Bully gets bullied

Late last month, we reported on a request for a restraining order on sales of Rockstar's game Bully filed by the Don Quixote of video game violence, Jack Thompson. The motion was heard today in a Dade County courtroom in Florida, and according to Mr. Thompson, the court "ordered production of the game by tomorrow at 3 pm, for his full review of the game while it is being played, up to or more than 100 hours."

Thompson is claiming that this represents a "huge victory against the violent video game industry, regardless of the ultimate ruling on the injunction." This would be the first time that a judge has ever asked to review a game before its public release. Currently, Bully is scheduled for release on Tuesday by Take Two and Wal-Mart, who are the targets of Thompson's legal action.

The judge will not actually play the game, although it would be funny if he did. Instead, a Take Two employee will play the game under direction from the judge for the 100 hours. Hopefully they have comfortable couches and plenty of snacks for the duration. If the judge finds the game to be acceptable, it will ship on Tuesday as planned. If, however, the judge decides that the game is not acceptable, he will issue a temporary restraining order banning the sale of the game to minors.

Thompson had previously described the game as a "Columbine simulator," but after reviewers such as our own Ben Kuchera were able to play a complete copy it became clear that the title was more about fisticuffs and schoolyard weapons rather than machine-guns and killing sprees. Not to be outdone, Thompson brought in a giant homemade slingshot to the courtroom, a move which surprised even the judge.

When the defense for Take Two asked for formal paperwork to be provided for this unusual request, the judge said that it would take too long, and shot down the request by shouting "Not a chance in this world!" Clearly, emotions were running high, and reports indicate that some of the defense council were making inappropriate comments during the hearing. For example, when the issue of force feedback in relation to heads being driven over by cars was raised, one of them stood up and shouted "Like a speed bump!"

Clearly, Take Two is enjoying the controversy surrounding the game and hopes that the media attention will help boost sales, although if the ban goes into effect it would greatly limit sales in Florida. However, if the video game rating system set up by the ESRB is made to look foolish and ineffective, there is the danger that the government may see fit to impose their own restrictions on the industry. Anyone who remembers the old "Comics Code" that was first laid down in 1954 knows that it seriously hampered the creativity and breadth of that medium for decades. Limitations in the code meant that, for example, Superman couldn't kill anybody, leading to some ridiculous plot lines. While the prospect of flower-picking matches replacing death matches in Halo 3 is remote, no fan of video games wants to see the government vetting game content prior to release.

Source

About the Game (IGN)

i wish people like jack dies. A game is a game, who care what is about. Let the companys release the freakin game

He's just a lawyer, albeit an outspoken one, but no need to wish him dead. There's far more deserving of that fate.

people who blame game for there kids going out and killing people need to have there heads checked . im mean if a kid plays a game and then rusn out and kills someone THEY HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY PLAYED THE GAME

STOP BLAMING THE GAME MAKERS FOR YOU OWN F**KED UP KIDS

i wish people like jack dies. A game is a game, who care what is about. Let the companys release the freakin game

qft- this guy is extremely annoying :no:

Yeah, he just needs a couple of bones broken. :p

Nope, just one: the third cervical vertebra. Then all you need to do is roll his head around until the spinal cord snaps...

Nope, just one: the third cervical vertebra. Then all you need to do is roll his head around until the spinal cord snaps...

O_O I hope you're a doctor. If not, that's just scary.

Anyway, I say ship the game. As was previously mentioned, if someone plays the game and acts on it, there were underlying problems. People just don't kill someone in a game and think "Hey, that'd be kinda fun to beat some random guy to a bloody pulp." It just doesn't work that way. We all know that. Even this guy knows it; he just doesn't want to admit it.

Jack = Extermist right wing ******! Nuff said. I dont see him campaigning against violent movies or the sale of weapons? Was some one deprived a NES as child?

Jack = Extermist right wing ******! Nuff said. I dont see him campaigning against violent movies or the sale of weapons? Was some one deprived a NES as child?

I would bet more that he is just following the money. Who's to say that he really believes what he says.

What has he accomplished? He sure has made a name for himself. No matter if you like or dislike him, you have to agree that he has made a name for himself. And I would assume in the lawyer world, reputation/name == money.

I really despise Jack. He comes off as one man that wishes he was everyones parent. It was pretty apparent for instance when they had the video a few months back with the 3 men debating games and Jack said that an appropriate course of action would be for developers to give HIM the game so that he can see if its appropriate for consumers.

Im sorry but I dont see why he believes he has the right or propper judgement to tell us whats appropriate for us. Yes in media lines need to be drawn but thats what the R rating is for. There is alot worse things in media and most of the most horrific events in history occurred well before the concept of computer games, something he conviniently overlooks. I know before I had ever played a game I'd play in the park with toy guns (they made sound, nothing was shot) and it was alot of fun at the time. Would he also consider that terrorist training. Hell I even had a camouflage shirt.

But yes, he should step back and let the ratings board do their part. Equally to blame are the judges that are letting this one man dictate and censor people. If the games not appropriate give it an R but it shouldnt be jack making that decision or enforcing a pernament ban.

The most amusing aspect is that many of these games that are yet to be released he hasnt even played himself, hes just going on word of mouth. He truely is one of the worlds greatest douches.

people who blame game for there kids going out and killing people need to have there heads checked . im mean if a kid plays a game and then rusn out and kills someone THEY HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY PLAYED THE GAME

STOP BLAMING THE GAME MAKERS FOR YOU OWN F**KED UP KIDS

Quite right.

