Support.com pays $8.5 million for SUPERAntiSpyware

Source:thetechherald

SUPERAntiSpyware, the go to tool for many people plagued by Spyware and other problems, has been purchased by Support.com for $8.5 million in cash.

Like Spybot Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware is a free tool that is extremely useful when cleaning up a system. It?s offered in both paid and free versions, but for most the free product delivers as promised.

In addition to removing various tracking cookies, and other potentially unwanted software from a system, SUPERAntiSpyware has earned its reputation with geeks by being one of the first tools to rid systems of Rogue anti-Virus software before the major security firms got into the act.

What many people don?t know is that SUPERAntiSpyware, headquartered in Eugene, Oregon, is developed and maintained by a staff of ten. Those ten people, including founder Nick Skrepetos, will join Support.com full-time once the $8.5 million dollar deal is complete.

"This acquisition of a leading anti-malware solution advances our strategy of providing both software and services that make technology work," said Josh Pickus, President and Chief Executive Officer of Support.com, in a statement.

At the time this article was written, only a press release promoted SUPERAntiSpyware on the Support.com domain. It is expected that the free version will remain in play, but plans to push the commercial offering are clear based on the acquisition?s announcement.

?By adding anti-malware protection, a top priority for consumers and small businesses, Support.com expands the audience to whom it can market its branded services offerings? The Company's channel programs typically involve the resale of Support.com services?By adding SUPERAntiSpyware, Support.com increases the value it can bring to channel partners wishing to add software to their services programs,? the acquisition notice outlines.

On Support.com, customers can pay anywhere from $32.50 to install and sync a printer, scanner, or other connected device, to $64.99 for Wireless setup and configuration, or $84.49 for a thorough analysis of their system by a technical expert in North America. In addition, there is a subscription plan that will run $399.99 a year for up to three PCs.

Prices are slightly higher for customers who opt to call first, instead of installing a fix-it application online. For example the analysis will jump to $129.99 over the phone.

The deal is expected to close before the end of the year.

"On Support.com, customers can pay anywhere from $32.50 to install and sync a printer, scanner, or other connected device, to $64.99 for Wireless setup and configuration, or $84.49 for a thorough analysis of their system by a technical expert in North America. In addition, there is a subscription plan that will run $399.99 a year for up to three PCs."

Please tell me that this is a joke. :blink:

This signifies the end of one of my favourite anti spyware apps :(

They will probably do away with the lifetime update/support now and charge a yearly one or something :(

Support.com website seems to be a complete joke, the extortionate amount they charge, they appear to be some sort of PC world "support" for idiots.

[edit]

ROFL at their support video

[/edit]

[edit]

Further edit, I went onto their (support.com) website and entered into the chat function and asked about the takeover and how it will effect my current lifetime subscription, after having to turn off my ad/popup blocker (it won't let you enter chat if it detects it on) I was left sitting there for around 20 minutes when the window just closed, WTF!! I have Firefox and the tab just closed itself

[/edit]

This signifies the end of one of my favourite anti spyware apps :(

They will probably do away with the lifetime update/support now and charge a yearly one or something :(

It hasn't been that great as of late anyway (same goes for Malwarebytes).

It hasn't been that great as of late anyway (same goes for Malwarebytes).

The beta is actually pretty good, not had a problem with it at all, very fast and slimline. Malwarebytes can be a bit tedious, it keeps randomly blocking files for unknown spyware etc, I have the paid for versions of both.

The beta is actually pretty good, not had a problem with it at all, very fast and slimline. Malwarebytes can be a bit tedious, it keeps randomly blocking files for unknown spyware etc, I have the paid for versions of both.

Well, the paid for versions are different from the free versions. I don't believe that the companies put the same tech into the free versions. Hence my previous post.

Very sad news. Whenever a corporation gets their greedy hands on an effective FREE application, it goes to the dogs in a heartbeat. Such a shame, as I have used (and depended on) this application for years to fix people's malware mishaps. We'll see what the future brings, but for now, it's not looking too bright.