PCMag confirms carriers steer customers away from buying Windows Phone

Many Windows Phone users (including me) have had experience where when sale representatives attempt to steer them away from Windows Phone and to instead buy Android or iPhone, but now such experience is being confirmed by major new site: PCMag

At AT&T, the salesperson was a recent iPhone to Android convert. She was enthusiastic about WP7 devices, saying that Netflix was on WP7 and not available on her Android, and looked embarrassed when she walked me over to AT&T's unkempt WP7 display shelf. The newest WP7 phone, the HTC HD7S, didn't have a demo device. The only live demo I saw was an LG Quantum with a damaged screen (below right).

Next at a T-Mobile kiosk, the only WP7 device on display was an HTC HD7. The salesperson said the WP7 platform was well-regarded by techies, but that he couldn't personally recommend it as he carried an Android device. He was obviously more knowledgeable about the Android platform, and eventually the session turned into an iOS-bashing fest.

At a Verizon reseller kiosk, a salesman clearly tried to deter me from buying a WP7 device altogether. Not only did not he appear to know the fundamental difference between Windows Mobile and WP7, his kiosk didn't even offer WP7 devices and said you'd only find WP7 demo products at a few of Verizon's big retail stores.

"Honestly, only 1 out of 500 customers comes in here asking for a Windows phone," he said. "Verizon won't roll them out to kiosks until it performs better on the market."

At Sprint, a salesperson was impressed by my insistence on trying a WP7 device (Sprint has only on Windows Phone 7 model, the HTC Arrive), but still tried to sell me the Android-powered HTC Evo (like the one he held). When I told him I'd rather wait for another WP7 phone to hit Sprint, he tried to convince me to return on June 24 for the HTC Evo 3D.

Although he said he liked the WP7 platform, he told me, "We sell what people want. There hasn't been much demand, but I think it's growing. Just yesterday somebody came in looking for this phone."

that makes sense, if no one is buying them, and microsoft, lg, HTC aren't paying for the shelf space for their products why would they promote them?

I don't think its that, I think its actual sales people trying to steer people away from a device they have specifically come into the shop to speak about. I think someone on here said this was due to certain firms paying the stores to push their products.

that makes sense, if no one is buying them, and microsoft, lg, HTC aren't paying for the shelf space for their products why would they promote them?

I've gone to an AT&T Store specifically to buy a Samsung Focus, but AT&T representative flat out refuse to sell me the phone because "[He] didn't want to process the return".

It's not that "no one is buying them", but rather that those representatives are making it that way.

This is what I was going to say. Not to mention "Droids" are a common name that everyone hears about. They've been selling and salesmen know more about them. They "should" get to know all their products, but most seldom do, in my experience. Most consumers don't take the time to research what is best for them.

I don't think its that, I think its actual sales people trying to steer people away from a device they have specifically come into the shop to speak about. I think someone on here said this was due to certain firms paying the stores to push their products.

Yes. PCMag's reporter specifically ask for a Windows Phone and is being steer away. She did NOT ask what phone is recommend: she specifically asked for Windows Phone.

What firms? For what reason?

I think it's just a case of bad training and carries hesitance to support a new system.

They should be thanking the reps for trying to get them to purchase the better phones, I've used a WP7 handset and really wasn't all that impressive

They should be thanking the reps for trying to get them to purchase the better phones, I've used a WP7 handset and really wasn't all that impressive

yea a grid of dead icons are really impressive!

Yup, I've seen this actively happen as well on both carrier websites and in retail stores. With very good reason though: Microsoft is the only company in the country that sells phones which don't support Dutch. Laughable really.

yea a grid of dead icons are really impressive!

At least that grid with dead icons supports most commonly used languages. Not much point in having a home screen that spews large quantities of information in your face in a language you don't or hardly understand... Just saying'.

No OS or phone can be successful if you have carrier sales-people like these. I can't imagine the number of potential buyers they might have scared off. We need more Microsoft Stores :p

I've gone to an AT&T Store specifically to buy a Samsung Focus, but AT&T representative flat out refuse to sell me the phone because "[He] didn't want to process the return".

