Apple to Windows iTunes users: Don't install Vista yet

5 years Vista has been in the making, 5 years. These companies have had 5 good years to make their software and drivers work properly on this OS. :no:

No they haven't what on earth are you on about, Vista has only been with the manufactures for a short while. How could they write drivers for an unfinished product.

Lol, so Apple is asking customers NOT to install Vista because THEIR software suck? They should advise people not to install their own crappy software instead. That would make more sense, but oh yeah, they're trying to avoid getting hurt by this and on top of that trying to hurt Microsoft. TSK TSK !

I've been running Vista for about a year now and iTunes itself has worked perfectly on it since then. My only problem is that when I plug my iPod in, it loses connection to the PC on a regular basis. Connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect, etc etc. I sure hope they release a patch soon, but as others have said... Vista has been in testing now for years with many early releases being available for Apply to develop on. There is absolutely NO excuse for any software company not having software and drivers ready by now, they just have poor management.

I had a similar problem on XP that ended up being flaky drivers for my USB ports. Make sure you have the latest version of your motherboard's drivers installed.

Agree. Even if there are issues, Apple just like other developers had plenty of time.

And there are still plenty of developers who don't have Vista-ready applications and drivers, so what was your point exactly?

It's pretty obvious what's going on here, buddy.

OMG, Apple fills me with fanboy rage!!!!!@!

You honestly can't see what they're doing?

Look at everything they've said about Microsoft since January 30th. They've been bashing Vista left and right since it's been out.

I think my post was badly worded :pinch: I'm not supporting Apple on this if thats the impression it gave.

I think some of you are just missing the point, If you upgrade your PC to Vista and you don't have XP and then you want to sync your iPod you wont be able to, this would be an inconvenience to you the end user. They are just trying to save people the trouble as an iTunes fix might take a few days and if you use your iPod every day or listen to music that you bought with iTunes every day that would really suck, would it not?

Anyway they have already released a fix to make iTunes work in Vista so there is no need to come up with these crazy ideas that Apple is trying to stop people from upgrading to Vista anyone thinking so is clutching at straws.

Yeah this is perfectly understandable. I mean, it's not like Vista has been in testing the past 5 years or anything, it just popped out of the void like magic yesterday. There wasn't a final RTM version back in November either. These poor companies have just been hit over the head with a frying pan with no time to update their drivers/programs.

Let's see, hold off on upgrading the entire operating system because of one program, or just not use that program. Such a hard choice...

Sadly, Apple was about 3 days too late with this notice.

noipodforyou.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

iTunes was a deal breaker for my mother - I have to make a trip over there to remove Vista and put back XP until this works. As far as she's concerned there's no compelling reason to use Vista, a few reasons not to ("enter your password to do x", "are you sure you want y to happen?" nagging is high on that list), and every reason to use XP (it just bloody works).

I wasn't able to find out if this issue was specific to the shuffle — if it was I could just give my mother an old mini to get the job done. I'm sure as hell not doing the guess-and-test approach with a half-dozen iPods in the hopes that something works. Apple's support for Windows iPod users leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway they have already released a fix to make iTunes work in Vista so there is no need to come up with these crazy ideas that Apple is trying to stop people from upgrading to Vista anyone thinking so is clutching at straws.

I'll buy you a beer if what you say is true. I installed the most recent version of iTunes/Quicktime and the iPod Software on Wednesday and the screenshot above is me trying to work through it with tech support that evening.

Where can I get this update?

Here's my solution to Windows iTunes users: Don't use iTunes :p

Why should I, as a Windows user, suffer because of one application? If everything else works for me, then I'm not going to get upset over one application. I'll continue to use Vista and will wait for iTunes update, as I think most users will.

Apple has had how long to update iTunes? Shame on them.

They're just dragging their feet to keep iTunes users from upgrading.

douchebags

That sums up the situation here.

The first post should be updated to notify users that a patch was released on Feb 1. Since most people don't seem to read more than 5 posts in a thread.

Sadly, Apple was about 3 days too late with this notice.

noipodforyou.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

iTunes was a deal breaker for my mother - I have to make a trip over there to remove Vista and put back XP until this works. As far as she's concerned there's no compelling reason to use Vista, a few reasons not to ("enter your password to do x", "are you sure you want y to happen?" nagging is high on that list), and every reason to use XP (it just bloody works).

I wasn't able to find out if this issue was specific to the shuffle — if it was I could just give my mother an old mini to get the job done. I'm sure as hell not doing the guess-and-test approach with a half-dozen iPods in the hopes that something works. Apple's support for Windows iPod users leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll buy you a beer if what you say is true. I installed the most recent version of iTunes/Quicktime and the iPod Software on Wednesday and the screenshot above is me trying to work through it with tech support that evening.

