avast! Windows Home Server Edition Now Officially Released!

avast! Windows Home Server Edition Now Officially Released!

The avast! multi-award winning technology is now available on the Windows Home Server platform, combining with avast! Professional Edition and avast! Home Edition to protect both your server and your Windows PC from the lastest malware threats. With our recommended use of the avast! Professional Family pack you can even schedule antivirus scans for all of your computers to run in your absence.

avast! Windows Home Server Edition is a collection of award winning, high-end technologies that work in perfect synergy, having one common goal: to protect your system and valuable data against computer viruses. It represents a best-in-class solution for any Windows Home Server including, HP Mediasmart Server, Fujitsu Siemens SCALEO Home Server, Iomega HomeCenter Server, Medion Home Server, Tranquil Harmony Home Server, and Velocity Micro NetMagix HomeServer or running on machines provided by other companies such as Acer, Advantec, Gateway and LaCie.

There's also a bundle product combining avast WHS Edition and up to 10 licenses of avast! Professional Edition. It's called avast! Professional Family Pack at a 25% introductory discount.

post-45949-1198365540_thumb.png

Site/Info: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-windows-hom...er-edition.html

Screenshots: http://www.avast.com/eng/screenshots-avast...ome-server.html

Who are the two others?

OK, you're right. I probably jumped the gun on that one after going back and looking... I was thinking of Diskeeper and Perfect Disk which are integrated defragmenters for WHS, not antivirus solutions. While not designed specifically for WHS, AVG AV Network Edition is one of the few currently available anti-virus solutions that is 100% compatible with WHS but does not offer the console integration option. ESet Smart Security Suite is designed specifically for WHS and offers a combination service of AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, Personal Firewall, and AntiSpam services. F-Secure has supposedly been in the works to release an AV product for WHS but there has been no public beta or release news so far.

Good to see the various companies getting on the WHS bandwagon. I've been eying the HP home server for a while now, it's a pretty nice piece of kit and I'm rather tempted to buy one.

i've been eyeballing the hp mediasmart server myself. i finally added it to my amazon.com cart yesterday but then saw it was backordered so I took it out.

was curious if it needed AV. Apparently it does. Will likely wait for Windows OneCare to add support since I already pay for that.

I got the HP MediaSmart Server and its great. I'm loving it so far. What are the other two companies that Budious said that have antivirus fo WHS??

What are the other two companies that Budious said that have antivirus fo WHS??

So far only Avast released complete with specific home server support and integrated gui for home server console. Technically, as windows home server is a modified version of windows server 2003 SB, you can run any antivirus that supports server 2003, but there is a risk of interfering with shares and the way home server is balancing storage (even Avast was having issues with shares in early betas).

As for the other two Budious was referring are defragment tools that also offer gui for server console, Diskeeper 2008 & PerfectDisk 8.

post-45949-1199053048.jpg

Edited by martyras