Another reason to upgrade to SP2

"According to Netcraft a new security flaw has been found in Microsoft Internet Explorer which makes it possible to spoof a URL with just some simple HTML code, by enclosing two URLs and a table within a single href tag. The user will be sent to one site, but the status bar will show a fake URL. The bug apparently affects IE and Outlook Express up to but not including SP2. Firefox, Opera, and Konqueror seem unaffected."

Source: Slashdot

:p

N00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000bzzzzzzzzzz

584833483[/snapback]

right IE sp2 is quite secure,any vulnerabilities affect old versions not sp2 :p

a co-worker pointed this out to me a few weeks ago. An email he received that "linked to" wells fargo, took him to one of those spoof address bars where it looked like he was at wells fargos login to your online banking account. Whenever you moved the browser window around you could plainly see that it was an object on-top of the address bar that had the spoofed URL. And then I rebuked him for not having his windows up-to-date and still using IE.

for me everyone need install sp2, no doubt, is right some apps don't works then user need update or change this apps for another similar; still with firefox as well leaving ie only for wu and some websites :)

The last time I downloaded Service Pack 2 it messed up my computer. When it was downloading it stopped halfway through and I had to restart my computer. When I restarted it every time it restarted itself again when it was just about to load the welcome screen. I'm running an older version of Windows XP Pro. but this shouldn't happen. I had to get my computer reformatted. :angry:

this is a bloody old bug. it was reported ages ago. so as some would say:

oooold newzzzz

584834530[/snapback]

On the same token, not everyone comes here everyday or reads the news everyday, therefore, this is news to them.

Any XP user on Neowin who has NOT upgraded to XP2 yet deserves to be drug out to the street and shot.

Multiple times.

--DK

584834585[/snapback]

Hahaha! :rofl: But I agree! :yes:

Now this is were FireFox comes in you SP1 hores :D

584834887[/snapback]

It's been shown where you could mimick the chrome interface of Fx too. I forgot a link, but it looked like a normal browser window except for the fact it wasn't.

The last time I downloaded Service Pack 2 it messed up my computer. When it was downloading it stopped halfway through and I had to restart my computer. When I restarted it every time it restarted itself again when it was just about to load the welcome screen. I'm running an older version of Windows XP Pro. but this shouldn't happen. I had to get my computer reformatted.  :angry:

584834213[/snapback]

welcome to Neowin dude

is simple, go to windows update

(Y)

Any XP user on Neowin who has NOT upgraded to XP2 yet deserves to be drug out to the street and shot.

Multiple times.

--DK

584834585[/snapback]

I agree :yes:

what about non XP users

win98, win2k users and the rest are they safe? if not MS should release a fix for this since not everyone uses XP

584835002[/snapback]

any windows system below the xp line is not safe

they should also release a patch for that

o wait they have: xp :whistle:

Multiple times.

--DK

584834585[/snapback]

Unless for some stupid reason it doesn't seem to allow Windows to boot up, at all!

*Stupid Microsoft*

I don?t mean to bash MS but what the hell is wrong with them??? Let?s face it, IE is the weakest link in MS's fleet of software. They need to wake up and smell the coffee. Its time they stop integrating IE with their OS and come out with a new and improved version. When you think about it IE always has the most patches on patch Tuesday. I haven?t seen a Tuesday were it doesn?t.

Get it right MS!!!!

IE should be named patches because that?s all it seems to needing.

any windows system below the xp line is not safe

they should also release a patch for that

o wait they have: xp  :whistle:

584835180[/snapback]

Heh... not everyone wants a $200 patch. :no:

Heh... not everyone wants a $200 patch. :no:

584835679[/snapback]

It's not that expensive anymore. You can get a fresh legal OEM copy of XP for $91 on Newegg.