Start Panel Editor 1.1

i know a lot of you have been waiting for this for a while, and it's finally done :D

it's finally done, after some procrastination on my part :blush: and a few long nights spent trying to figure out the email icon, i decided to remove it, because i can't get all the parts of it to work. :crazy:

also, it now needs SP1 for xp because a few problems could only be resolved by updating to SP1. if you do need SP1, it will tell you and automatically open the SP1 webpage.

here it is, enjoy :woot:

Edit: Due to Neowin's conversion to IPB 2.0, the file was lost. I've re-uploaded it, so no need to worry :p 3324 downloads so far! :woot:

Start_Panel_Editor.zip

Edited by gameguy

thanks radish :) could you please remove the file though? i want people to get the new version instead of asking me about the beta :laugh: if not, oh well. thanks anyway :D

radical!

you're a, no.. THE rad-mod, radish :o :) (radical radish)

My entry in the Neowin Reference English Dictionary has been updated - courtesy of you :D ....

Radish.

This program is great!!! I had used the OEM modified start menu thingy before, but to change all the other (useless) buttons is great! I love it! Good work gameguy!!

Love it!!

i just showed it to my friend, he just bought an emachine :pinch: and he likes it, but he said he thinks i have too much time on my hands :laugh:

yeah, i would have had it up here about 5 days ago if i just decided to leave the damn email icon out :crazy: lol. but it's done. now i need to find a new project :ninja:

:rofl: jazmon again with the screenshot request :shifty: i should have posted one earlier, but i never think about them :(

anyway: this is what it looks like with KB update installed. if you don't have it installed, a link to it will be placed where the "set program access and defaults" option is.

post-12-1055975648.jpg

post-12-1055975648.jpg

I am sure I can guess how to get this to work from the reg file examples, do know off hand if one is able to add more icons to the start menu, such as one below the OEM Icon? Just seeing how far I can push XP, before go blowing up my version of XP again. :)

Do you know off hand if there are registry settings for pinning Icons to the start menu?  If so what they are.  This may become my work around.

I believe you can just Right-click any .exe file and choose pin to Start menu.

>XP Pro SP1

i don't know off hand but i would assume yes. how else would windows remember which icons are "pinned"? ;) but i don't know where they're stored and i could even be wrong :ninja:

it should work on all future versions of windows that use the xp style start menu. if you have any problems with it on xp or server 2003, PM me and i will fix it. it should also work on longhorn, but that's in alpha stage and i didn't design it for longhorn. ;)

• 2 weeks later...