'killer phone number' fears

Nigeria's authorities have been forced to reassure the public that a mobile phone number cannot kill, after rumours were spread by text messages.

Viral text messages had warned that several people had died when they answered calls with the ID 09141. :shiftyninja:

The regulatory body, the Nigerian Communications Commission, said this was "unimaginable" and "unscrupulous persons" were spreading fear.

A BBC reporter was unable to get through to the number.

The text messages gave conflicting accounts of the number of people killed when they answered the call - some put the death toll at seven while others put it at 10.

"Technically, it is not possible for such a thing to happen. It is therefore unimaginable that somebody will die while receiving a call," commission spokesman Reuben Muoka said.

"It is only very gullible people that will believe such a rumour."

Other messages that have caused panic in the past include claims that acid rain from seasonal dust storms can burn people alive, the AP news agency reports.

Poor education and superstitious beliefs lead some Nigerians to take the messages seriously, correspondents say.

source

If they send me $10,000,000 [TEN MILLION US DOLLAR], i'll tell them how to stop it... :p

What a coincidence, I happen to be prince nigeria and need transfer exactly $10,000,000 [TEN MILLION US DOLLAR] out of country from savings account and you next inherit for only small FIVE HUNDRED US DOLLAR please correspond

I can't believe anyone would believe this story. How would a phone call kill you?

I can't believe anyone would believe this story. How would a phone call kill you?

It activates a secret code in the phone circuitry, generating massive microwave radiation ... shhh :shiftyninja:

WTF?

If everyone got stupider, the average IQ would be LOWER.

/facepalm

Having an IQ of 120, twenty years ago. Is different then that score now. The average iq will never drop to some ridiculously low number. Because it can't.

WTF?

If everyone got stupider, the average IQ would be LOWER.

/facepalm

:rolleyes:

Do you understand the concept at all? An IQ of 100 means you have average intelligence. If the average intelligence of people drops, it will STILL be defined as 100.

It is sort of like the value of a dollar. It will ALWAYS be defined as 100 cents, even if the relative value of it compared to other currency changes.

:rolleyes:

Do you understand the concept at all? An IQ of 100 means you have average intelligence. If the average intelligence of people drops, it will STILL be defined as 100.

It is sort of like the value of a dollar. It will ALWAYS be defined as 100 cents, even if the relative value of it compared to other currency changes.

wrong... im sorry that isn't how IQ works i was just writing a big explanation on why you are wrong... but i can not be bothered I can tell I would be wasting my time :/

wrong... im sorry that isn't how IQ works i was just writing a big explanation on why you are wrong... but i can not be bothered I can tell I would be wasting my time :/

Actually, it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

When modern IQ tests are constructed, the median score is set to 100 and a standard deviation to 15.

In simpler terms, an IQ score of 100 is defined as "average intelligence". If the average intelligence of people was to go up or down, then IQ tests would have to be adjusted so that 100 was equal to the new average.

You might want to read up on the Flynn Effect.

When intelligence quotient (IQ) tests are initially standardized using a sample of test-takers, by convention the average of the test results is set to 100 and their standard deviation is set to 15 IQ points. When IQ tests are revised they are again standardized using a new sample of test-takers, usually born more recently than the first. Again, the average result is set to 100.