South Korea on Friday.

That followed Russian curler Alexander Krushelnitsky being stripped of his bronze medal after being found guilty of doping.

The OAR team are the third biggest at the Games, behind Canada and the United States.

Sergeeva, 30, finished 12th in the two-woman bobsleigh event.

A Court of Arbitration for Sport panel met on Saturday to hear her case following her failed test.

"The athlete has accepted a provisional suspension beyond the period of the Games," it said, adding that Sergeeva had admitted an anti-doping rule violation after testing positive for trimetazidine.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/43180504

Doping ? What doping...

• Like 1