Scientists warn of chemical-autism link

Autism and environmental health experts called for greater scrutiny of chemicals found in the environment, which could potentially lead to autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders, in a conference call Tuesday.

"We live, breathe and start our families in the presence of toxic chemical mixtures and constant low-level toxic exposures, in stark contrast to the way chemicals are tested for safety," said Donna Ferullo, Director of Program Research at The Autism Society.

"Lead, mercury, and other neurotoxic chemicals have a profound effect on the developing brain at levels that were once thought to be safe," she said.

Autism spectrum disorders are being diagnosed at unprecedented rates, partly because of improved diagnostic tools and criteria, but also a host of other factors including what mothers-to-be are exposed and consequently their unborn children too, said Irva Hertz-Piccotto, Chief of the Division of Environmental Health at the University of California, Davis, and a faculty member at the Mind Institute.

About 1 in 110 children in the United States has autism, a group of developmental disorders that lead to impairments in behavior, communication and socialization.

more

I'm surprised that all of our offspring aren't mutants or deaf mutes or something. It's just crazy to pump all of those hazardous chemicals into the environment.

About 1 in 110 children in the United States has autism, a group of developmental disorders that lead to impairments in behavior, communication and socialization.

more

This is only a blog so I'll let CNN off the hook but 1 in 110 U.S. children do not have autism. 1 in 110 U.S. children have something on the autism spectrum which would include the relatively large numbers with Asperger's (children on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum at least some of which could pass for "normal").

Autism has a strong genetic basis so claims that lead or other environmental factors play a role are controversial and not particularly supported by evidence.

How do I know if I'm an autistic person (or in the spectrum)?

Beign social feels like a chore?

Mild (Or not so mild) feeling of misanthropia?

IQ over 140?

You feel a lot better by your own?

You are a genious in one area of your life and a mess in others?

What I just describe is called Asperger, a mild state of autism. You can take my word on this as I have it. If you have these or worse, then you are well on spectrum.

• Being social feels like a chore?
  • Mild (Or not so mild) feeling of misanthropy?
  • IQ over 140?
  • You feel a lot better by your own?
  • You are a genius in one area of your life and a mess in others?

What I just describe is called Asperger, a mild state of autism. You can take my word on this as I have it. If you have these or worse, then you are well on spectrum.

44.png

How do I know if I'm an autistic person (or in the spectrum)?

Symptom #1: You find yourself posting aimlessly on Neowin :shifty:

Symptom #1: You find yourself posting aimlessly on Neowin :shifty:

Hum I think you probably have something about because the repetitive behavior of posting so many news is beyond me.... :laugh:

Me too I suspect. :)

It's very common, but its one of those things that are not teached at schools. Most of the time people will label autists as antisocial individuals and even try to push them and force them to act the way the rest do, stressing us.

People should understand not everyone should act the same and that we are not crippled, in fact, thanks to our "illness" we are among the most intelligent and creative members of society, and many, MANY, of the best artists, writers, philosophers, etc were autists or asperger.

Hum I think you probably have something about because the repetitive behavior of posting so many news is beyond me.... :laugh:

haha, I've thought the same in the past.

Beign social feels like a chore?

Mild (Or not so mild) feeling of misanthropia?

IQ over 140?

You feel a lot better by your own?

You are a genious in one area of your life and a mess in others?

Oh man...

;D plus, from what I've read, physical clumsiness is another symptom and I'm definitely guilty of that one : x

My Son was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2009. He's what I would call a mild case, we attend an ASD (Autism Spectum Disorder) group and some of the stories are horrifying!

Yes clumsiness (Dyspraxia) is a symptom.

Pete

Oh man...

;D plus, from what I've read, physical clumsiness is another symptom and I'm definitely guilty of that one : x

Totally true. I'm always hitting myself against doors, tables, etc. My GF finds that adorable... I do not.

My Son was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2009. He's what I would call a mild case, we attend an ASD (Autism Spectum Disorder) group and some of the stories are horrifying!

Yes clumsiness (Dyspraxia) is a symptom.

Pete

What kind of stories? I truly think some people (not all) exaggerate this. I have Asperger and honestly I lead a very productive and normal life. We can have friends, be in relationships, work, create, do anything. Like a friend of mine says "we just dont like big parties and go to church" ;)

But not all Asperger's are equal, there being an overlap with more "typical" autism spectrum disorders at the low end. This is very likely to cause a revision of the ASD classifications in DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition) set to be released in spring 2013