LYTRO picture revolution

The camera that turns light into living pictures

This year, Lytro will debut the first light field camera for everyone. OK ? you?re not everyone. You are a beautiful, unique snowflake. And you deserve an amazing camera that lets you capture life?s singular moments, like baby?s first steps not second, with maximum magic and minimum hassle. No more fighting with dials and settings and modes. No more flat, boring, static photographs. With a Lytro, you unleash the light.

No fuss focus.

Click away. Shoot first, focus after. That's right, after. You can't miss.

The Science Inside

The team at Lytro is completing the job of a century?s worth of theory and exploration about light fields. Lytro?s engineers and scientists have taken light fields out of the lab ? miniaturizing a roomful of cameras tethered to a supercomputer and making it fit in your pocket.

si01.png

Light Field Defined

What is the light field?

The light field is a core concept in imaging science, representing fundamentally more powerful data than in regular photographs. The light field fully defines how a scene appears. It is the amount of light traveling in every direction through every point in space ? it?s all the light rays in a scene. Conventional cameras cannot record the light field.

si02.png

Light Field Capture

How does a light field camera capture the light rays?

Recording light fields requires an innovative, entirely new kind of sensor called a light field sensor. The light field sensor captures the color, intensity and vector direction of the rays of light. This directional information is completely lost with traditional camera sensors, which simply add up all the light rays and record them as a single amount of light.

Light Field Processing

How do light field cameras make use of the additional information?

By substituting powerful software for many of the internal parts of regular cameras, light field processing introduces new capabilities that were never before possible. Sophisticated algorithms use the full light field to unleash new ways to make and view pictures.

Relying on software rather than components can improve performance, from increased speed of picture taking to the potential for capturing better pictures in low light. It also creates new opportunities to innovate on camera lenses, controls and design.

si03.png

Picture Capabilities

How are light field pictures different?

The way we communicate visually is evolving rapidly, and people?s expectations are changing in lockstep. Light field cameras offer astonishing capabilities. They allow both the picture taker and the viewer to focus pictures after they?re snapped, shift their perspective of the scene, and even switch seamlessly between 2D and 3D views. With these amazing capabilities, pictures become immersive, interactive visual stories that were never before possible ? they become living pictures.

si04.png

Make sure to check out the picture gallery!

Seems pretty cool and 'Shoot first, focus after. That's right, after. You can't miss.' seems like a powerful line, I guess as the above poster said how much $$ though

As for the price, the only information available to us is from this interview :

It hopes to have a point-and-shoot model on sale later this year. The device will be ?reasonably priced,? but Lytro didn?t offer further details.

?It will be a competitively priced consumer product that fits in your pocket,? Ng said.

As it sounds, I don't think it'll cost more than $2,500 which is good news!

And here's another fun bit of info from the same interview:

Lytro?s camera works by positioning an array of tiny lenses between the main lens and the image sensor, with the microlenses measuring both the total amount of light coming in as well as its direction.

The technology also allows photos to be taken in very low-light conditions without a flash

with-and-without-flash.jpg

On a serious note. Low-light and flash are completely two different things. Low-light means insufficient amount of ambient light and flash is not ambient light.

On a serious note. Low-light and flash are completely two different things. Low-light means insufficient amount of ambient light and flash is not ambient light.

I guess, instead, they could've said it can shoot with, i don't know, 0.002 lux, but I don't think many readers would understand it. So they have to use simple terms to describe camera's capabilities to the future buyers. Low light performance without a flash sounds about right, because anyone with some experience shooting in low light would know how horrible the picture may look. Either the flash fires and the background is blacked out or it just becomes invisible or out of focus without the flash.

Anyhow, the greatest concern at the moment is censor's size and the megapixels! Some critics are concerned that since it's some kind of a new censor, early models will have low pixel count due to high costs jeopardizing the quality. And that would make the camera's pix suitable only for Facebook and people shouldn't expect print-quality resolution...This is all just a speculation, of course, till the specs are released.

• 3 months later...

There have been some developments recently: the website has been update with more info, there are now pictures of the actual camera there, and the prices for pre order are now out! It's $500 for the top-end version with 16Gb capable of storing upto 750 pix.

https://www.lytro.com/

I'm curious to see how the quality is on these pictures. Point-and-shoot pictures are almost always grainy at the high resolutions, so I'd like to see how it compares.

Edit: Just realized they have a gallery on their website: http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/1690

Does anybody else think those pictures are horrendous quality? Looks worse than an old camera phone.

Granted it's cool that pictures can be refocused, but what's the point if the quality is crap no matter what?

Ohh an update in a thread I thought long forgotten and a welcome one too, it looks a lot like those old flashlights they had in cinemas many years ago LOL

Its an odd looking device, but I hope the technology catches on, even if not for the public consumption but maybe expensive photography enthusiast. If the quality is good enough that is.

I'm curious to see how the quality is on these pictures. Point-and-shoot pictures are almost always grainy at the high resolutions, so I'd like to see how it compares.

Edit: Just realized they have a gallery on their website: http://www.lytro.com...g-pictures/1690

Does anybody else think those pictures are horrendous quality? Looks worse than an old camera phone.

Granted it's cool that pictures can be refocused, but what's the point if the quality is crap no matter what?

Yea, the images look like crap. But so did images from Canon 100D and Nikon D1. You gotta start somewhere, I guess.

Might consider this to play around or shoot some stuff for scenes where I don't want to take numerous pictures for multiple possible focus points.

A narrower aperture also means less light sensitivity and of cause you lose the DOF for good...

Quite interesting, but nothing more than a bonus feature for a better camera.

Bring it to DSLRs and we get talking... This + RAW = Sweet!

Maybe incorporate it into smartphones, cause, you know, people start using these WAY more.

Heh, DSLR ftw... :p

Glassed Silver:mac

This could be good tech for super close macros where the work flow involves taking 30 photos to get the entire object in focus.

I hadn't thought about this, focus stacking seems easy with this, then again I think the magnification on the lens is not that good.