MTV is 30 years old today...

MTV is 30 years old.  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Birthday or R.I.P.?

• Happy Birthday! MTV is still good today.
    • R.I.P. MTV's been dead for a long time.
    • I'm indifferent.

...and as a lot of people know, this was the first music video they ever showed:

But I'm not entirely sure if it's a cause for celebration, consdering the state of MTV's programmes nowadays (I'm lookin' at you, Jersey Shore). So here's a poll. Vote away, and post your congratulations/condolences (delete as appropriate).

so far as i am concerned MTV has been dead for years, since they no longer actually play musc.

Back in the day when MTV was good, MTV2 came out with some awesome music but I can't remember the last time either of those channels actually showed decent music, not repeating the top 3 songs that was in the charts over and over again.

I liked MTV pretty much up until about, say 2004...

I have fond memories of them playing Bon Jovi, REM, GnR, Aerosmith, Smashing Pumpkins and so on. Ray Cokes in the evening, Davina McCall being all sultry at night, Beavis & Butthead, the Braun Euro Countdown...

Now it's STAGED reality shows, all the time. And movies... What gives :(

I was watching when it went live. At the time I lived not more than 3 blocks away from my Dad who'd just split with my mom, but surprisingly enough had some of the first cable TV in that area - so I went over there. I continued to go over there every day for months just to finally get a look at my favorite bands actually performing their tunes.

Back then if you didn't see a band in concert or on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, you never got to see them playing "live".

Happy B-Day MTV, I weep at what you've become :(

Good times, good times. MTV Club, Party Zone, Headbangers Ball, not to mention Beavis & Butthead....

mtv died in the early 90's

Go on, I will bite...

Do you mean that it moved away from your taste in music or what?

I personally say it died in the early/mid 2000s as it stopped playing MUSIC, and when they did, their rotation was really short.

I personally started losing interest in the late 90's and in the early 2000's sealed the deal. It's sad I grew up on MTV as it came out almost 2 months after I was born and I started watching it as an infant as I've always been a music fan even when that young. I loved watching the bands perform videos.

Now it?s just garbage... I personally think Jersey Shore is ridiculous and rather disgusting. I did like the old Real World and Road Rules for the first several seasons but things seemed to get out of control and just scripted looking and purposely designed for the best "reality" (cough ? scripted ? cough) conflict. It quickly went from a music channel to a NONreality channel and the name should be changed to TTV aka Trash TeleVision.

MTV I care nothing for it because it's garbage now. Bring back the music instead of lame reality shows like Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom etc...You know they're not poor they just get paid to act like they are even though they get paid for being on the show.....Petition for Beavis and Butthead, The Head, The Maxx again anyone?

Go on, I will bite...

Do you mean that it moved away from your taste in music or what?

I personally say it died in the early/mid 2000s as it stopped playing MUSIC, and when they did, their rotation was really short.

nah the music didn't bother me. it was shows like real world & road rules that made me stop watching it