Microsoft unviels ZUNE - Official

This is s going to be like any other mp3 player out there. It will be difficult to take iPod down

It looks like something from the 80s :p

EDIT: I love the Product Boxshots

the brown one looks horrible IMHO, but I think the white and black ones are good. Still don't think MS can even get near the iPod though, but well done for them for trying lol.

"Wireless Zune-to-Zune sharing lets consumers spontaneously share full-length sample tracks of select songs, homemade recordings, playlists or pictures with friends between Zune devices. Listen to the full track of any song you receive up to three times over three days. If you like a song you hear and want to buy it, you can flag it right on your device and easily purchase it from the Zune Marketplace."

Surely that is only for music files with DRM. If you have a normal MP3 will you be able to send it to another Zune and will they be allowed to play it however often they wanted?

man BROWN WTF

it looks alright, but i dont think its style is 'sleek' enough. i think it looks a lil too bulky. i dont like how you gotta turn the thing sidways to watch movies.

and about the whole msoft copying others... man theres a lot of ipod look-a-likes, and just cuz its microsoft, it seems everyones gotta make a big deal about them copying others, big deal. to me it looks like apple got their iTV idea from media center :p

zune-colors.jpg

SOURCE:http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/microsoft-launches-the-zune/

As expected, Microsoft is busting out the Zune today, and we've got the rundown. Not a lot of surprises in the specs department, but they've confirmed the basics we've known for a while, like WiFi, 30GB of HDD, built-in FM, a 3-inch screen and the basic music, pictures and video playback. They also finally let slip the screen res -- an unsurprising QVGA -- and some better news on the codec front: the Zune supports h.264, MP3, AAC and WMA. As for ballyhoo, wireless Zune-to-Zune sharing is where the real action is at, and it works pretty much like we've been hearing: you can share a full-length track with a friend, and they've got three times to listen to it over a three day period, after which they can flag the song for purchase on the Zune Marketplace -- unless they're an unlimited "Zune Pass" subscriber, of course. You can also share playlists and pictures with your buddies, along with what we suppose are "unprotected" homemade recordings. So far Microsoft isn't mentioning Live Anywhere functionality, but they do hint heavily at future software updates to take even better advantage of the wireless capabilities. Of course, it all really comes down to matching your Zune with that snazzy new fall wardrobe of yours, and to that end the Zune comes in black, brown and white. Sadly, Microsoft still won't spill the beans on pricing and availability (other than a vague "this holiday season"), so we'll keep an eye out for that just like always. Keep reading for all relevant pr0n.

ms-zune-2.jpg

ms-zune-3.jpg

ms-zune-5.jpg

I like it alot, the Ui is v.nice in imo, so its just a matter of time before someone gets a hold of one of these puppies, im personally tempted.

Visually, it's butt ugly. From the short video, the features kinda look pretty cool. It won't take over the iPod, but if it's functional, I might give it a thumbs up.

it seems to me the software and the zune song download site is aiming totally at a community based approach. just like youtube, and myspace which exploded, all due to the community, i'm guessing the zune has a good shot at making it. by connecting EVERY zune owner together to share media for their zunes, to talk about whats up, what they're listening too, view eachothers playlists etc... this thing has a sure shot at doing what no other mp3 player has done before.

This actually looks very appealing. I love how you can change the image orientation for videos and such. I'm more and more sure that this will be my next mp3 player.

Barring an insane pricing scheme, I'm sold. My 2G iPod is dying on me, but I haven't been this excited about picking up a new player in forever. The stuff that J Allard's headed of late, with the Xbox stuff and now this...its really a nice breath of fresh air from Microsoft, entering arguably otherwise unchartered waters (for Microsoft as a company; not industries themselves of course.)

Wi-Fi, 30 GB HDD, built-in FM radio, a 3-inch screen, brilliant! Was going to get an iPod nano (gorgeous little things) but I think I'll get a Zune now, even though it's more money.

When will it be available in the UK and what is the pricing like?

Watch those videos!

The UI seems damn nice - the whole presentation just seems really refreshing from the iPod's. This looks like a really decent contender.

All I want to know now is:

a) Battery life?

b) Where's the bigger size!

I'm really sick of people complaining about one Zune being brown btw. You're not in any way shape or form forced to buy brown zune - it's down to personal choice. Even though I don't like it, I can see the brown zune being popular with that whole urban/skater fashion thing - people who just want something that fits in with their casual style.