Apple Phasing Out White MacBook in Favor of Entry-Level MacBook Air?

Does no one remember this from Asus?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/asus-outs-ux21-ultrathin-laptop-with-up-to-core-i7-cpu-video-ha/

before anyone cries rip, just look at the SOny x505 and say Apple didn't rip that and just remove the round hinge.

Looks like they copied Apple to me seeing as all Apples laptops have that same design.

It does look good though, only problem is it has Windows and not *nix ;)

Also the apple trackpad is just x10 better than any other trackpad I've used, sometime I rather use it instead of a mouse.

The Apple Trackpad isn't that good, sensitivity can't be adjusted. You can click and drag up well, but down doesn't work nearly as well. If you enable tap to drag, it engages sometimes when you don't want it to, and sometimes doesn't engage when you want it to. That'd be avoidable if you actually physically clicked and then tried to drag down, it wouldn't recognise it as a multitouch gesture. (Incidentally, that's only a problem in OSX, works fine in Windows).

The Apple Trackpad isn't that good, sensitivity can't be adjusted. You can click and drag up well, but down doesn't work nearly as well. If you enable tap to drag, it engages sometimes when you don't want it to, and sometimes doesn't engage when you want it to. That'd be avoidable if you actually physically clicked and then tried to drag down, it wouldn't recognise it as a multitouch gesture. (Incidentally, that's only a problem in OSX, works fine in Windows).

The latter I noticed as well. About the rest you're talking about like with tab and drag; it's a matter of a bit of practice. None of it I experience anymore on a daily basis. Despite these few imperfections (not a single product is 100% perfect) The Magic Trackpad and gestures on Mac OS X are still heaps and bounds better than anything I used with PC hardware on Windows.

Personally I absolutely hated trackpads until I started using them on the Mac.

Oh joy last years hardware and next year's prices gotta love apple....

Double post mod please fix

Ordered my new 11.6'' Air to replace my original unibody MacBook from 2008. I wanted the new Air model for awhile, but figured I'd wait, as I knew something align to what was released today (backlit keyboard, faster processor, etc.) would come eventually.

I do think the Air is a good entry level notebook and a good notebook in general. I just think the base model should be a bit cheaper, as I stated earlier. And it's still weird to me that even the 11'' Air has a better resolution than the 13'' "Pro."

These processors were released this year and not too long ago at that.

No, I just know math. The MacBook Pro has 1 (one) battery, and 1 (one) LCD that the Mini does not have. That means the MacBook has 2 (two) parts the Mini does not. Following me? Ok Here is where things get totally crazy. The Mini has 1 (one) GPU the MacBook does not have. So if we subtract 1 (one) from 2 (two) we find that the MacBook has only 1 (one) more part than the Mini.

You are telling me that the cost of a 1280x800 LCD (about $95 on the market, so I assume Apple gets them cheaper), and the price of the battery (again about $95 for the public, Apple probably pays less), is why the MacBookPro costs $400 more even though it doesn't have a dedicated GPU? Apple charges $200 for the mini to upgrade CPU, GPU, and RAM. So I know that GPU is probably like 75 at most.

So even if we assume the GPU would cost the same (it doesn't) as the battery, you are telling me Apple charges $400 more for a $95 LCD?

Have none of you guys seen this from Asus? I mean, this is a computer site....

http://www.bing.com/...t=0&FORM=IDFRIR

Does no one remember this from Asus?

http://www.engadget....7-cpu-video-ha/

that's a nice laptop, but that entired bolded part you pulled out of your ass. how do you know that ish costs that much? and that's the dumbest way to say how two different products have only one more part then the other.

He posted what it costs at most to Apple, and he's right. In fact it's likely a lot lower. There's some serious price gouging going on with the 13" MBP. There's nothing Pro about it, it's misnamed, Apple's pricing it according to its name, not its features.

He posted what it costs at most to Apple, and he's right. In fact it's likely a lot lower. There's some serious price gouging going on with the 13" MBP. There's nothing Pro about it, it's misnamed, Apple's pricing it according to its name, not its features.

no he's not. he has no idea what the actual costs are. he is just guessing. and what makes it a pro over the original macbook was the aluminum, sd card reader, and backlit keyboard. those were the main things. you paid extra for that. so yeah, it was named according to it's features. whether you agree that it's worth the cost is another story, but it's according to it's features.

