Apple to Windows iTunes users: Don't install Vista yet

Apple has warned Windows users running its iTunes software that they should wait for its next update before upgrading their PCs to Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company cited a variety of compatibility issues that may cause friction between the media player software, its accompanying iPod player, and Vista. Among these problems is an inability to play music or video purchased from the iTunes Store, problems synchronizing address book contact and calendar functions, and slowed runtime. Additionally, there is a chance that plugging an iPod into a computer running Vista may corrupt the device.

The problems may not affect all Windows users, according to Apple, but they are serious enough that the company does not recommend that PC owners install Vista just yet. Within the next few weeks, Apple plans to release a new version of its iTunes software that was designed primarily to address the Vista compatibility issues; when the release is available, the synchronization issues should disappear. For the time being, a special support page is available.

According to a company statement provided by Apple spokesman Derick Mains, "although iTunes 7.0.2 may work with Windows Vista on many typical PCs, Apple is aware of some known compatibility issues and recommends that iTunes customers wait to upgrade to Windows Vista until after the next release of iTunes, which will be available in the next few weeks." Apple declined further comment.

souricon.gif News Source: CNET News

Here's my solution to Windows iTunes users: Don't use iTunes :p

Why should I, as a Windows user, suffer because of one application? If everything else works for me, then I'm not going to get upset over one application. I'll continue to use Vista and will wait for iTunes update, as I think most users will.

I was just about to post thins.

Any way, I found that Windows iTunes was unusuable. Period.

i have to agree with you....if you ever use iTunes for mac going to the windows one will make you cry

Here's my solution to Windows iTunes users: Don't use iTunes :p

Why should I, as a Windows user, suffer because of one application? If everything else works for me, then I'm not going to get upset over one application. I'll continue to use Vista and will wait for iTunes update, as I think most users will.

(Y)

i read this as...

apple saying if you like our stuff, don't get vista, it'll hurt us somehow. we want to release an even more crippled version for vista, one that runs even worse than the current release, in hopes to get you to try an apple and os x.

itunes runs fine for me on vista, although it does run better (still not like i think it should) on os x. too bad i'm selling my macbook.

I think it's pretty obvious they just don't want anyone to get Vista.

And explain how it's Microsofts fault that iTunes may run bad on Vista? It's like when they blamed Microsoft for the virus that came with some of their iPods.

I like how anything they screw up is Microsofts fault :laugh:

Yeah right, Its just a scheme to stop people upgrading. :rolleyes:

It's pretty obvious what's going on here, buddy.

OMG, Apple fills me with fanboy rage!!!!!@!

Edited by raskren

Yeah right, Its just a scheme to stop people upgrading. :rolleyes:

You honestly can't see what they're doing?

Look at everything they've said about Microsoft since January 30th. They've been bashing Vista left and right since it's been out.

This is ridiculous and sleazy. It's not like Microsoft surprised the world with Vista, it's been in testing for a long time and RTM'd since November. Apple has no excuse for not having iTunes ready for it by now.

How dare Apple let their small iTunes program take precidence over Windows Vista! "Windows iTunes users: Don't Install Vista yet" should read "Windows Vista iTunes users: Don't install iTunes yet"

and besides whats the fuss about, seems to work fine for me

Let's see, hold off on upgrading the entire operating system because of one program, or just not use that program. Such a hard choice...

Let's see, hold off on upgrading the entire operating system because of possibly hundreds or thousands of pounds worth of already-purchased music not being playable or not. Such a hard choice...

5 years Vista has been in the making, 5 years. These companies have had 5 good years to make their software and drivers work properly on this OS. :no:

Yeah, this is the reason why I'm so angry on Sony! I bought a new Vaio for ?1900 last month, and will have to wait until march for Vista drivers for my sound card, graphics card and Bluetooth connection. Until then, my laptop is back on XP and without bluetooth.... Boy I'm angry!