Nokia N9 announced!

Yes, another grid of icons, soooooooooooooo much nicer indeed.

As opposed to boring rectangular tiles on the side of a screen?

/OT: Liju who's teh girl in your avatar? She looks like Aishwarya...

Kajal Aggarwal imdb

It looks very good. Too bad it didn't come out earlier, horrible timing.

+ 1

RAM: 1 GB

Processor: ARM Cortex-A8 OMAP3630 1 GHz

GPU: PowerVR SGX 530

It was right there in the first post...

Dayum, I must be going blind or something... thanks :laugh:

Yeap, I apparently missed it... thanks :pinch:

It looks very good. Too bad it didn't come out earlier, horrible timing.

Agreed, I love the design and the UI, both.

Yes, another grid of icons, soooooooooooooo much nicer indeed.

I'll take a grid of icons over some giant, flat squares with a boring white icon in the middle any day.

Hardware looks amazingly good. Software looks boring. nothing different from what other phone manufactures are doing (samsung et al) and could be a skin for android if i didnt know any better. The swipe feature is the softwares only saving grace. If this ran WP7 mango it would be almost perfect.

As opposed to boring rectangular tiles on the side of a screen?

Except for the fact that they're not boring plain tiles and most update with a good chunk of usefull information, even more so with Mango in a few months. Nothing is more boring than a grid of icons that just take up screen space with no other job than to start an app.

I'll take a grid of icons over some giant, flat squares with a boring white icon in the middle any day.

Which just tells me you have no clue about Live tiles and how they work or what they can do, even more so with mango.

Looks stylish and simple to use...but do we need Meego :)

[RANT] And did we really need to post all the videos and screenhots of every page on the webpage in the first post? Simple links would have sufficed! [/RANT]

This is the kind of phone Nokia ought to have released 1-2 years ago. Now it's too little too late.

smugcat.jpg

It's never late for open sauce.

It's still pointless to release a phone running MeeGo knowing that Nokia is switching to WP7. It's nice and all, but likely to remain the only Nokia MeeGo phone. What earthly reason do customers have to buy this instead of one of the many Android phones or WP7 devices or iOS devices? 'It's open source!' is not a valid reason for 99.9% of all potential customers.

The problem is that these Meego phones are going to be priced at the higher end. Look at the N8 as an example, I can buy it for 500euros right now but it's been out how long? The E7, 600euros. I mean these aren't even new last I checked. I'm sure this N9 will sell for 800euros brand new without some expensive contract which, in the end, you'll still have to pay 300-400euros for the phone.

Android got to where it is off of lower end cheap phones that are given away for free or basically for free with a contract.

It's still pointless to release a phone running MeeGo knowing that Nokia is switching to WP7. It's nice and all, but likely to remain the only Nokia MeeGo phone. What earthly reason do customers have to buy this instead of one of the many Android phones or WP7 devices or iOS devices? 'It's open source!' is not a valid reason for 99.9% of all potential customers.

But 'brand' is of value to a lot of customers, especially the hardcore Nokia ones, and on the other end of the spectrum, the un-knowledgeable ones that just replace the phone when they release the 'next' version of it. That's why I'm so confused by this move, a lot of people will buy this one and then expect something similar from N10 and I can bet any amount of money it'll happen and it'll be running MeeGo. As I said, horrible timing, they should have had this ready last year, then test it and definitely decide to go either full on Windows Phone, or invest in MeeGo (which has potential, especially with backing from someone like Nokia). I just don't see how they plan on supporting both, seems actually worse than ditching both Symbian and MeeGo and going WP only.

As it stands now, even if there are no new Symbian phones announced, they need to take care of the userbase (maintain the Ovi Store and services etc), but by introducing this one, they are actually obliged to take care of MeeGo, all the while working on introducing WP. So, right now they're basically having three OS's. Next year they'll maybe have just two. No wonder their CTO left the company, there's still no clear roadmap imo. Either they're flip flopping to see which one does better, or they're just doing the people who expected MeeGo a favor and releasing this one as 'hello and goodbye.'

But 'brand' is of value to a lot of customers, especially the hardcore Nokia ones, and on the other end of the spectrum, the un-knowledgeable ones that just replace the phone when they release the 'next' version of it. That's why I'm so confused by this move, a lot of people will buy this one and then expect something similar from N10 and I can bet any amount of money it'll happen and it'll be running MeeGo. As I said, horrible timing, they should have had this ready last year, then test it and definitely decide to go either full on Windows Phone, or invest in MeeGo (which has potential, especially with backing from someone like Nokia). I just don't see how they plan on supporting both, seems actually worse than ditching both Symbian and MeeGo and going WP only.

As it stands now, even if there are no new Symbian phones announced, they need to take care of the userbase (maintain the Ovi Store and services etc), but by introducing this one, they are actually obliged to take care of MeeGo, all the while working on introducing WP. So, right now they're basically having three OS's. Next year they'll maybe have just two. No wonder their CTO left the company, there's still no clear roadmap imo. Either they're flip flopping to see which one does better, or they're just doing the people who expected MeeGo a favor and releasing this one as 'hello and goodbye.'

Not really though since MS handles taking care of WP and the OS compared to Nokia having to take care of it like they do with Symbian and MeeGo. The only problem is the integrated Ovi Store that they're probably going to run, but I don't see it as a big problem in the end. Symbian and Meego development isn't exactly burning hot right now. All they really need to think about is hardware when it comes to WP and any services they add in, like their Maps for example, so that those work. That's really it, no more than any other WP OEM.

Is Meego good?

Yes :)

They should have gone with MeeGo way before than WP7. If marketed correctly (something the N900 wasnt), this phone can sell alot. I do hope they make a Nokia N9i or something with a physicaly QWERTY keyboard.

I was browsing around the web and Twitter looking at general opinions, I love how basically everyone's opinion comes down to pretty much 'great phone, its success will create more questions than answers.'