Microsoft launching a Vista TFT monitor

Microsoft is launching a computer monitor that it claims will best show the new functions and features in its Vista operating system.

The software giant is working with Samsung to build a high-resolution, 22in widescreen Vista Monitor, which is due for release around the same time as the operating system.

Vista has been designed to look best when using a widescreen display, and Microsoft wants to ensure that as far as possible users take advantage of this. By producing a Microsoft-badged monitor, it can promote widescreen Vista use to those who upgrade from Windows XP or buy a new PC running the operating system.

Samsung confirmed it is working with Microsoft to build the monitors. Ami Randhawa, monitor product manager at Samsung, said: ?The demand is being driven by Vista. It will be branded Microsoft, but built by Samsung.?

Microsoft was contacted, but sa?Microsoft does not comment on rumour and speculation.?.?

Source - http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-wor...nging-vista-tft

Radish?

hmm i would like to see the difference from the rest of the other monitors out there when it comes to Vista, another way to make more money. Go M$ ;)

Interesting, very interesting indeed...

PSG22?

The monitor itself will unlikely be that interesting but whats interesting more so is the fact this is being done at all. It's a move into the hardware field MS has yet to take. Sure they arent actually making it but the interest is there and who knows whether this could potentially lead to further developments. I mean I've always loved MS hardware, the periphals and all, just they often have their product lifespan cut short (the joysticks, steering wheels, game pads ect ect) for various reasons besides the keyboards and mice which have gone strong for a few years.

I'd love to see where this goes if it does go anywhere. They also have the webcams comming out so it's not alot but it could be something.

Bah I hate wide monitors, smaller than the normal ones and they look a lot worse. I'm happy with my 20" (the highest non-wide that's available).

what you just said makes absolutely no sense. I bet you would drool seing my 20" cinema display. Also, if you are working with film footage, a 4:3 screen is just a total annoyance.

Is this the "DRM" monitor that will be required to view copywritten media (movies) on at full resolution?

I can see Microsoft coming out with this beast at $200 over the price Samsung will charge for the exact same thing without the Microsoft badge on it.

I'll skip it for sure.

Is this the "DRM" monitor that will be required to view copywritten media (movies) on at full resolution?

Wouldn't doubt it. The sad thing is that the majority of Windows users will eat it up without a second thought. I hope that is not the case though.

hmm, i doubt it putting a HDMI port on it would certainly increase the price quite a bit. nut mabye there will be a modle with it but if there is there would have to be a samsung monitor with HDMI which there isnt atm.

SAMSUNG is manufacturing it so you know this monitor will be of good, high quality. This will probably be the DRM monitor, but we will have to wait to see.

what you just said makes absolutely no sense. I bet you would drool seing my 20" cinema display. Also, if you are working with film footage, a 4:3 screen is just a total annoyance.

Haha, actually what you said makes no sense.

A 20" 4:3 monitor would provide almost as much space across as your 20" cinema (only 80px less) and an additional 200 pixels in height.

I enjoy my widescreen, but I wanted to point out that 4:3 aspect displays aren't as terrible as everyone makes them out to be.

Also, what's the big deal about this being a "DRM Monitor?" If it supports HDCP then that's a good thing because it'll work with future tech... Plus movie studios aren't going to enforce DRM for now, so really it's nothing to worry about.

Yes.... DRM.... Goood "nothing to worry about"....

Edited by markjensen

Bah I hate wide monitors, smaller than the normal ones and they look a lot worse. I'm happy with my 20" (the highest non-wide that's available).

I bet you haven't seen the Dell 2405FPW then. I have one, and it is godly. Bigger than a 20" 4:3 in every respect.

Yes.... DRM.... Goood....

Yeah... that's not what I said. :rolleyes:

From a consumer standpoint, I'd much rather buy a monitor that it guaranteed to work for years to come, regardless of what kind of crap gets forced on me by the MPAA, MS, etc. It's not like this monitor will be crippled in any way by supporting DRM, so I don't see what the problem is.

Yeah... that's not what I said. :rolleyes:
No problem! I edited it, just for you. ;)

By the way, DRM is no guarantee that things will continue to always work for you. Quite the opposite, in fact. DRM works for the content controllers to restrict your freedom and abilities.

I am looking to buy a new monitor to replace my Samsung SyncMaster 172x 17'' TFT/LCD monitor around that time. Sweet!

No problem! I edited it, just for you. ;)

BWAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!11l12kl34j23949200923904j102j340239j4230j

;)

By the way, DRM is no guarantee that things will continue to always work for you. Quite the opposite, in fact. DRM works for the content controllers to restrict your freedom and abilities.

If they restrict hi-def playback to monitors supporting HDCP then you're screwed if you don't have the technology. If they don't end up doing that (which would be great) then you're not really out anything if you got the monitor that supports it. I guess my point is that you might be screwed if you don't have the DRM support, but if you do have it then the chance of getting screwed is much lower. When I buy an expensive monitor, I want to get something that I'll be able to use for years without replacing.

I hate DRM just as much as the next guy. Ideally, one would fight back against DRM by not buying products that support it, but the generic consumer isn't educated enough to tell a difference so adoption of these technologies will most likely be fairly widespread.

Edited by mx3