RC2 (Build 5744) - Disabling Services

Group Policy Client - Default: Automatic (Started)

- Safe: Leave as is (can theoreticfally be disabled, will look into it later)

You can disable it with pserv

Human Interface Device Access - Default: Manual

- Since this service is on manual and does not start, it may be needed at some point, but it isn't a critical service

If you have a fancy keyboard with lots of buttons, this will allow you to use these button swithout the custom software from Logitech/MS.

Indexing Service - Default: Automatic (Started)

- Disabling this service will slow down searches, this is not a critical service

Doesn't even exist in my services list

IP Helper - Default: Automatic (Started)

- If you don't want IPv4 support, Safe: Set to Disabled

IPv6 you mean.

IPsec Policy Agent - Default: Automatic (Started)

- Safe: Leave as is

I don't think it's necessary for most people.

Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support - Default: Manual

- Safe: Set to Disabled

I think it's needed if you've enrolled in the Customer Experience improvement program.

Program Compatibility Assistant Service - Default: Automatic (Started)

- If you don't use the Program Compatibility Assisant, Safe: Set to Disabled

It hasn't helped yet, IIRC, but I leave it on.

Protected Storage - Default: Manual

- If you don't need it, Safe: Set to Disabled

That's where your passwords are stored for websites. I leave it on.

ReadyBoost - Default: Automatic (Started)

Turn it off if you don't want/need to use USB flash drives as memory.

SNMP Trap - Default: Manual

- Safe: Leave as is (will look into)

If you're not on a network managed with SNMP you leave it or disable.

User Profile Service - Default: Automatic (Started)

- Since this service is on manual and does not start, it may be needed at some point, but it isn't a critical service

Odd. Mine was on Automatic and it sounds pretty important : :huh:

This service is responsible for loading and unloading user profiles. If this service is stopped or disabled, users will no longer be able to successfully logon or logoff, applications may have problems getting to users' data, and components registered to receive profile event notifications will not receive them.
Windows Time - Default: Automatic (Started)

- If not part of a server, Set to Disabled

It updates the system clock. No need to be part of a server. I turn it off anyway and use Neutron every few weeks.

Workstation - Default: Automatic (Started)

Unnecessary if you're not on a LAN.

Why don't quotes work??? :angry:

holy hell i didnt think that list would be that long. thanks slimy. next time i boot up, ill go into vista instead and disable/enable some of these things. Mainly the keyboard/mouse support without 3rd part drivers :)

holy hell i didnt think that list would be that long. thanks slimy. next time i boot up, ill go into vista instead and disable/enable some of these things. Mainly the keyboard/mouse support without 3rd part drivers :)

No problem :D

could you remove those which just say "leave alone" please? it's quite redundant to leave them in the list.

Nope, they're there because this is a work in progress. As I find out more or people suggest more (like Grope for Luna did) I'll be changing them. It took a while to type them all out, I don't want to go around deleting them now.

If you need to quickly enable/disable services on a new install, save your current service list as a xml template with pserv and copy it to your new system.

Of course! I forgot about that great app. I should have saved the default config before changing everything :pinch:

Great list. I reduced the amount of processes running from 36 to 27.

Good stuff :)

Why am I not finding all of these Sevices ?

Oh I forgot I'm running Home Basic and I don't have them to start with.

How does Home Basic run? Have you noticed it's faster with games?

I'm also curious how Home Basic runs since I've used nothing but Ultimate since Beta 2. As slimy asked, is it any faster with games? How responsive is your Home Basic since you don't have nearly as many services running?

My running processes are still in the 30's but I disabled services that were not running and that I won't ever use. I did however disable Print Spooler and everything smart card related.

@slimy: Could you add "Fax" to the list of services that can be safely disabled? I disabled it with no negative effects.

Edited by scratch42069

@slimy: Could you add "Fax" to the list of services that can be safely disabled? I disabled it with no negative effects.

Good point, I turned the feature off and forgot about it. Is the service just called Windows Fax and Scan and what's the default set on?

A side note, you need Windows Time if you're going to sync your clock with external servers.

Add I shall, thanks!

Good point, I turned the feature off and forgot about it. Is the service just called Windows Fax and Scan and what's the default set on?

No, the service is simply called Fax and the default is set to manual.

good one:)

One thing tho, after disabling some services, when I then rebooted, the transparent aero look is gone. How do I enable it again??

edit- nevermind, i found it out. it was the desktop window manager session manager service:)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some details from my testing and experience. Notice: if I mark as "Not required" it's because I've disabled the service for at least a week with no noticeable side effects. My system is a Tablet PC that connects to the internet via complex secured WIFI, shares files via multiple networks and accesses files shared by other systems, etc.

The only issue I have is an empty Favorite Links list in explorer even though there are shortcuts in the folder, I don't think this is related to the services though.

Base Filtering Engine

-> Needed for firewall, some unusual protocols, remote access, and internet connection sharing. Disabling lets the system work fine if you can do without these.

CNG Key Isolation

-> Required for EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) which is required for Wired/Wireless Lan Autoconfig, if you connect to the internet you'll probably need this

Cryptographic Services

-> Needed for some connections/websites that with certificate files, not required

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

-> Only needed for the advanced Aero Glass transparency interface, otherwise disable

Extensible Authentication Protocol

-> See Base Filtering Engine

Function Discovery Provider Host

-> Only needed for certain and uncommon network components

Function Discovery Resource Publication

-> See FDPH

IP Helper

-> Unless you know the difference between IPv4 and IPv6, you can probably disable this.

IPsec Policy Agent

-> Not required

KtmRM for Distributed Transaction Coordinator

-> Not required

Machine Debug Manager

-> Not required

Multimedia Class Scheduler

-> Required for Windows Audio

PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator

-> Not required

Print Spooler

-> Also required for virtual printers (like PDF printers)

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

-> Only needed if you want to use your computer remotely

Remote Access Connection Manger

-> See RAACM

SL UI Notification Service - Default: Manual

-> Reduces some functionality in windows components such as the Tablet Input Panel but not required

Software Licensing

-> See SL UI NS

Telephony

-> Sometimes used for dial-up internet, not required

Terminal Services

-> Needed to administer remote computers, not required

Terminal Services Configuration

-> See TS

Terminal Services UserMode Port Redirector

-> See TS

Themes

-> Not needed if you use Windows Classic

TPM Base Services

-> Used for hardware certificates, not required

UPnP Device Host

-> Unless you specifically use UPnP devices (which is unlikely), disable

Virtual Disk

-> Not required

Volume Shadow Copy

-> Needed for some integrated backups, not required

WebClient

-> Does not effect network sharing or web browsing, not required

Windows Driver Foundation

-> Does not affect driver installation/compatibility in my experience, not required

Windows Modules Installer

-> Needed for some Windows Updates, not required

Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)

-> Only needed to administer the system remotely, not required

WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

-> Not required for normal internet connection

I think that's it!

-Martin