Image 1: Super saturated

Image 2: Normal

Image 3: Desaturated

Safari:

Image 1: Desaturated

Image 2: Identical

Image 3: Normal

What does this mean? :p

Means Chrome doesn't colour correct. Which also means that sRGB images viewed on a wide gamut (AdobeRGB) monitor appear oversaturated. Exactly what happens with your image. Second image appears normal because you are viewing an AdobeRGB image on an AdobeRGB monitor. The 3rd image appears desaturdated because ProPhoto colourspace is much larger than AdobeRGB, so colours are clipped when ICC is not respected by the program.

The reason why 3rd image looks different than the other two in Safari or any browser that respects ICC, is most likely because I made it very saturated. And apparently AdobeRGB, let alone sRGB, can't compute that range of colour. Normally any other 3 images would look exactly the same or with very tiny and unnoticeable differences.

I wouldn't suggest putting your monitor in sRGB as it will defeat the whole purpose of a wide gamut monitor, which is being able to display more and richer colours in right situations (ie Lightroom).

Stick to AdobeRGB and output your images in that same colour space as well. If you really need to output JPGs for people who don't have profiled monitors then convert (not assign) to sRGB. Converting however degrades colors, so stay away from it unless you really need to.

Also read this: http://www.gballard.net/psd/assignconvert.html

Right, so basically, because my monitor is wide gamut, any profile I create will be "wrong" and make stuff look washed out. What I can't figure out, is if I calibrate and create a profile using apple's build in thing, the colour is great and "normal" (presumably within the sRGB spectrum) - but this doesn't provide accuracy that my hardware calibration would.

So how can I get my Spyder3 to make a profile that's sRGB? :s