I ordered an Android phone.

I ordered a Droid X through Newegg/Verizon Wireless, I know it's not the latest or greatest but it beats the socks off of my current crummy prepaid TracFone.

Here's my concern, when I applied I had bad credit due to some outstanding bills I am currently working on paying. I know cell phone providers usually run a credit check and if they do I'll likely be denied, but I also hear that Verizon doesn't really do credit checks, I would of course need to ensure the bill is paid in full every month else they will hit me with an early termination fee if I get the phone and service. It's a free phone with a two year contract, I also got the $29.99 data plan as I didn't need the features of the more expensive plan. I'm not even sure if I'll get the phone but I just received a shipping update from Newegg stating the phone completed processing and is ready to ship. However the email also says "As soon as it passes our Quality Assurance team, we will update our Customer Support website and send you another email so you can track your package directly on the shipper's site".

What is quality Assurance, is that just making sure the product is ok before they ship that or is that their way of saying they'll run me through a credit check before deciding to ship the phone?

Verizon does do credit checks, like all carriers. In fact, a friend of mine that used to work there said they are one of the most strict about it. I don't know what they would do if you have very bad credit, but if you don't have the best credit, they'll likely ask for a deposit. I don't know what Newegg means by QA though. Probably just trying to get an account set up. You'll likely hear soon if there's an issue.

Well if it's anything like their credit checks for Fios then I don't foresee having much of a problem. I was told they ran credit checks for Fios, but I was able to get service alright. I also read elsewhere that if I don't have outstanding bills with Verizon that I shouldn't have a problem and I have no outstanding bills with Verizon or other utility companies.

It shipped, I am now a happy man. :cry:

Awesome, Congrats! Make sure it's updated with Gingerbread when you get it!

Awesome, Congrats! Make sure it's updated with Gingerbread when you get it!

What's Gingerbread, a new version of the OS? I'm fairly tech savvy, just that I've never used anything other than a Tracfone. Something that worries me, I don't plan on doing a lot of browsing and I don't plan on downloading anything except maybe some ringtones, games and apps from the android app store, I saw that Verizon is now charging $1.99 per MB for mobile web. They pretty much charge $1.99 each time you connect no matter if you only use a couple kb.

What's Gingerbread, a new version of the OS? I'm fairly tech savvy, just that I've never used anything other than a Tracfone. Something that worries me, I don't plan on doing a lot of browsing and I don't plan on downloading anything except maybe some ringtones, games and apps from the android app store, I saw that Verizon is now charging $1.99 per MB for mobile web. They pretty much charge $1.99 each time you connect no matter if you only use a couple kb.

It's just the latest version of Android for that phone.

As for data usage, you said you got the $30 data plan right? That should include however much data Verizon gives you (dunno, I have AT&T). They won't charge you per MB until you go over that.

Yeah I hope it at least includes 2 GB - 5 GB a month as charging customers $1.99 per MB off the bat would be a bit shady or not very consumer friendly. I could live with only @ GB - 5 GB a month and not even come close to that, I might browse a few web pages on the go but for any serious downloading I have my Fios connection, I at least hope the phone supports Wi-Fi so I can download apps, games and ringtones without cutting into my cell phone data usage.

for being 'kind of tech savvy', did you research your plan at all??

By which i mean did you read what it actually gives you? you know, in that nice, easy to read list that all carriers have

Nice little phone man, congratulations! Yeah, just echoing what others have said, make sure and work out your plan details before you even turn it on. You should be on some kind of 'unlimited' data plan or whatnot. That Droid X will suck (and send) data like a mofo ;) Of course you wouldn't want it any other way.

for being 'kind of tech savvy', did you research your plan at all??

By which i mean did you read what it actually gives you? you know, in that nice, easy to read list that all carriers have

Yes I read it, but I saw the $1.99 per MB and was reading results on Google and got a bit worried. What I was reading made it sound like they don't give you a set limit for data usage and start charging $1.99 off the bat as soon as the phone connects and starts using data. I don't remember if I read anything else regarding data usage but I'll check again to be sure.

This is what it said:

Mobile Web - Pay Per Use ($1.99/MB)

Mobile Web is included in all Nationwide Calling Plans. Megabyte charges apply to Basic and Select Plans. Unless you subscribe to the 25 MB or 75 MB Data Package feature, or Select or Premium Calling Plans, megabytes sent or received using Mobile Web (including advertising) will be aggregated each month, rounded up to the next megabyte, and billed at $1.99/MB. Application charges apply in addition to charges for data sent/received. Important: On select smartphone devices, if you do not subscribe to a Data Plan or Data Feature, data usage will be billed at 1.5? per KB ($15.36 per MB), unless you add a data block or subscribe to a Wireless Email Feature. Other smartphone devices and all BlackBerry? devices require a Data Plan or a Data Feature.