Not really a guess. I googled the price of those parts, and those are the prices if I wanted to order one online today. There is no way that Apple is paying the same amount. I'd be surprised if Apple is really paying 3/4 that price for how much they save on bulk orders.

Yes, all a professional needs is an SD card reader and a back lit keyboard. *rolls eyes* Do professionals not need good GPU performance? If so then why are they giving them a GPU that is only on par with a card that was launched about 2 years ago? Heck $500 netbooks have a card reader, and sub $999 laptops have a backlit keyboard option. There is nothing 'pro' about the 13in MBP.

A Dell 13in Vostro with:

1366x768

i5 (same i5)

500GB HDD (more than the 13in Pro)

6GB RAM (more than 13in Pro)

AMD 6470 (faster than integrated GPU)

3yr on-site warranty (2 more than Apple, they don't even offer on-site)

fingerprint reader

backlit keyboard

$1,079

Tell me again, what is 'pro' about the 13in MBP?

Tell me again, what is 'pro' about the 13in MBP?

because of the things it had over the original white macbook? like i already mentioned above? disagree all you like, but that's the difference. im not saying i disagree that it may not be worth the money, but that is why, and why i hate that apple killed the macbook but i didn't really care for those things either.

also i googled for the LED monitor, never found it for the price you mentioned anywhere. also in your assessment you forgot the glass trackpad ;)

Do professionals not need good GPU performance?

In a laptop? Probably not, no. Apple doesn't play the "Spec Wars" game, if it works for the user, it works. Doesn't much matter if it's integrated CPU or discrete any more, and they're going to continue on that track until their tablets and computers converge.

Would I prefer my MBP had a better GPU? For games, yes. For work, no. Would it add any perceived value to the computer? Nope.

Wow, sheep like you are why Apple gets away with putting out crap. Hell yes it would add perceived value to the computer.

a better gpu, yeah it would. but at the same time, people don't need it and sometimes a better gpu would cause a dip in battery life as well. while i agree the intel GPUs are crap at best, and the biggest reason i jumped on the core 2 macbook was because of the 320m inside of it, some people (you can argue most) don't need the extra video power, if they did, they would get a higher end macbook pro or if it was for gaming, the hell you doing buying a mac laptop in the first place?

Wow, sheep like you are why Apple gets away with putting out crap. Hell yes it would add perceived value to the computer.

To who? People who know what GPU specs are. Which is what, 1% of the computer buying public? I buy a Dell, and I buy a Macbook. 3 years from now I want to sell them and get a new computer. What do you think will hold more value, a mobile GPU that's 20% better at running 3 year old games at crap specs, or a unibody aluminum case?

If you need a GPU, get a desktop. If you need to crunch numbers, get a desktop. If you're running a home server, get a desktop. If you want something you can take to class and on trips? Light weight, durable construction, and a good battery life > everything else. And this is coming from someone who knows at least something about how a computer works. The general public walks into an Apple store and sees no difference between the graphical capabilities of an iPad and a Macbook or a Mac Pro, and honestly, they shouldn't. Because if a device can do what you need it to do, what cares what the specs on it are?

It's true, benchmarks rarely reflect real world performance. You simple can't perceive faster speeds that are, at best, a few seconds greater than before.

yeah i saw that, but that's not real world performance and the SSD helps a lot. throw an SSD in your MBP and it'll be a different story.

True, it would have helped if they mentioned what the full spec of the laptops they tested were. But I still think it's pretty impressive that it has matched benchmark scores, real world or not.

I think the only thing that the Air would suffer in comparison would be the GPU. When I'm due for a laptop upgrade in a few years, it will be interesting to see what the state of the Pro laptop line is. I'm jealous of the Air's form factor but I always needed the Pros extra juice.

I think the only thing that the Air would suffer in comparison would be the GPU. When I'm due for a laptop upgrade in a few years, it will be interesting to see what the state of the Pro laptop line is. I'm jealous of the Air's form factor but I always needed the Pros extra juice.

this has always been the thing with me. while i love my laptops to be 13 inches (macbook) i do like that they have a gpu inside that can do some light modern gaming in it (320m) but that'll never happen with intel's offerings. Like you, im going to wait and see how the new Air's pan out, as that is their new level entry baby.