RC2 (Build 5744) - Disabling Services

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slight problem. After disabling a few things, whenever i try to start control panel the window comes up but nothing happens. Anyone know which serivce might have affected this?

I have a slight problem. After disabling a few things, whenever i try to start control panel the window comes up but nothing happens. Anyone know which serivce might have affected this?

Yes, just the same thing happened to me. After trying out some services, I found the one responsible for it:

Software Licensing

If you stop that one and set it to Manual, then the Control Panel won't work anymore, including all stuff associated with it (e.g. Display Properties - changing resolutions, wallpaper, themes etc.).

Once I started it and set it back to Automatic, the Control Panel worked normally again.

The first post should be edited to reflect that stopping the "Software Licensing" service breaks the Control Panel.

Hey guys, after a bit of fiddling, I ended up creating a batch file that disables the "Software Licensing" service on startup but keeps other things running such as Control Panel and Flip3D which usually require the service to be active. I have yet to see anything that fails to run with this small tweak other than Windows Activation (and I can only assume Windows Update will need it fully active as well; I haven't tested yet as I don't use Windows Update until I decide to run it).

So, to those who are interested.

It's very simple. It starts the service, waits 10 seconds (the service needs to perform a task before you close it), and then stops the service. The service is set to manual.

@echo off
sc start slsvc
CHOICE /C YN /N /T 10 /D Y
sc stop slsvc

You can stick it in your startup folder if you want. You can name the file whatever you want as long as it has the extension .bat or .cmd

Now, the downside to this is that you'll see a command window on startup. There's an easy way around that if anyone is interested.

I look forward to reading more on all of this.

Nah, it's just one service. But it's one step closer to minimizing the amount of services running, so I thought I'd just try to add a tiny contribution to the cause.

Hi guys:)

Can someone help me a little..what service is responsible for the backup and restore program? i get an error when trying to start a backup, and it worked before disabling the services provided in this guide..please help me.. :)

Here's a pic of the error i get.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/858/bugbh7.jpg

Edited by andy_rose

I've made a screenshot of all the services and how I've set them - fully tested, works fine for me! :cool:

The list is sorted by startup type - the first group is "Automatic", the second is "Disabled" and the third is "Manual".

vista-dienste.png

How about a thread title change to just "Vista - Disabling Services Guide"

I think that would be a good idea, because this should work for RTM as well. I'll jump on my iMac and test it tomorrow with my copy of RC2 hopefully and tell u what i find with services too.

Good work champ, keep it up! :yes:

I followed this list, and now i cannot load up the control panel :crazy:

Which of these services do I need to re-start in order to get this to work.

Having to go through the whole list will be pretty time consuming, so if anyone knows which service

I need to enable I would be greatful.

Thanks

I followed this list, and now i cannot load up the control pane:crazy:zy:

Which of these services do I need to re-start in order to get this to work.

Having to go through the whole list will be pretty time consuming, so if anyone knows which service

I need to enable I would be greatful.

Thanks

Software Licensing I would guess ma:) :)

you have to re-enable readyboost :) . I had the same problem. It sound weird , but it works !

Readyboost doesn't work without Software Licensing either, just like the Control Panel.