Advice for my first DSLR

So I'm planning on buying my first DSLR. Currently the only one that fits my budget is the Nikon D3100 which I'm getting for around $680. When speaking to a friend he advised me on getting one with at least 4 CMOS sensor points. From what I've read the D3100 has only one. Does this make a huge different? I know this is a bit far fetched, but are there any other DSLRs in that range which has about 4 CMOS sensor points?

Not entirely sure what your friend is on about, but you shouldn't worry about it. The 3100 is a great starter camera that you build on later.

The only thing else he could be referring to is the 3x or 4x sensors that where written about a few years ago. Where the color filters are behind each other instead of next to each other giving you clearer pictures a lower res. However as I recall none of the big companies picked up onthesesensor types for the dslr camera because of other problems with them.

The x3 or whatever it was was also a single CMOS sensor, but arranged on top of each other to each su pixel in a pixel was iin the same spot, instead of next to each other like they are on most normal ones.

Your friend may have meant a 3 CCD camera, which, as far as I know, doesn't exist in mainstream SLR's, but only in video (film) cameras. I almost went with a 3100, but instead went with the 5000. It's an older, but higher end model, that I was able to get for the same price. I'd consider doing that as it might get your a better camera.

Thanks for all your info and advice guys!

@greenwizars88

Thanks for the suggestion. So far I haven't seen the D5000 at shops here (not even at the local dealer for Nikon). I'll look around a bit more though to see if i could find it at another shop and get hands on use with it