When new tech is announced/released, do you buy it right away?

Do you immediately buy the newest tech when it comes on the market?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you immediately buy the newest tech when it comes on the market?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I wait X amount of time (please specify)

So with the upcoming releases of the new consoles, iPhone's, and GPU's I got curious as to how many of us buy it right away.

I wait for a time until it gets cheap enough and I could snatch a deal (I haven't paid full price for anything in a long time) (unless it's something that I really really really want, and I buy it right away... But that hasn't been the case in the last 10 years).

12 minutes ago, Director Fury said:

I may wait 6months - 1yr. Depending on how often the lifecycle is. For consoles probably a year. For a vid card, at least 6 months maybe 9. A phone 3 - 6 months.

OK, how often do you replace things like cell phones and video cards?

Mobile phones:

When my contract ends I buy whatever is out. If new hotness is coming out within a month or so of my contract ending I'll wait a month. Otherwise, I'll just buy whatever's good right now.

Consoles:

Nintendo: I buy it right away. This is the only stupid thing I think I do with regards to this stuff.

Every other console: I buy it years later when there are a mass amount of games for dirt cheap. I'm thinking about buying a PS4 for example.

Computers:

I've upgraded my computer twice in the last decade. So.... I still have a GTX 970 and it's fine.

Technology:

I rarely have new technology. It's just never what you think it'll be. Never makes you as happy as you want it to.

I buy something usually a few months after launch but only if I have a need for it + if the reviews are generally good.

• 3 months later...

No, generally. new tech usually costs a arm and a leg and one can usually get something close enough to that standard at a much cheaper price by getting something a bit older etc.

but with that said... it might partially depend on what it is as if it's something fairly cheap or more reasonably priced one might consider it but if it's a arm-and-a-leg it's almost always best to opt for something cheaper since it's probably good enough and more reasonably priced etc.

On 20/09/2020 at 22:56, astropheed said:

Computers:

I've upgraded my computer twice in the last decade. So.... I still have a GTX 970 and it's fine.

Hell, I have been on the same basic motherboard since May 2012. although the CPU(i3-2120 to i5-3550)/RAM (8GB to 16GB)/GPU(in July 2017) has been upgraded since.

but I suspect, unless something major fails on my current setup out of no where, ill probably be on my current main PC til at least 2023, if not 2025+. because I figure the longer I can wait the more of a major boost ill have and for a minimal price. so it's a win/win.

On 20/09/2020 at 22:56, astropheed said:

Technology:

I rarely have new technology. It's just never what you think it'll be. Never makes you as happy as you want it to.

Yeah, I think I get the gist of what your saying here. I noticed as I have gotten a little older (I am in my early 40's) I am not as concerned with always upgrading etc. plus, it never hurts that CPU's etc seem to last much longer than they used to back in say the late 1990's into the 2000's a fair amount where after a few years or so ones computer was more dated than in fairly recent memory. but it seems like almost any 'good' CPU made over the last 10 years or so will still be respectable today. like just about any decent i3/i5 or better from their earlier days is still pretty good even today (and maybe even some CPU's a bit older than that type, especially if a person is not doing nothing too demanding on their computer).

but anyways... since I am not into video games all that much anymore that helps save me a decent amount of $ from hardware (especially since I can usually just upgrade my GPU not all that often and it will play games well enough at say 1080p(my 1050 Ti 4GB, which starting to show it's age, is still passable for 1080p gaming, with maybe some tweaks to squeeze a little more performance)). I still replay some here and there but there are not many recent/new games worth playing. but I would say by the time I got to around 30 years old (I am in my early 40's now) video games in general started to fizzle a bit for me vs when I was say around 25 and younger they used to be pretty great for me and I played them often. I still replay a small amount here and there though but not many have solid replay value and that's where they are ultimately made or broke long term.

but it seems a lot of people, I suspect especially younger people, always got to be getting this and that spending boatloads of $ on crap they could easily avoid (like say having the latest iPhone and the like. but I suspect this is generally a lot more common among the 20's and younger age groups if I had to guess). even with PC tech for example... it don't make much sense to me to upgrade a computer that's already pretty good. like you see these types who have a pretty good CPU/GPU and still want to upgrade their GPU to the newest one (or thereabouts) when it's not even that significant of a upgrade and they can still run their games well enough at a decent enough graphics settings with their current setup. they would be better off waiting until they start to struggle and then upgrade as at this point you can probably get something more reasonably priced and spend less $ on it to. it's just a much more efficient use of ones $ this way and what's worse sometimes you will see people just blow their $ on random junk and they don't even have all that much $ to begin with.

or you see those people who are upgrading their TV's fairly often as I think for a while now (probably something around 5 years or so (maybe a bit more) off the top of my head) one can get a pretty good TV for a pretty cheap price and a pretty good sized one and since we got all three of those (price/size/solid enough image quality) going for us, it don't make too much sense to obsess over having something that's only marginally better and spend hundreds of dollars on it to upgrade (once things reached HD (720p/1080p) I am in no rush to go any higher and not only that we are not getting any younger either ;) ). for example... I had my current 43" 1080p TV since May 2016, and while it would be nice to have something in the 55-60"+ range or so, I am in no rush to upgrade as it will still be easily good enough for years to come (I tend to see any TV in the 40 something inch range to be respectable and 50+ inch is plenty/clearly on the larger side with 60-70 inch or so being basically top notch and much beyond that would be overkill for most people in most situations). because prior to getting that more modern-ish TV in May 2016 I was still on a old style 25-27" so when I got that 43" it was a rather HUGE upgrade and was only like $222. but now if I did upgrade I would say the biggest upgrade would come more from the size of the TV than from image quality and I suspect, to guesstimate things, advances in TV tech are slowing (because going from those old heavy kind of TV's to these typical 1080p or so range was a rather huge all around boost). because in the old days (call it roughly 2005-ish and before) when TV's cost more just to get a decent size, say a 20 or 30 something inch or so, was not all that cheap (and were still relatively small). but nowadays one can EASILY get into the 40 something inch, maybe higher, for a pretty reasonable/cheap-ish price (so unless someone has no choice to get a 20 or 30 something inch TV for a certain situation, it don't make any sense to buy a TV smaller than the 40 something inch range at this point in time) and once a person reaches a certain TV size it starts to become overkill to go any higher. because for years people wanted bigger and bigger TV's (which I clearly understood) but now a person can get a rather large TV size, call it 50-70", for not all that much and I figure much beyond that size it starts to become overkill luxury as anyone sitting a reasonable distance from their TV would likely find a 60-70" TV to be more than good enough and I figure one probably can't go much beyond a 70" or so before it's going to start being too big for the average home etc.

but it's messed up as you can see some people almost have a obsession with getting MORE AND MORE random crap they don't really need. so while we all like to have some nice stuff here and there, unless one has money to burn, after a certain point one is better off sticking with what they got for a while and making more efficient use of ones $ etc. but all-in-all... in terms of TV's we got it pretty made nowadays vs not all that long ago (call it roughly 15-ish years or a bit more).

just some random thoughts ;)