Vista price petition pops up on Government site

You also realize that electronics are MUCH cheaper in Japan and South Korea than in the US? Welcome to the global market people. Do realize that the UK has benefits that most Americans in the US would envy. We DO get shafted in other areas.

But have you seen the reason Mr gates has given for the price difference.

I can understand price differences, yes. Its annoying, but its a fact of life. But when a company makes such a crappy excuse, then that does really irratate me.

just fyi, Mr gates has said in an interview, the reason for the price differences is because MS had lost track of currancy values. Now to me, thats BS. What is the point of even saying that, when everyone knows that is not the case.

It's markets nothing more, if Tony puts more Preasure on Microsoft in the UK Microsofts Board of directors can just say well cya were pulling out.

Watch the Markets in the London Stock exchange and also the New York stock exchange you will see there is a big difference between the US Markets and the UK's Markets.

just fyi, Mr gates has said in an interview, the reason for the price differences is because MS had lost track of currancy values. Now to me, thats BS. What is the point of even saying that, when everyone knows that is not the case.

Well, it probably has been several decades since Mr. Gates has had personal contact with this "currency" of which you speak. :p

Signed. Although the OEM prices are quite good...

Sentiment shared.

Happily signed. Now let's start placing bets on how long it takes Mr. Tony 'Failure' Blair to deny our wishes and email us all saying it's for "The greater good" or some other complete Nonsense!

Why don't they just force Microsoft to separate the OS from it's main monopoly making applications? I'd love to buy Vista and then buy whatever I want like Media Player, Messenger, Internet Explorer, Movie Maker, Windows Mail etc.

Artificial constraints like 3 programs at a time is indicative of a monopoly.

Some argue "How are we going to download anything???" well what if MS bundled an internet connection with the OS, same argument.

The result per above would be other software companies would have an immensively greater chance at getting revenue in the browser and media player market and they could have much better software and software in stores. When was the last time you saw a media player software box in a store, and how long will it take before PowerDVD and WinDVD would give up ghost as Vista is capable of playing back CSS enctrypted DVD files?

1. remove and prevent Microsoft from bundling major apps with Windows

2. prevent Microsoft from giving out the software "Free" by either a download link, windows update, or a security update (IE 7!!!)

3. prevent Microsoft from selling the software online with any extra conviniency like through Windows Update, One-Care or Live login site

4. force them to sell the apps at reasonable research/development cost like everybody else

These suggested rules may sound fierce, but it would be necessary for other software comanies to have an 100% equal chance. Finally these software companies might get big enough and decide to release their apps to other platforms, thus weakening Microsofts stranglehold on the home computer platform further.

Linux and MacOS X bundles major apps too, but they don't have >50% market share. Though I don't trust Apple one bit more then MS.

You should be able to buy a browser over a counter, it's the most used application on a home computer.

I've been thinking about this and belive I've covered all the arguments.

1. remove and prevent Microsoft from bundling major apps with Windows

2. prevent Microsoft from giving out the software "Free" by either a download link, windows update, or a security update (IE 7!!!)

3. prevent Microsoft from selling the software online with any extra conviniency like through Windows Update, One-Care or Live login site

4. force them to sell the apps at reasonable research/development cost like everybody else

I am a 100% Linux user, and I disagree with your proposed restrictions. I do think that it would be best if Microsoft would make their OS more modular (I think they have mentioned that this is their direction for the future), so that users can elect to install Firefox instead of IE (not just 'in addition to'). And, having the computer use the Microsoft Update online service (or something similar) to make these selections actually makes sense - whether for free or for a fee.

But I disagree with these restrictions, as written.

...Linux and MacOS X bundles major apps too, but they don't have >50% market share. Though I don't trust Apple one bit more then MS.
For Linux, the point I would make that everything (outside the kernel and the GNU OS you have to install) is entirely optional. Marketshare is a non-issue with Linux. I am not familiar with Apple's products, outside playing with OSX for about 60 seconds in the computer store.

You also realize that electronics are MUCH cheaper in Japan and South Korea than in the US? Welcome to the global market people. Do realize that the UK has benefits that most Americans in the US would envy. We DO get shafted in other areas.

I'm curious, in what ways do Americans get shafted price-wise?

"Gas" costs on average $2.90/US Gallon over there. Costs about 89p/Litre here. After a bit of converting;

1 US Gallon = 3.785 Litres

3.785 * 89p = ?3.36 ish

So, you guys pay about ?1.45 a US Gallon, we pay ?3.36 a US Gallon.

A Xbox 360 game (CoD 3) is $58 (about ?29) whereas it costs ?37.98 here (and that's in a sale!)