Where can I get this update?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itu...forvista10.html I cant verify if the fix does actually fix the problems as I have been able to run iTunes flawlessly on my fresh install (read: not an upgrade over an XP install) of Vista x64 Ultimate.

Also I'm not using an iPod with iTunes on Vista I use my Mac for that so I also cannot verify if it works with iPods but I would guess a no on iPod syncing. sorry Evn.

i have to agree with you....if you ever use iTunes for mac going to the windows one will make you cry

Umm.. I use iTunes on a Mac and iTunes on Windows and I see no major differences between the two as far as look and feel go as well as performance.

I resisted iTunes pretty heavily up until version 6 in favor of Winamp. Now that I've been using iTunes for awhile I've really gotten use to it and grown to really love it. I really like the way in which you play music from your library or from a playlist. Playlists can be opened in separate windows, and it is easy to add to a playlist that is in a stand-along window. Then the integration between these playlists and my iPod is wonderful.

In WMP and Winamp you have a set "active playlist" that your "cursor" is always on and playing. You have saved playlists that populate your "active playlist" if you want to listen to it or you can put items in your "active playlist" from your library. I don't know how many times I put a lot of effort into a playlist in winamp just to have my roommate or a friend double click something in the library and destroy the whole list. I don't have that problem in iTunes because the way they made it is idiot proof (exactly what I need :D ).

Anyway I hope Apple fixes their problems with iTunes, iPods and Vista soon. It is ridiculous that they would have any problems given how much time the betas of Vista were available for them to prepare on.

Why should I, as a Windows user, suffer because of one application? If everything else works for me, then I'm not going to get upset over one application. I'll continue to use Vista and will wait for iTunes update, as I think most users will.

Because many Windows users are iTunes users who buy from the iTunes music store? Now I'm not sure if theres a way to buy songs if you don't have iTunes, but yes it's reasonable enough to upgrade to Vista (if you want that is) and just wait for the next itunes update.

Me to Apple: Leave your bloated music player out of Windows.

Seriously though, I think people who use iTunes without having an iPod are just silly and ignorant. iTunes runs two services in the background that put more memory and CPU use on the system.

I agree that Apple is trying their hardest to put off people from upgrading to Windows Vista.

In WMP and Winamp you have a set "active playlist" that your "cursor" is always on and playing. You have saved playlists that populate your "active playlist" if you want to listen to it or you can put items in your "active playlist" from your library. I don't know how many times I put a lot of effort into a playlist in winamp just to have my roommate or a friend double click something in the library and destroy the whole list. I don't have that problem in iTunes because the way they made it is idiot proof (exactly what I need :D ).

Unfortunately that's the reason I don't use iTunes. The lack of "Now Playing" playlist is stupid. (well then there is the reason for nagging Quicktime and iTunes itself that sucks the bloody life out of every windows machine I tried it on)

iTunes annoys me these days. I mean it has the features I want, but it is just so badly coded and resource heavy it is getting beyond a joke. I still use it though, and it is not going to stop me upgrading to Vista (which I am about to do in 30 mins).
I agree. iTunes use to be awesome, but now it is a huge resource hog and has way to many bugs in it.

And the mandatory start menu shortcuts. If iTunes continues like this it'll be listed as badware on my list.

Why do all of you interpret this as Vista bashing? Apple is obviously going to make iTunes for Vista, there is just a problem with it now. You should be reading it as "Windows iTunes users: if you use iTunes on a regular basis, or have an iPod (which most iTunes users do) we recommend you keep with XP until we get a fix", which, clearly, they have done (see iTunes Windows Vista Repair Tool).

It's a warning; people don't want to upgrade to Vista and suddenly not be able to use their $300 investment properly because they bought a $200 piece of software.

And there wasn't much point in Apple coding iTunes for Vista even since the RC's; the OS kept changing every release, so it was just as well to wait until the end and fix it then. You could say they have had several months to fix it, but it's not like they haven't been doing anything at all.

$499 piece of software.

souricon.gif News Source: CNET News

This is pathetic; Windows Vista RTM has been made available for almost three months and the STILL don't have a Vista compatible version of iTunes/Quicktime out yet? Dear god that is pathetic; it makes be thank the lord I don't own one of those damn things; I've got a Cowon iAudio, it may not be sexy but atleast it mounts just like a regular disk and its just a matter of drag and dropping music accross when required rather than using a dinky interface.