New version of Vista SP1 Beta

I dont think it will be on there anytime soon. Never is, they did the same thing before. Everyone known to man had a build by getting it from other sources and the testers are left without it.

The links to the new SP1 were posted in the SP1 Beta Newsgroups, and also available from the Connect Downloads page. (for those in the beta that is)

I guess MS is good on track.

Maybe even Vista SP1 final in Jan/Feb 2008 :woot:

I'm hoping. Seems like even the beta before did fix some problems. I am excited to find out what this one improves.

Meh I have to reinstall vista now, then install the SP

:cry:. This is gonna be a looong night.

Damn I was gonna download the complete file. However speeds went down fast. Went from a nice 1.27MB/sec to 550-560kb/sec

Windows Vista SP1 RC Preview (6001-17042-071107-1618) Update for X86 and X64 6001-17042-071107-1618

Windows6.0-KB936330-X64_wave0_SPInstaller.exe 734.3 MB

Windows6.0-KB936330-X86_wave0_SPInstaller.exe 434.84 MB

I guess MS is good on track.

Maybe even Vista SP1 final in Jan/Feb 2008 :woot:

I say Feb 27th ;) same day as Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008, and SQL Server 2008.

So you have to uninstall and reinstall your Service Pack ? Will it affect other programs etc (as in, do you basically have to reformat the whole Windows?)

So you have to uninstall and reinstall your Service Pack ? Will it affect other programs etc (as in, do you basically have to reformat the whole Windows?)

I wouldnt bother reinstalling vista completely for betas, just uninstall the beta, install the new one and done. However for final I would reformat and reinstall vista then install the SP, or slipstream it (not sure if it will be easy though).

Sorry if this has already been answered:

Is there a time bomb?

There are in the versions before, so I am going to say yes. Although final Service Pack 1 should be out before it expires.

There are in the versions before, so I am going to say yes. Although final Service Pack 1 should be out before it expires.

Thanks! So will it update itself to final version or will I have to unistall SP1 beta/rc manually first?

I wouldnt bother reinstalling vista completely for betas, just uninstall the beta, install the new one and done. However for final I would reformat and reinstall vista then install the SP, or slipstream it (not sure if it will be easy though).

What's the advantage of reinstalling vista when SP1 Final comes out?

What's the advantage of reinstalling vista when SP1 Final comes out?

I've always done that with service packs, that way nothing can really mess with it or whatnot, and gives it a fresh start. It's user choice though.

from what i can tell it is a release candidate preview . i have the feeling more will be released if the bug count is high ...

one thing this build may have addressed is the way vista reads your memory (ie . 4 gig will = 4gig and the same with video memory)

Would someone be so kind as to remind me of the easiest way to uninstall the SP1 beta so I can reinstall this one? I remember the process being pretty straightforward, but I haven't had to do this in a while.

Also, did anyone else get a WEF warning email? As in, "stop telling people what we tell you." Or, was it just me... I swear I didn't break the NDA, so I'm hoping we all got an email due to the info that was leaked a few weeks back.

Edit:

I figured it out, you can do it through the uninstall programs feature in the Control Panel. Unfortunately, when i try and uninstall the SP1 update KB936330, I get a generic "uninstall failed, some components were not removed" error. I've tried rebooting, etc, and no luck. Also, I can't upgrade to the newer SP1 RC until I get this sorted out. (I already tried.)

I have NO idea what's going on or why the uninstall is failing.

Edited by roaddog

Tried booting into safemode, still no love.

There's no error code, just a msg that says: "An error has occured. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."

This sucks. Now I'm going to have to spend the next hour poking around the connect NG's and hope someone else found a solution to this.

This sucks. Now I'm going to have to spend the next hour poking around the connect NG's and hope someone else found a solution to this

or reformat your windows :(

For those of you who are actually still in the Vista / Longhorn Beta, making ANY comments concerning SP1 here or anywhere else constitutes a breach of your NDA in connection with the Vista / Longhorn Beta.

You know who you are, and you're just making it more difficult for those of us who DO follow the NDA.

I hope you get what's coming to you - seriously!

--ScottKin