Giant lizards being hunted in South Florida

They're not Godzilla size but large, nonnative lizards in two South Florida counties are being hunted down after alarming humans, including a homeowner who found one slip through a doggie door.

Nine of the critters ? formally known as Nile monitor lizards ? were seen recently in Broward and Palm Beach counties, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission warned.

"This is a high-priority species for us," Scott Hardin, who coordinates nonnative species programs at the commission, said in a statement Tuesday. "We plan to go after them aggressively to either try to eradicate them or suppress their numbers if they are determined to be established."

The commission urged residents to report sightings to 888-IVE-GOT1 instead of trying to deal with them personally.

"Monitor lizards may exceed 7 feet in length and are known to be very defensive when cornered, so the FWC discourages attempts to capture the lizards," the statement said. "They are known to be more active during the hot summer months, explaining why reports have increased."

Wildlife officials believe residents of South Florida who collect exotic animals as pets released the animals into the wild, either after the animals got too big or because they just didn't want the reptiles anymore.

220px-Nile_Monitor%2C_Lake_Manyara.jpg

more & video

What they need is Komodo Dragons down there to keep them, and everything else, in line.

I doubt even a Komodo Dragon would ever keep a croc or a gator "in line", and there are plenty of those already in that area.

I doubt even a Komodo Dragon would ever keep a croc or a gator "in line", and there are plenty of those already in that area.

That's why you need one of these

ubAQq.jpg

What the hell is an echosystem? That's what the reporter says in the video, twice

Depending on where you live, the word could be pronounced like that. I always pronounce it with a long E sound at the beginning, but I've heard others pronounce it with a short E sound, making it sound like echosystem.

Dictionary.com lists both as being correct: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ecosystem

Monitors are the least of the invasive species problem in Florida; a far bigger one is a breeding population of Burmese pythons, northern and southern African pythons, boa constrictors and yellow anacondas released by irresponsible pet owners. USGS issued the warning on those species a few years ago. BIG problem because some have been so big they've eaten alligators. 20-30+ feet for some adults.