Is it worth upgrading from vista to windows 7?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Vista!

*facepalm*

Really, give me a list of reasons as to why Vista is a bad OS today, after 4 years and 2 service packs.

I will never dispute that 7 is a better OS overall, but to claim Vista is a bad OS today is asinine.

personally... if you got to pay any larger sum of money to go from Vista to 7 it's not worth it overall if you ask me since the difference between Vista to 7 is fairly minimal overall.

i used Vista and am currently on Win 7 and i do like Win 7 overall better than Vista but i got my Win 7 for free. if i had to pay a decent chunk of change to go from Windows Vista to 7 i would not do it since going from Vista to 7 is not as big of a upgrade as it is from XP to 7.

so to sum it up... i would just stay with Vista as that's not as bad as people make it out to be especially nowadays as i used Vista once SP1 was out for it and had zero issues.

so i guess it boils down to if you got some money to burn. if you do and don't care, then yeah i would upgrade otherwise not since i can't seem to justify a $100-ish price tag going from Vista to 7 when the difference is overall minimal.

p.s. as for the whole crashing of the OP's PC... most likely some software glitches or possibly hardware issues as was already said so windows 7 most likely won't fix that.

Vista seems ok now but it took them two service packs just to get it usable, pretty sad I think, constant disk thrashing, insanely high memory usage for no legit reason, slow file transfer rates, random BSODs and misc lockups etc etc... yes I remember them well.

Hey, just wanted to chime into this discussion. One point that's not been brought up is the support lifecycle. I see the original poster is running Windows Vista Home Premium, which lacks Extended Support. Meaning, after ~Summer 2012, Vista Home(s), and Ultimate will no longer be supported with updates. Granted, I'm not sure how this'll work, considering how trivial the differences between Home and Business/Enterprise are (they're the editions that are supported through 2017). Hopefully, Windows 8 should be released by the time Vista Home(s) are dissupported.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so for those interested; I have now successfully made the switch from vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit. I can honestly say it is amazing and so much better experiencing it first hand. Not only is the interface nicer but things are so much quicker and smoother. However; my main problem still persists whereby the pc is still freezing! Major blow. Obviously hardware related then but a little over my head. I have tried disconnecting each harddrive inside the machine simultaneously but still freezes. Ram passed memtest with problems. I have now unplugged a TP-link wireless pci adapter and it hasn't froze yet. Coincidence? Surely the wireless card couldn't be causing it to freeze?? I'm stumped.

Ok so I have been trying for the past 5 hours to crash the computer and no joy. I have tried everything that usually crashes it. But not this time. So it looks like it could have been that. Although I have a feeling it wasn't the problem. I guess only the next couple of days usage will tell.

Ok so I have been trying for the past 5 hours to crash the computer and no joy. I have tried everything that usually crashes it. But not this time. So it looks like it could have been that. Although I have a feeling it wasn't the problem. I guess only the next couple of days usage will tell.

you havn;t tried hard enough

Hold "windows key Logo" + E for 60 Seconds plus ( do not let it go)

and tell me you didn't lock/crash your pc.

and if you said u got away with it you lied.

Edit

I thought u meant u never crashed win7

Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to happen? On an up to date installation of 7 it fires off one file browser window as expected, no matter how long its held down. If you're trying to do a process bomb there's a bunch of easier ways to do it, one command can do it on any OS.

Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to happen? On an up to date installation of 7 it fires off one file browser window as expected, no matter how long its held down. If you're trying to do a process bomb there's a bunch of easier ways to do it, one command can do it on any OS.

last I checked. Holding the key open Multiply Explore windows to the point the system hard locks.

unless they change it to only one Explore window no mater how long the keys press it should still be there.

give me a sec well I attempt to lock up my up to date win7 x64 sp1 system

ah witch patch fix that one. (I have my windows logo key disabled Via Registry) nothing like accidentally hitting that key to bring up the start menu well you in a full screen app to have it only alt-tab u out.)

any ways I rapidly pressed Windows Logo + e to simulate holding it.. ya I over load the explore.exe process.. causes a Hard lock on the system.

yes I went out of my way to lock up my own system

nether the less on my main gaming rig, Windows Logo key disabled by default

-----------

I'm a jerk with people that still use Windows Xp, with out them knowing I would over load the process, then state there windows Xp installation is unstable and that they should format, and install windows 7.

ah witch patch fix that one. (I have my windows logo key disabled Via Registry) nothing like accidentally hitting that key to bring up the start menu well you in a full screen app to have it only alt-tab u out.)

Ahh that I can understand, got a switch on my keyboard to disable that on the fly.. use it too much when I'm not gaming for the various shortcuts. (Window positioning, superbar launching, etc) I figured it was something like that, launching so many it'll smash the system.. I was guessing it was an old XP bug or something. Sucks when it happens though, did it a few weeks back on a Bash script on one of my BSD test systems that didn't have any limits set, trolled myself with an unintentional fork bomb. Oops.

I['ve been running Vista for some time now and I've used Win7 and to be honest I don't see a need to upgrade. Your freezing problem could be just a bunch of junk, virus or hardware problem that Win7 cannot fix anyway. Or if you do upgrade you may run into the same problem. I would wait until 8 comes out.

Are you kidding me, what kind of question is that.. thats like asking if updating from win 95 to xp was a good thing!

Edit

I thought u meant u never crashed win7

Why what does that do? By trying to crash / freeze the system I meant by doing what I usually do I.e. General usage. How often do I hold win logo + e during use? Never...

Why what does that do? By trying to crash / freeze the system I meant by doing what I usually do I.e. General usage. How often do I hold win logo + e during use? Never...

back in the day holding Windows Logo + E use to open explore.exe if you held it it would try to multi load exlpore.exe If you held it to long, it would hard lock windows as it over load explore.exe process

in windows 7 there as a patch to fix it load multi explores. and load only 1 no mater how long u held the buttons

The specs are enough to run Windows 7, but if Windows 8 sticks to it's release date of autumn 2012 then it may be worth waiting. That would be my view at least, the problems with Vista can be sorted to get you through the next year.

I would also just hold off till Windows 8 is out.. No point paying for Windows 7 now IMO

If you already have a copy of 7 to install I would suggest doing a fresh install. If not and you are wondering about purchasing you may as well wait for 8

Although I didn't have any major problems with Windows Vista, if it's starting to annoy you then I'd put up with it or downgrade. If you have enough money to burn, then upgrade to 7, but then if you have that sort of money, you'd be better off buying new hardware!

Windows 7 is 10X better and more stable than Vista. It is one of the best OS releases MS has had. Go for it and I promise you will not look back.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that Windows 8 is going to put Win 7 to shame. It could very well have its quirks that will take a while to work out. Or it could be a flop since 7 is so rock solid.

Vista -> 7

Yes absolutely.

7 -> 8

Maybe, maybe not absolutely necessary.

I vote for getting Windows 7 now, and then when 8 is released, give it a good 2-3 months and see how the public hype is. Then you can maybe go the route of buying the upgrade installer.