New Line Shifts to Blu-ray Exclusivity

Following Warner's lead, sister company New Line has confirmed that it will support Blu-ray Disc high def releases exclusively. New Line has previously delayed their day-and-date new releases on HD DVD due to the format's lack of region coding, effectively making titles such as Shoot 'em Up, Hairspray, and Rush Hour 3 exclusive to Blu-ray. Although a 2008 release slate for the studio has not been released, an announcement may be possible at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Source: Variety | Blu-Ray.com

Are Blu-Ray CDs pirate-able though?
of course they are....in due time. :D

*ahem*

Boy has this been a bad time for HD DVD :( Either way, at least we can kind of see the end of the road for this damn format war.

Can't we have just one main thread for all this? Its annoying having like 6 threads discussing the EXACT same topic again and again.

btw Supposedly Paramount is going to announce Blu support at CES?

I was an HD-DVD supporter, but it's just good to see this end one way or the other. Hopefully the other studios will follow suit right away and HD-DVD will die a quick death.

Yay for going exclusive to the format with region coding and more itchy DRM and copy protection wich may force you to service yoru player for firmware upgrade to play your future discs.

I just added 2 new movies to my collection : Rush Hour 3 (New Line) and Resident Evil Extinction (Sony).... Both on DVD and will watch them on my 1080p upscaling DVD player.

They where also available on Blu-Ray, for about $10 more for each movie. I don't have a Blu-Ray player so.... DVD for now!

i got 14 hd-dvd's, should i sell them now or hold on to them?

Doesn't really matter... you're not going to get too much for them now is my bet. I've got 6, and I'm just going to hold on to them.

I have a handful of HD-DVDs from Universal's arsenal. I'm going to keep them since my A2 won't magically stop working. I would have done the same with my blu-rays if Warner happened to shift to HD-DVD.

Let's see what FOX and Disney do now.

Agent: FOX and Disney already exclusively support Blu-Ray.

C'mon studios, let's get this crap over with.

Another one bites the dust'ahhh.... :laugh:

Well, hopefully we'll continue to see falling prices for Blu-Ray players in spite of the apparent win. Come on Paramount... finish him!

People should just save their money and either:

wait 1 more month for the movie to come out on demand

wait 2 more months for the movie to come out on Starz

wait 3 months for the movie to come out on HBO

wait 2-3 years for the movie to come out on FX, TNT, TBS, Fox, etc...

Let's see what FOX and Disney do now.

FOX not going red is being reported as the reason of Warner going Blu. So I wouldn't worry that much about fox. Disney, on the other hand are the only ones making decent releases on Blu-ray. Best studio so far.

HD DVD was dead from the start, the name didn't ring well.

It's like VHS and SVHS, doesn't seem like a big deal. Blu-Ray makes you wonder and has edge to it ;)

HD DVD was dead from the start, the name didn't ring well.

It's like VHS and SVHS, doesn't seem like a big deal. Blu-Ray makes you wonder and has edge to it ;)

:blink:

HD DVD "rings" better than "Blu-Ray", IMO

Yay for going exclusive to the format with region coding and more itchy DRM and copy protection wich may force you to service yoru player for firmware upgrade to play your future discs.

Exactly. I'm glad there's an end to the format war, it has seriously hurt adoption and prices haven't fallen like they should in a competitive environment. But I'm saddened by the victor, HD-DVD was a far more consumer friendly format and far more feature complete from day one. Even bluray profile 1.1 isn't capable of everything HD-DVD is.

It really surprises me that this happened cause hasn't Warner spoken out against bluray's lack of these things?