It's not that "no one is buying them", but rather that those representatives are making it that way.

while the guy is definitely a douche, maybe he's right and people are getting a lot of returns?

This is what I was going to say. Not to mention "Droids" are a common name that everyone hears about. They've been selling and salesmen know more about them. They "should" get to know all their products, but most seldom do, in my experience. Most consumers don't take the time to research what is best for them.

exactly, people always have to do their own research to form their own opinions. sales people have their own opinions too (wether it be money driven or not is a different story). if they are told or want to sell you another product, they are going to.

while the guy is definitely a douche, maybe he's right and people are getting a lot of returns?

I doubt it. The Samsung Focus has just came out when I visited the AT&T Store.

I've been using the Motorola Milestone 2 and it constantly crashes. My point: "better" is entirely objective.

Yup, I've seen this actively happen as well on both carrier websites and in retail stores. With very good reason though: Microsoft is the only company in the country that sells phones which don't support Dutch. Laughable really.

At least that grid with dead icons supports most commonly used languages. Not much point in having a home screen that spews large quantities of information in your face in a language you don't or hardly understand... Just saying'.

I always thought that seeing an icon with a number next to it was pretty much a universal way of communicating exactly the information you would want to know, I could be wrong though!!!!!!

Usually the profit margin in android phones is higher, therefor they get more commission. Simple really. That's also why there are no iphone recommendations as sales staff make zero profit from selling them.

The thing is it's probably a good thing not to sell too many more of these half-baked WP7s. Wait until Nokia+Mango comes out and do an all out ad blitz for that.

Well, the hot phones are Android and iPhone. By this time next year the WP7 phones will be jumping off the shelves and people will be lining up to get them. Just wait and see.

I always thought that seeing an icon with a number next to it was pretty much a universal way of communicating exactly the information you would want to know, I could be wrong though!!!!!!

Except for the fact that's not the only thing WP7 or iOS displays.

Well, the hot phones are Android and iPhone. By this time next year the WP7 phones will be jumping off the shelves and people will be lining up to get them. Just wait and see.

Hopefully. I just used a friend's brand new HTC Merge Android device the other day for a significant amount of time and was surprised to find out just how much smoother the flow of the interface on the 6 month old WP7 phone I have is than his. I always liked the WP7 look better, but I took for granted how well it runs compared to other smartphones.

By this time next year the WP7 phones will be jumping off the shelves and people will be lining up to get them. Just wait and see.

I respect and often agree with your opinion Growled, but in this instance I have to disagree. By nielsen's reckoning, WM7 is sitting just below or at about 1% marketshare. It's been out what, 7/8 months? Considering the worldwide release on launch and the massive amount of advertising, it's doing rather poorly. Unless by some miracle, everything changes, this is The Zune part 2.

In response to why staff are steering users away from WM7, I would think it's pretty clear. It lacks many core features people expect, such as great games, custom ring tones, large application repository, a fast browser, flash, and many others, all distinctly missing from WM7. If you factor in the very poor sales, the sales rep are doing their jobs well.

I'd be interested in knowing the return rates, but I guess Microsoft would never release that information, no doubt for the same reason its reticent regarding actual sales numbers.

I respect and often agree with your opinion Growled, but in this instance I have to disagree. By nielsen's reckoning, WM7 is sitting just below or at about 1% marketshare. It's been out what, 7/8 months? Considering the worldwide release on launch and the massive amount of advertising, it's doing rather poorly. Unless by some miracle, everything changes, this is The Zune part 2.

Translation: I am an infamous troll and disagree with any positive thing about Windows Phone.

MS does a good job of having their reps go around to stores like Office Depot, Best Buy, etc to inform reps about their products, give them free stuff, and in general make the sales reps have positive things to think about MS. They need to do this in the mobile channel, otherwise this is going to be a even harder uphill battle for them. They can advertise all they want, but getting on the good side of sales reps is where it is going to help them a ton.