21H1 benefits & performance gains?

Is the upcoming 21H1 having (major) performance gains on the 20H2 installation set? Or will this just be an update+ (enablement package) with no real-world improvements on the Windows performance itself?

Just a regular ol' update with some modifications under the hood?

And... any thoughts on when it will be officially released? (May 18 or May 25, or another date)

There's not much to this update https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-version-21h1-is-coming---heres-what-to-expect/

And as far as availability goes, that is a question no-one can answer if you consider certain blocks for installing the May 2020 and 20H2 Updates were only removed at the end of last week https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-removes-all-update-blocks-for-windows-10-versions-2004-and-20h2/

21H1 is now available in the Release Preview Ring and if there are no major bugs that crop up between now and the end of May it could be released before the end of the month. The May 2020 Update went live for everyone (and before blocks were placed) on May 27 2020 which was a Wednesday https://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-10-may-2020-update-is-now-available-for-everyone/

If you want it now, I wrote a guide on how to get it without having to use the ISO method to upgrade https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-get-the-windows-10-may-2021-update-right-now/

I've been using it since last weekend and haven't noticed any changes at all, I don't even have the new weather widget yet 🤓 but I do have it in my Insider Dev build haha

• Like 2

On 10/05/2021 at 03:28, kiddingguy said:

Is the upcoming 21H1 having (major) performance gains on the 20H2 installation set? Or will this just be an update+ (enablement package) with no real-world improvements on the Windows performance itself?

Just a regular ol' update with some modifications under the hood?

And... any thoughts on when it will be officially released? (May 18 or May 25, or another date)

what kind of performance gains are you looking for? Is your system slow?

21h1 is basically the calm before the storm that 21h2 (sun valley) will be. Its a small update compared to past ones. 

15 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I just came across this article When is Windows 10 version 21H1 going to be released? with the link to KB5000736.

Is is safe (now?) to download en install this KB5000736-thingy? And maybe go from there to the 21H1? Or it is 'better' to wait probably just a few more days/weeks for the official release?

Well, the changes with 21H1 are actually part of the cumulative updates that are the same for 2004 and 20H2 that you receive every month already.  All three of these versions of Windows 10 use the same update.  KB5000736 is just the enablement package that will turn on those 21H1 features which is why it is so small.  20H2 worked the exact same way.  And this particular enablement package hasn't changed since Feb.  You install it and one quick reboot later you are on 21H1.

45 minutes ago, Nogib said:

Well, the changes with 21H1 are actually part of the cumulative updates that are the same for 2004 and 20H2 that you receive every month already.  All three of these versions of Windows 10 use the same update.  KB5000736 is just the enablement package that will turn on those 21H1 features which is why it is so small.  20H2 worked the exact same way.  And this particular enablement package hasn't changed since Feb.  You install it and one quick reboot later you are on 21H1.

So it can just be installed... turn some 0's into 1's, and bam... there's 21H1?!

But... it is safe to install, or better to wait a couple of more days?

15 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

So it can just be installed... turn some 0's into 1's, and bam... there's 21H1?!

But... it is safe to install, or better to wait a couple of more days?

Unless your PC is responsible for keeping the gates of hell closed so the demons can't take over the earth and enslave humanity for eternity, you should be fine to update 🤓

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Unless your PC is responsible for keeping the gates of hell closed so the demons can't take over the earth and enslave humanity for eternity, you should be fine to update 🤓

Well... actually it does :devil::ninja::alien::omg::ike::shiftyninja:

I think that using the whole enablement package system is the right move.  Specially for minor things they could add.   Of course people expect 21H2 to come in a change all that with huge new features.   I don't know at this point, it might all just be UI/UX changes and not so much big new stuff.  Guess we'll see in time.

At this point though, if you're system is on 20H2 and running fine I wouldn't worry about installing 21H1 since it's really the same core OS.

• 5 weeks later...