Vista price petition pops up on Government site

AFTER LINGERING Prime Minister Toby Blair effectively told the two million-odd road tax epetition-signers to go boil their sumps, another campaign popped up on the government's toy website.

This one demands that Blair "bring pressure on Microsoft for the huge difference in prices between the UK and the US".

The petiton claims that, in the UK, a "full copy of Vista Ultimate would cost you ?350, in the US it would cost you ?195. The US version of Vista is exactly the same as the UK version. There is no difference".

Why should Microsoft expect us to pay more than the Yanks, the petitioner wants to know.

"I ask people to sign this petition in the hope that the Prime Minister will bring pressure to bear on Microsoft over their pricing as it is my belief they are simply overcharging the people of the UK and therefore are ripping us off."

The petition has currently mustered 142 signatures

Petition

Source

yawn online petitions are a joke

If you are seriously comparing an average online petition service like http://www.petitiononline.com to the UK Prime Ministers official petition service; a service that had Prime Minister Tony Blair e-mailing an official response to over 1.7 million people just two days ago, then you either lack the ability to understand what all this is about, or you just havent clicked the links or made any effort to find out whats going on before posting tbh

Obviously, but let's not jump the gun. The government will dismiss it as us wanting them to ditch the whole tax system, at least on this one they have all the specifics for one of the worst cases.

Yes i suppose. I signed it even though i know it's not going to affect anything. If they do decide to do something about Vista wouldn't it also have to apply to other thngs? Otherwise it would just look like they're picking on Microsoft.

its not going to make much difference IMO, as only yesterday No. 10 dismissed a petition on the site which asked for DRM to be banned.

As I said in the comments on the front page, I've signed it, but the peition is maybe a little unfair, as it ignores VAT. The price advertsied in the UK includes VAT, whereas in the USA, taxes are not includes in the price shown. Also, we pay more VAT than the US customers do. However, even if we ignore VAT, we still pay more than people in the US do. Add to that Gate's pathetic excuse: - "I've lost track of currency rates".

I signed it, hopefully more people follow suit, if the petition gets substantial signatures then i see something coming of this, the PM isnt just some ignorant little git the way he sometimes comes accross to be

If you are seriously comparing an average online petition service like http://www.petitiononline.com to the UK Prime Ministers official petition service; a service that had Prime Minister Tony Blair e-mailing an official response to over 1.7 million people just two days ago, then you either lack the ability to understand what all this is about, or you just havent clicked the links or made any effort to find out whats going on before posting tbh

The 10 downing street petitions are still just a joke. They stock political-bs that was sent as a reply shows how "seriously" they are taken! Not at all!

yawn online petitions are a joke

Inplode is right (at least on a fundamental level). While they aren't really completely "a joke", online petitions and 'vote your support' sites are too subject to fraud and manipulation to have a lot of value.

Just like paper-n-ink letters sent to your government representatives carry much more weight than and email, a physically signed petition carries more significance than online polls.

You people do realise that imported goods usually cost more than domestic goods, right?

yes, but its a bit of a difference between ?200 and ?300 for exactly the same thing (and thats without tax or VAT). Thats a $200 difference fo you in America.

Especially when MS and Gates is making such a crappy excuse for it.

yes, but its a bit of a difference between ?200 and ?300 for exactly the same thing (and thats without tax or VAT). Thats a $200 difference fo you in America.

Especially when MS and Gates is making such a crappy excuse for it.

You also realize that electronics are MUCH cheaper in Japan and South Korea than in the US? Welcome to the global market people. Do realize that the UK has benefits that most Americans in the US would envy. We DO get shafted in other areas.

You also realize that electronics are MUCH cheaper in Japan and South Korea than in the US? Welcome to the global market people. Do realize that the UK has benefits that most Americans in the US would envy. We DO get shafted in other areas.

bingo...its life, thats what the market will support their, if you really want to show your anger towards it, stop buying the products! It doesnt make alot of sence to microsoft when people like your self complain about the price and yet vista sells very well...its pure business strategy here, they did not blindly pull this number out of the floppy disk drive. Market research will tell you what the market will bare and accept, obviously the price they set is working for them.

retail costs 499.99 CAD + 15% here in canada... comes up to 575 which is 253 quid. still a hundred pounds less than the uk... and thats a huge difference.

err thats right we went to 14%... so thats 570

Edited by linsook

Signed but it ain't gonna get anywhere as someone else mentioned if only this particular item was overpriced than we would of expected a good outcome otherwise its going straight into the trash muncher.