CDC says Male circumcision rates at hospitals dip

(Reuters) - The number of baby boys getting circumcised in hospitals has dropped slightly in the past decade, health experts said on Thursday.

Researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed data from three national surveys to track changes in hospital rates of circumcision, which involves removing the foreskin of the penis.

In one survey, newborn male circumcision rates fell to 56.9 percent in 2008 from 62.9 percent in 1999. In another, rates of circumcision fell to 54.7 percent in 2010 from 58.4 percent in 2001. In a third, rates fell to 56.3 percent in 2008 from 63.5 percent in 1999.

The CDC said the figures likely underestimated the actual rate of circumcisions because they did not include circumcisions performed within communities.

Circumcision is a ritual obligation for infant Jewish boys, and is also a common rite among Muslims, who account for the largest share of circumcised men worldwide.

The wider U.S. population adopted the practice due to potential health benefits, but those advantages have become the subject of debate, including a recent effort to ban circumcision in San Francisco.

CDC researchers noted three recent studies that have shown that male circumcision decreases transmission of the HIV virus that causes AIDS.

Male circumcision has also been shown to cut the risk of herpes, human papillomavirus or HPV infections and genital ulcer disease in men, and also HPV infection, trichomoniasis, and bacterial vaginosis and genital ulcer disease in their female partners.

more

A circumcised guy pays in exact change for a delicious meal, and the waiter turns around to him and asks "what, no tip?"

A circumcised guy pays in exact change for a delicious meal, and the waiter turns around to him and asks "what, no tip?"

I tipped nearly 50% one time. Normally 20%-25%

Let people choose for themselves when their old enough if they want an important part of their privates removed.

I'm pretty sure when you are 18 or something, getting foreskin removed would be a much more painful and memorable (ouchie) experience than when you are a few weeks old or whatever. At least, that's what I would think....:|

I hope people aren't actually believing those clowns that claim that circumcision is traumatizing and has no benefits, which goes directly against professionally done scientific studies over the course of decades. *sigh*

I hope people aren't actually believing those clowns that claim that circumcision is traumatizing and has no benefits, which goes directly against professionally done scientific studies over the course of decades. *sigh*

Strange how European countries that don't do this aren't flooded with all these diseases circumcision supposedly prevent, diseases America have a higher percentage of...

Causation not proved.

And the same "scientific" studies have been completely debunked or fall well within reasonable margin of error.

Most of them have been performed in third world countries where hygiene is abysmal and people still believe taking a shower prevents you from getting aids. Would you really, honestly believe any studies from coming from countries like that?

Like Hawkman said, it's amazing that we don't seem to run into any of the issues that it's supposed to prevent and practically no one here brutally circumcises their children. I think the whole operation is revolting and archaic, something that should be banned by law.

Wow that number is surprisingly high. Here I believe it is less than 25%.

I also see no point in circumcision. Guys are born with a foreskin and, as others have mentioned, countries with low rates are not flooded with disease - so may as well keep it

funny joke. but while it may sound cruel to babies, in the long run i believe circumcision is beneficial to health - especially public health.

In regard to the penis being clean, it is not hard to keep a penis clean when one has a foreskin, so routine infant circumcision provides no health benefit in terms of cleanliness. In regard to HIV and other diseases, billions of people who were not circumcised, and are not circumcised, did not and do not have these diseases. Not only that, but not having sex also helps prevent one from contracting HIV, but I imagine most people don't refrain from sex for that reason, so why would they advocate routine infant cirumcision for that reason? At least people are able to consent to not having sex; babies are not able to consent to having their foreskin needlessly removed.

I'm pretty sure when you are 18 or something, getting foreskin removed would be a much more painful and memorable (ouchie) experience than when you are a few weeks old or whatever. At least, that's what I would think....:|

It apparently is more painful, but babies are not able to consent to a routine infant circumcision; therefore, it is wrong to force them into it, as they may grow up wishing they'd been kept intact.

It apparently is more painful, but babies are not able to consent to a routine infant circumcision; therefore, it is wrong to force them into it, as they may grow up wishing they'd been kept intact.

This is my stance.

You shouldn't take away part of the body of your kids without their consent, or at least their own opinion.