What is SOOO great about it?

Windows XP was built on Windows 2000, what's more is that XP really only adds graphical improvements over 2000. OK, I may be exaggerating this, but XP isn't a giant leap forward from 2000. So I fail to see how "2K was easy to beat".

Well, it is just my opinion, you don't have to agree or understand it. :p

I wish people would never have leaked any builds or info about Longhorn, just to save us from all these morons.

agreed. :yes:

i'm quite tired of seeing people take it by its face value.

I hope Microsoft get up on their feet once again and try to code a decent "No need to update everyday due to security holes" Operating system.

Peace.

how often do windows security updates come out? every day is an exaggeration. every week might not be... :hmmm: but every day is rediculous... look at this site and see how many updates for windows there actually are:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/....asp?frame=true

in 2002, there were 72 updates. so far in 2003, there have been only 39, and it's only september. after september of 2002, there were 53 updates. i think it's obvious that microsoft is improving their "buggy code" despite what people say because of the blaster worm...

M2X-Admin's got a good point here. An Operating System should not be focused on Graphics and Useless Features, but rather on the Interface and the Stability.

EDIT: Typo (god instead of good) :p

There are 55k people working on Windows, so I don't think that's their area of focus. It's just the first area every assclown focuses on because it's the most obvious... because it looks different.

Okay all of you are not getting the point. I know its still alpha and crap, but listen to what I'm saying, I'm just wondering what is ganna be soooo great about it when it comes out, and what the hype is about. SO far all i've heard from Microsoft is that it's going to be more user friendly and supossably have a little faster GUI (based on Windows 2000) I hear it MIGHT have such feature integrated such as Microsoft Plus and Office programs, but all of this is pretty much useless. I don't want your opinnion of it is going to serve a point or not, I just want to know WHY is everyone so crazzed about it? It looks different, may have some new features (that in my opinion are pointless), and have a faster GUI. Okay, it doesn't sound much differnt that XP, except for a faster GUI, and thats only a rumor that it will be faster. SO I AM JUST ASKING WHY YOU WANT IT SO BAD! I DONT WANT YOUR OPINION IF IM AN IDIOT OR NOT FOR THINKING MICROSOFT SUCKS, BUT THANKS ANYWAY!!!!!!!! :angry:

Oh and for all you little babies out there, this has NOTHING to do with the ALPHA client. I AM PURLY JUST BASING MY OPINION ON MICROSOFTS REVIEWS AND WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING!!! SO GET THAT ALPHA CRAP OUTA YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Oh and for all you little babies out there, this has NOTHING to do with the ALPHA client. I AM PURLY JUST BASING MY OPINION ON MICROSOFTS REVIEWS AND WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING!!! SO GET THAT ALPHA CRAP OUTA YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Calm down man....

Everyone quick there goes the Noid!!! :laugh: :laugh:

post-83-1063744246.jpg

it will have WinFS, microsoft's first database-driven file system. the speed increase just because of this alone will be quite drastic.

when you search for a file it'll appear basically instantly.

it will have a (this is not the proper term, but it works) graphics card powered desktop. that is, things you see will be rendered on the graphics card itself, far lowering the load on the CPU and making everything graphical much much faster, especially things like zooming and things like onscreen font antialiasing.

it will be much more interconnected with other computers and portable devices. part of this is with WinFS but i do not know the details of that yet. there will be more things built in, especially office-like features that work very tightly with the OS and portable devices. for example, there will be many things for the sidebar like a calendar showing your appointments for the week, a file bin to collect files in a temporary spot, WMP controls, messenger functions.

when you connect your laptop to the network, for example, it'll sync up files and photos and stuff. portable devices, as i said above.

i think office 12 will have integration with messenger and a lot of parts of longhorn.

much of the underlying code will be redone, i'm sure.

those are some of the more interesting things i can think of right now.

There is a WHOLE THREAD that is full of reasons why it will be "soooooo great!" If you actually would read people's responses you would have picked up on them by now. It still seems you're stuck on the "look and feel" side of Longhorn, which at the moment no one really knows a whole lot about.

it will have WinFS, microsoft's first database-driven file system. the speed increase just because of this alone will be quite drastic.

when you search for a file it'll appear basically instantly.

it will have a (this is not the proper term, but it works) graphics card powered desktop. that is, things you see will be rendered on the graphics card itself, far lowering the load on the CPU and making everything graphical much much faster, especially things like zooming and things like onscreen font antialiasing.

it will be much more interconnected with other computers and portable devices. part of this is with WinFS but i do not know the details of that yet. there will be more things built in, especially office-like features that work very tightly with the OS and portable devices. for example, there will be many things for the sidebar like a calendar showing your appointments for the week, a file bin to collect files in a temporary spot, WMP controls, messenger functions.

when you connect your laptop to the network, for example, it'll sync up files and photos and stuff. portable devices, as i said above.

i think office 12 will have integration with messenger and a lot of parts of longhorn.

much of the underlying code will be redone, i'm sure.

those are some of the more interesting things i can think of right now.

when LH comes out and all the things that u mentioned above will be all just a dream... for the the prefect OS that will nerver leave M$ facilities...

for someone who is one of those poeple who can't wair for it, tell me why, why do u think it is soo great.

why do you think it is so bad?

you have no idea what you're even talking about. that isn't even an alpha build. its pre-alpha. its like seeing a wireframe model of a character in doom3 and being like WTF..... ITS WIRE! DOOM3 WILL SUCK!

you ma'am, are as newbie as newb can be.

i know for a fact that you will have longhorn installed after it goes gold, so shut up.

when LH comes out and all the things that u mentioned above will be all just a dream... for the the prefect OS that will nerver leave M$ facilities...

You asshat! Most of these things are already in a usable state, just buggy, which you'd expect on an alpha system!