I just started to wonder why I would be paying $30 for a data plan if I was also going to be billed $1.99 per MB. :unsure:

Make sure you install the CyanogenMod on it :D

I've got it on my ZTE Blade and it runs smooth as silk, on Android 2.3.4 (The latest) while the manufacturer (Orange UK) only has Android 2.1.

Here's just one YouTube vid of it running on your phone...

(Remember, the version he is reviewing was the RC0, CyanogenMod 7 is now final, in fact 7.0.3 is final.

Instruction Video on YouTube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLgMpdljQSI&NR=1

Mobile providers don't really seem to be all that concerned with credit. I know they're supposed to be but my one sister has no credit, the other has horrible credit, and one of my friends had just filed bankruptcy, all of them got approved for a new 2 year contract with major cell phone providers. Basically my one sister can't get approved for anything at all, but she did get approved for a 2 year contract with AT&T and a great phone for "free". To answer your original question though quality assurance just means that they're making sure the phone works.

I'm not sure when the new Verizon data plans kick in, but hopefully you got locked into one of the older unlimited ones like I did when I bought my phone early this month. The new data plans are pretty steep price-wise. I think the new $29.99 plan is only 2GB or something low like that. I don't use my phone nearly as much as other people I know and I've already used 1.2GB.

Congrats on your new phone! Just be sure to pay the bill because those early termination fees are brutal on smartphones.

Make sure you install the CyanogenMod on it :D

I've got it on my ZTE Blade and it runs smooth as silk, on Android 2.3.4 (The latest) while the manufacturer (Orange UK) only has Android 2.1.

Here's just one YouTube vid of it running on your phone...

(Remember, the version he is reviewing was the RC0, CyanogenMod 7 is now final, in fact 7.0.3 is final.

Instruction Video on YouTube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLgMpdljQSI&NR=1

For an instruction video I didn't see any instructions for installing Cyanogen mod. How complicated is it to install? I would be worried about bricking the phone, I don't think I would be able to get a replacement if the phone is bricked by installing unsupported software.

For an instruction video I didn't see any instructions for installing Cyanogen mod. How complicated is it to install? I would be worried about bricking the phone, I don't think I would be able to get a replacement if the phone is bricked by installing unsupported software.

I'd hold off for now on any custom roms (you do get blocked from installing any updates from Verizon - happened to me when Gingerbread was finally pushed OTA to my Droid X). As other have mentioned with the $30 data plan that covers all of your downloading/web surfing so dont worry about that 1.99 thing (i think thats for people without a data plan).

Yeah, you are getting unlimited data, which is good, because Verizon is killing it off starting July 7th. You don't need to worry about $1.99 charge, you have unlimited data.. Your phone does support WiFi too, so hop on WiFi at home/work/school, for faster browsing, and lower battery usage. Sounds like you need to do some more research!

So after July 7th do they start billing new customers $1.99 per MB or will it go to something like 1 GB - 2 GB for data usage every month instead of "unlimited" data usage?

Find out how to root your Droid X and get a recovery boot on it. Once you have that, You should have no worries of bricking.

My new Android phone is on the truck and out for delivery, the Fedex truck usually rolls around by 10:00 AM. :D

I never chose Saturday delivery as an option, but I guess they are delivering today because the estimated date for delivery is today and Monday is a holiday.

:Edit: Video embedding doesn't seem to be working.. o_O

Finally got the phone.

I am simply amazed with this thing, it's nothing short of awesome. :D

I've been playing around with it to try to figure out what everything does.

So after July 7th do they start billing new customers $1.99 per MB or will it go to something like 1 GB - 2 GB for data usage every month instead of "unlimited" data usage?

No, they're tiered data plans, as in you get X GB for $Y or Y GB for $Z, etc. Forget about the $1.99 per MB, that's just pay as you go data and has nothing to do with anything.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the phone.

One thing I am worried about is because the phone has a touch screen I am afraid of scratching, breaking and smudging it. Is there anything that I can buy to protect the screen?

My parents are interested in a family plan so I checked on Newegg/Verizon and it appears that each extra phone will cost $49.99 under the 2yr contract. On Newegg/Verizon it listed the service plan as $99.99/mo, Is that $99.99 per phone or for all phones in the family plan? Also, do I have to pay for a data package for each phone on a family plan or is it $30.00 for all phones? If this is per phone, that is mega expensive and there would be no way we could pay that even if we split the bill.

My parents are interested in a family plan so I checked on Newegg/Verizon and it appears that each extra phone will cost $49.99 under the 2yr contract. On Newegg/Verizon it listed the service plan as $99.99/mo, Is that $99.99 per phone or for all phones in the family plan? Also, do I have to pay for a data package for each phone on a family plan or is it $30.00 for all phones? If this is per phone, that is mega expensive and there would be no way we could pay that even if we split the bill.

Is there a reason you just absolutely refuse to go to or call Verizon to ask them these questions? It used to be with a family share plan each additional line was $9.99. I think that changed to $19.99 or something since then though. You need to pay for a data plan for each line that has a smart phone.