Two huge black holes spotted "close" to Earth

(CBS News) It's an amazing shot to behold: For the first time scientists have imaged a pair of black holes found in a spiral galaxy very much like our own Milky Way. Equally important, this also constitutes the nearest known pair of supermassive black holes to Earth identified to date.

The discovery was made in a spiral galaxy codenamed NGC 3393, which is an estimated 160 million light years away from Earth. The pair are believed to represent the remains of what astronomers described as a merger between two galaxies of unequal mass more than a billion years ago. Even more intriguing is that each is estimated to have a mass of at least one million times that of our Sun. The discovery was made by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory.

supermassivehole_620x350.jpg

source

That is one hell of a stunning shot

I just wish it all ends soon.

I am sick and tired of this world.

2012 anyone?

Some people might say that you are overly negative, but I agree with you, specially considering the current state of our world....

Either that will wipe us or we'll wipe ourselves out.

Ill add to that.

Although it is negative to think this way.

But we really need a change of ways.

The whole human race.

And on topic.

This is gorgeous!.

I wonder.

Why nothing can surpass the speed of light.

It would be fun to visit all such places..

faster than light.

Some people might say that you are overly negative, but I agree with you, specially considering the current state of our world....

Either that will wipe us or we'll wipe ourselves out.

Is not the world, is the people, there are way too many

Ill add to that.

Although it is negative to think this way.

But we really need a change of ways.

The whole human race.

And on topic.

This is gorgeous!.

I wonder.

Why nothing can surpass the speed of light.

It would be fun to visit all such places..

faster than light.

I'm sure that with your skills in Photoshop, you can make something better. laugh.gif

thats the thing.

Making imaginary celestrial scenes or watching these hubble photos ......

its nothing compared to the actual scene.

I do plan to go to the Moon in my lifetime.

I would love to look back at my planet once in orbit around moon.

I dont find anything more beautiful than these heavenly bodies in controlled chaos!

In that case, pass me some ketchup, please.

I am a little more traditional myself. Butter and jam. :laugh:

no one is ****ed, we're not that bad, and everything's going to be fine.

also, Hum is misleading us :whistle: there are much closer black holes, as for supermassive ones, there's one holding our own galaxy together and it means us no harm. nothing to worry about.

The Black Holes are still there. A super-massive BH isn't going to dissipate in 160 Million years, that's for sure. From my College days when I was studying Astrophysics, a BH of +/- 1 Million Suns or greater would take several Hundred Million if not Billion years to dissipate if no matter was in falling on it. Not to mention, if the Universe is Open, and expands forever, Black Holes will outlast almost everything else in the Universe save for Photons and what not.

Also, the Planet is fine like others have said. It's the people that suck ass. Our species has become so bad, that the few good stories I hear on the news or read about online don't even give me hope anymore. I really do wonder what the state of Human civilization will be like in 10 years, let alone 25 years etc. If we will even have a civilization to speak of.

also, Hum is misleading us :whistle: there are much closer black holes, as for supermassive ones, there's one holding our own galaxy together and it means us no harm. nothing to worry about.

Hey, I didn't create the black holes.

These have been around for a very long 'time', so I doubt there is much of a threat.

And we can always jump into our Time machines and escape to a safer place. ;)

Hey, I didn't create the black holes.

These have been around for a very long 'time', so I doubt there is much of a threat.

And we can always jump into our Time machines and escape to a safer place. ;)

Shh...it's all your fault and you know it.

The Black Holes are still there. A super-massive BH isn't going to dissipate in 160 Million years, that's for sure. From my College days when I was studying Astrophysics, a BH of +/- 1 Million Suns or greater would take several Hundred Million if not Billion years to dissipate if no matter was in falling on it. Not to mention, if the Universe is Open, and expands forever, Black Holes will outlast almost everything else in the Universe save for Photons and what not.

how does a black hole "dissipate" what happens to singularity?

we're toast

It's true! lol - If some passing asteroid yet undiscovered doesn't smash into us and cause unspeakable destruction, we're guaranteed to be toast by the nature of our dying, expanding, red-giant sun.

Why bother ya know? Let's just free beer and free concert admission for everyone until it all ends?

exactly..

In 4 to 5 billion years that is??

the time our Sun will turn into a Red giant and ... well..

burn us to death.

I always imagined why wouldnt the red giant transformation push our orbit further away from it?

Also i dont understand. There are so many starts.. Rogue starts.. flying away at very big speeds..

they can come at our way and disrupt the entire Solar System and ruin our race. :p

Singularity is nonsense.

The energy sucked in is transfered to another System, dimension in the Universe -- or another Universe, as you prefer. ;)

These 'holes' are Energy conduits.

There are also 'green' holes and blue, as yet unrecognized by your present Science.

It's kinda complicated to answer, but to put it simply if a Black Hole takes in less matter (or no matter) while continuing to emit radiation in certain spectrum, it'll eventually shrink then disappear. What happens to the singularity though, it literally ceases to exist pretty much. Or moves into another dimension. Or, who knows lol That's getting into serious experimental physics stuff way beyond anything I ever read about or have seen anything on. We're talking about theories of what was before the Universe or Big Bang type stuff.

Anyway, if you want to read up on it, it's called Hawking Radiation (or Black Hole evaporation depending on whatever) and wikipedia has a nice article on it: Linky

It's kinda complicated to answer, but to put it simply if a Black Hole takes in less matter (or no matter) while continuing to emit radiation in certain spectrum, it'll eventually shrink then disappear. What happens to the singularity though, it literally ceases to exist pretty much. Or moves into another dimension. Or, who knows lol That's getting into serious experimental physics stuff way beyond anything I ever read about or have seen anything on. We're talking about theories of what was before the Universe or Big Bang type stuff.

Anyway, if you want to read up on it, it's called Hawking Radiation (or Black Hole evaporation depending on whatever) and wikipedia has a nice article on it: Linky

Thanks! (Y)

while reading up...noticed this...

entropy of a black hole is proportional to its surface area:
- wiki

shouldn't it be the volume of the black hole / event horizon and not the surface area ?

Thanks! (Y)

while reading up...noticed this...

- wiki

shouldn't it be the volume of the black hole / event horizon and not the surface area ?

A super massive Black Hole volume wise would be less than (probably way less than) water is. It has to do with the distance from the event horizon and all that crap. A stellar mass Black Hole on the other hand having a much smaller distance from the event horizon to the singularity would be much "heavier" volume wise. I won't pretend to know how to explain it properly, as the math and everything involved is way beyond me at this point. Maybe when I was in College actually learning about this stuff I might have been able to hold my own in a conversation about this stuff, but now I'm just an old stupid dude. :D