The example of Vista (the purpose of this thread).

30GB iPod Video (black) in the US is $240 (?120~) in the US, it's ?189 in the UK.

I can't be bothered to find any more examples, but you get my point. I live in rip-off Britain.

I think MS is compensating for the inflated egos of Europeans in general. I'm suprised Canadians aren't charged more too for the same reason.....(runs an hides) :shiftyninja: .

I'm curious, in what ways do Americans get shafted price-wise?

I can't be bothered to find any more examples, but you get my point. I live in rip-off Britain.

and the PS3. 4 months later, and about double the price compared to japan, and ?125 more expensive than the USA. And we don't get the option of the cheaper version.

Well... let's not forget that because of the EU, which the UK is part of, Microsoft was forced to sell some retard version of XP, XP:N or whatever it was called, and due to those courts Microsoft was sued for hundreds of millions of dollars...

IMO, if I was Microsoft I would charge those countries more, hell, if they're going to sue us, yet they still want to buy our software, make them pay more. Maybe if all those little companies would stop bit**ing about MS software, and if the EU courts would stop accepting those retarded complaints it wouldn't be so damn expensive.

Well... let's not forget that because of the EU, which the UK is part of, Microsoft was forced to sell some retard version of XP, XP:N or whatever it was called, and due to those courts Microsoft was sued for hundreds of millions of dollars...

IMO, if I was Microsoft I would charge those countries more, hell, if they're going to sue us, yet they still want to buy our software, make them pay more. Maybe if all those little companies would stop bit**ing about MS software, it wouldn't be so damn expensive.

good point, forgot about that.

IMO, if I was Microsoft I would charge those countries more, hell, if they're going to sue us, yet they still want to buy our software, make them pay more. Maybe if all those little companies would stop bit**ing about MS software, and if the EU courts would stop accepting those retarded complaints it wouldn't be so damn expensive.

:rofl: Like that doesn't embody exactly the kind of abuse that Anti-Monopoly laws are designed to prevent!

Yeah, that's right. Microsoft screw over the little people who buy their software to get back at the EU...I'm sure the EU care :p

Its the price you pay for a version of Windows without Windows Media Player.

You want US prices? Put Windows Media Player back in.

edit:

You dont really see Real Networks or Apple complaining over MS with WMP. Thats mainly due to the fact that Real Networks and Apple have their own proprietary media formats which arent supported in WMP, which require the use to actually use their products.

WMP wasnt something designed to monopolize the market. It was designed to be a free media playing solution for people who had no idea that such capabilities existed. Before WMP7, WMP was just a simple video and audio player. WMP7 and beyond took cues from other programs with media library and visualizations and such.

Its the price you pay for a version of Windows without Windows Media Player.

You want US prices? Put Windows Media Player back in.

If it was up to the people, the Microsoft wouldn't have needed to take WMP out.

And anyway, in the UK, XP/Vista both come with WMP....so I, to be honest, have no idea what you lot are on about :p

If it was up to the people, the Microsoft wouldn't have needed to take WMP out.

And anyway, in the UK, XP/Vista both come with WMP....so I, to be honest, have no idea what you lot are on about :p

Just read one of the previous posts.

The removal of WMP came at a price...court prices and all that crap.

I mean its not written fact, but its a good guess that MS is trying to make up for all that lost money over the court cases and labor to make a WMP-free version of Vista AND XP.

I don't think Microsoft is doing it out of spite, after all, a lower price is a greater incentive to purchase the product. If Vista is going to be cheaper, the EU/England with have to make up the difference themselves.

BTW who thinks that the EU will make another fuss over Vista for no reason and start fining them again?

Ahh the price of importing...

We pay top dollar for clothing over here...I bring that up because I was watching some program on one of the local news networks and they did a story about India and they have local towns which house these companies which specialize in just one product which we import. And over there, local residents buy the stuff that we buy at $50-$100 for almost nothing.

There are towns just for BELTS...just for TIES. And you should see these places. We pay top dollar for small things like belts and ties...and they can get them for under a buck.

The price of importing...and capitalism.

Its not the EU's or our fault that Microsoft products are made in the US.

Just read one of the previous posts.

The removal of WMP came at a price...court prices and all that crap.

I mean its not written fact, but its a good guess that MS is trying to make up for all that lost money over the court cases and labor to make a WMP-free version of Vista AND XP.

The rest of Europe got the N versions of windows. The UK didn't. We have the same full version that the US have. So, back to the point of the petition, why are people in Britain getting ripped off? We have nothing to do with the N versions here.

Ripoff France, Germany, Belgium etc, just not lil ol' Britain :(