A-Volute - softwarecomponent - 3.1.0.0 pops up. What does it do? Should I install it?

Today I got for my Asus ROG notebook, under 'Optional Updates', a "A-Volute - softwarecomponent - 3.1.0.0" update.

I found it is has something to do with my Nehamic sound drivers. What exactly does this A-Volute do?

Also given the fact that the Microsoft Update Catalog also lists the 'A-Volute - SoftwareComponent - 4.0.2.0' version. Why isn't this one offered?

Should I install it? (v 3.1.0.0 or 4.0.2.0)

Or just let things be and ignore this one?

(I don't have any sound issues that I am aware of :cool:)

30 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Thx.

The latest post stated:

An application and the speakers of any PC transform into high-fidelity equipment. With its Nahimic software, the a-Volute company has already convinced big brands like Asus and MSI.

OK, so far so good. Can be installed, right?. Although there might be some issues.

Question remains... if there is a version 4, why is Windows Update/Optional Updates not mentioning  this? (but 'remain' on v3)

10 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Question remains... if there is a version 4, why is Windows Update/Optional Updates not mentioning  this? (but 'remain' on v3)

maybe the other version is for a different but similar model of chip?

that or the versions weren't submitted properly to Microsoft. this is the main issue that keeps popping up for why wrong versions install and why newer drivers tend to get overwritten.

it's the main reason I don't utilize WU for driver updates; I turned that off on my stuff and utilize iOBit Driver Booster (free edition) to scan occasionally and update drivers. It's one of the few 3rd party driver update utilities I've found to actually work properly and without issue consistently.

39 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

maybe the other version is for a different but similar model of chip?

that or the versions weren't submitted properly to Microsoft. this is the main issue that keeps popping up for why wrong versions install and why newer drivers tend to get overwritten.

it's the main reason I don't utilize WU for driver updates; I turned that off on my stuff and utilize iOBit Driver Booster (free edition) to scan occasionally and update drivers. It's one of the few 3rd party driver update utilities I've found to actually work properly and without issue consistently.

That's also why I noticed (see also a different of thread here of mine)....

Thing is... WU is kinda scr**ed up when it comes to these Windows Updates in the Optional Area....

So what to do.... install this, or can I better just leave it "as is"? What's improved? Is it recommended?

As stated... I have no issues on my sound.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

if you don't need the extra functionality of the app then I'd just skip it (Y) 

Well... the thing is: I don't really know if I need this extra functionality, because I don't know what it does besides some "enhancement" to Sonic Studio and/or Nahimic software and/or general system. Or what it doesn't when/if I uninstall this. Or what I miss in sound quality or sound options.

Plus... I would like to know why all of a sudden this v3 update is popping up today? Whilst also seeing there is a v4. And what's the difference... and if I can install this update (or v4) without any problems.

Questions, questions, questions. Unanswered yet unfortunately....

Anyone here can shed some light on this?!

8 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Well... the thing is: I don't really know if I need this extra functionality, because I don't know what it does besides some "enhancement" to Sonic Studio and/or Nahimic software and/or general system. Or what it doesn't when/if I uninstall this. Or what I miss in sound quality or sound options.

Plus... I would like to know why all of a sudden this v3 update is popping up today? Whilst also seeing there is a v4. And what's the difference... and if I can install this update (or v4) without any problems.

usually with those optional audio apps it's just extra equalizer functionality or fake surround sound modes and filters like that.

I'd personally consider it bloat unless your an audiophile

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

just use wushowhide.diagcab, Wumgr or WUMT (windows update minitool) to hide the A-Volute Softwarecomponent 3.1.0.0 driver if you are not using the Sonic Studio or Sonic Radar apps from ASUS cuz those apps may have come with your ASUS ROG laptop (or have been automatically downloaded & installed from MS store after installing the proprietary ASUS based Realtek audio driver package specific for your ASUS ROG laptop).

and note that version 4.xx of the A-Volute SoftwareComponent drivers (ex. 4.0.2.0 from MS Catalog dated 11/1/2020) are for newer devices (with specific hardware device IDs, esp. with 11th gen Intel core hardware or systems made in late 2020 or early 2021) and may not be applicable for your Asus machine.  also version 4.xx of the A-Volute SoftwareComponent drivers do not supersede nor replace the 3.xx versions.  you need to check the Package Details tab section of the A-Volute SoftwareComponent 4.0.2.0 driver and check which Supported Hardware IDs are listed and then gather details about on your Asus laptop by checking in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) what specific hardware ID used for the existing A-Volute Audio Effects Component driver (listed in the Software Components section of Device Manager), then compare and check if that specific hardware ID is listed in the newer driver.

use this site on how to check the Hardware ID for a particular device in Device Manager, kiddingguy.

also you might also want to consider updating your Realtek audio driver as well to support the newer A-Volute 3.1.0.0 driver

Edited by erpster3

Hello,

Not every driver developer chooses to publish their driver updates in the Windows Update Catalog, or chooses to publish every one there.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky
fixed a typo

I kinda 'accidentally' installed this driver (or Windows had done it automatically).

Anyways... after rebooting the 'Windows key + search function' didn't work anywork. I could type in e.g. "Chrome". the 'c' went okay, but the 'h' didn't work/got typed. In notepad it did. So, it wasn't my keyboard.

After uninstalling Realtek software etc etc, and reinstalling it again - the only way to get rid of this A-Volute thingy - everything is back to normal.

Kinda annoying.

Have used the wushowhide.diagcab tool to not show this 3.1.0.0 update anymore. I have learned my lesson here....

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2021 at 09:21, kiddingguy said:

Have used the wushowhide.diagcab tool to not show this 3.1.0.0 update anymore. I have learned my lesson here....

indeed you have learned your lesson...the hard way I guess

the wushowhide.diagcab tool is longer available from the MS support site - they seemed to have pulled it in Feb. 2021 but is still available from Majorgeeks.

MS also has v3.2.2.0 of the A-Volute Software Component driver available in the MS Catalog site, which may supersede/replace the older v3.1.0.0 A-Volute driver

• 3 months later...
On 22/01/2021 at 15:31, goretsky said:

Hello,

Not every driver developer choose to publish their driver updates in the Windows Update Catalog, or chooses to publish every one there.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, I have noticed it as well. But what's the reason behind. They should update driver in windows update catalog as well. 

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2021 at 05:49, Georgesmith12 said:

Yes, I have noticed it as well. But what's the reason behind. They should update driver in windows update catalog as well. 

MS does sometimes but they do not always release them on MS Catalog at the same time they do thru Windows Update

new A-Volute Software Component driver v3.3.3.0 available from MS Update Catalog - released around mid-August 2021 to the Catalog but released thru Windows Update sometime in July 2021.

I'm not touching any A-Volute Software. I've learned my lesson...

Plus I don't think I need it, so I'll just keep it installed; it's working now aka not giving me any issues.

Hello,

You could also check ASUS support site for the notebook computer to see if the driver update has been published there.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 4 months later...