Three caught recording 'Tomorrow'

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Three moviegoers were caught recording the recently released disaster flick "The Day After Tomorrow" with handheld video cameras in U.S. and Canadian theaters, the Motion Picture Association of America said Thursday.

Two of the purported camcorder pirates were arrested in theaters in Los Angeles and Canada over the weekend trying to record the 20th Century Fox movie on digital video recorders for resale, and a third fled a Los Angeles theater when he was approached by theater personnel, the MPAA said.

The practice known as "camcording" -- a misdemeanor crime in California -- allows video pirates to steal relatively high quality copies of films within hours or days of their release.

The copies then show up as pirated optical discs sold at street markets around the world long before the films are released on DVD.

More than 52 million illegal discs were seized around the world in 2003, according to the MPAA, the leading U.S. film studio trade group.

MPAA director John Malcolm said the industry has vowed to vigorously prosecute video pirates, and has encouraged theater owners to use metal detectors and night-vision goggles to secure screenings.

@ cnn

lol. Serves them right.

But aren't they checking people for cameras now in cinemas in the US? Maybe that would cut the piracy rate.

Drone.

heh, If they were recording in the middle of a busy theater they quality would be shocking. I doubt they were big "pirates" just small street corner sellers.

lol. Serves them right.

But aren't they checking people for cameras now in cinemas in the US? Maybe that would cut the piracy rate down.

Drone.

kinda. depends on the theater that you go to. some places even have nightvision so they can see if there are any cam screens in the audience

lol. Serves them right.

But aren't they checking people for cameras now in cinemas in the US? Maybe that would cut the piracy rate.

Drone.

Would not work, you will find most pirate copys on the internet are by staff themselfs in secret.

Would not work, you will find most pirate copys on the internet are by staff themselfs in secret.

So True, I have a friend who works at Hoyts and has snuck a camera in a couple of times.

Pirated Movies 4-Ever

oh ya, lol.

Someone else mentioned the nightvision thing here already, I read about that one too.

I got a good line:

WHERE WILL YOU BE THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW? IN JAIL!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :yes:

Actually, what they did was a misdemeanor, so they probably slapped them with a few hours of community service.

That aren't going to stop piracy, its all inside jobs. They are never going to stop movie piracy, and especially mp3 for that matter...

Stupid people.. the pirate movies I have seen have all had japanese sub titles I think most pirate movies out are not really coming from USA. these people should of just bought someone else's pirated copy and then make copies of there copy.. idiots.

Lol... We actually have guys who go around through the theatres with big red glowing sticks. They've let me walk into the theater with an entire backpack before without question, though, so I assume if I really wanted to do it I could - Darth Vader usually comes around during the previews/opening credits anyways. Not that I'd want to do it with the quality of my camera. :p