Thompson always goes on about the kids who went on shootings and the fact they played GTA before. No idea on the exact numbers, but how many shootings have there been? 4? 5? How many copies of GTA have been sold.... millions? billions?

I've seen much more sex and violence on TV than in GTA or any other game.

Not sure what the all the fuss is about really..

If the game does in fact cause violent behaviour, it should be banned from being sold _to minors_ and everybody should be happy since it makes the world a better place

If it doesn't cause such behaviour, the judge will not ban it, and everyone will be happy

Either way Jack Thompson will be happy

The ignorance of men like him will be our worlds undoing.

This man, single minded in his purpose and blind to all else, is as much a terrorist or a Bushyte or a fascist as those we fear most today - but he is supported.

People like him should make us all very afraid, and he's just fighting video games.

Edit: *grumble* Bushi te spelled correctly gets bleeped out.

Lets see.

A) Violence has always existed. i.e The Crusades

B) Around 2% of the population have social or mental problems and are deamed dangerous.

C) He lives in a country that actively chooses to sell guns (right up to Semi-Automatic Rifles).

D) People who commit these offences, 90% of the time had pre-existing social or mental problems. (most attacks are vindication on those who have wronged them)

E) TV / Film / Radio / Internet all contains violent scenes and information (The net can teach you how tomae bombs)

F) Jack speaks not for a majority but a minority (Right wing Republican America)

G) There already is an addequate rating system government approved for games (Much like there is for film)

H) Studys have shown playing games increases co-ordination , problem solving and reading skills in children. (Something that as a modern society we should embrass)

I) Jack grew up without video games and ha yet to actually play one.

J) Banning or depriving kids of this kinda game will just make them want it more.

K) The age range hes trying to protect are in no way considered children, more young adults.

L) If a parent buys a 5-12yr old a game like GTA the vault lies with the parents for neglecting to research what there allowing a child to play. (You wouldnt hand your kids a pack of smokes at 5 so dont give them GTA etc)

M) Jack is merely scapegoating to make profit and avoiding any real issues which lead that tiny % of young adults to commit these acts.

N) Jack doesnt state that most of these cases involve Teens, a group who are some of the most emmotionally un-balanced people about.

Thats al i got for now.... but theres no doubt more

Damn the judge gets to play the game before us & that too without spending a buck , I Wanna Be a JUDGE
No, the judge DOSN'T play the game, he WATCHES it.

Quite right.

Thompson always goes on about the kids who went on shootings and the fact they played GTA before. No idea on the exact numbers, but how many shootings have there been? 4? 5? How many copies of GTA have been sold.... millions? billions?

I've seen much more sex and violence on TV than in GTA or any other game.

too right

$10 says the kids also played sport, attended school and watched the news at some point in their life. My god perhaps we should ban all of thse too.

i would be happy for games like this to be restricted / banned.

Why ?

well I cannot control what other parents let thier kids do, my boy has only just started school and already been bullied by someone who I know for a fact plays games beyond his age and mimmicks them in the play ground.

they are 4 & 5 years old for godsake.

Unfortunately it will be the true gamers that will suffer if these games are banned, but someone will have to take control of the situation if the parents can't !!

i would be happy for games like this to be restricted / banned.

Why ?

well I cannot control what other parents let thier kids do, my boy has only just started school and already been bullied by someone who I know for a fact plays games beyond his age and mimmicks them in the play ground.

they are 4 & 5 years old for godsake.

Unfortunately it will be the true gamers that will suffer if these games are banned, but someone will have to take control of the situation if the parents can't !!

If the parents can not take control of their children and teach them what is right and wrong or even regulate what THEIR kids are doing, then they have no business being parents.

I was once a child... I was taught what is right and wrong. If I did something wrong, I was explained why it was wrong and why not to do it. My parents were a bit different in that they let me watch and play most things; but always explained them so that I understood. That said, I had to go to bed at 7:30 until I was 10 and all that jazz and surely they weren't taking me to Rambo movies at that age (I watched the cartoon, mind you).

I'm a bit divided on this. On one hand, he does have a point in that games which encourages violence sometimes lead to violent behaviour. On the other hand, limiting or banning will certainly not be favourable to developers. I think it all comes down to parenting and enforcement. My parents were very strict on me concerning these matters and were always there on hand to explain about certain matters. However, if enforcement were lax, minors could easily purchase games that were not meant for them. In a way, it's a double edge sword.

Scirwode

If the parents can not take control of their children and teach them what is right and wrong or even regulate what THEIR kids are doing, then they have no business being parents.

I was once a child... I was taught what is right and wrong. If I did something wrong, I was explained why it was wrong and why not to do it. My parents were a bit different in that they let me watch and play most things; but always explained them so that I understood. That said, I had to go to bed at 7:30 until I was 10 and all that jazz and surely they weren't taking me to Rambo movies at that age (I watched the cartoon, mind you).

your missing the point, whether you think they should have the right to be parents or not the fact is that they are and YOU or I have no control over how other kids treat your kids.

I think Jack Thomson encapsulates all the naivety and scare-mongering present in the government with almost every new media. I wish he would realise this and let people make their own choices. I don't know how he can so firmly believe that the game developers are the root of society's problems, when he should really be lobbying against the parents who let their kids go out and buy whatever they want.