Sensation XE Storage question 4GB with only 1GB available

HTC announced the Sensation XE this week with upgraded storage and battery. I'm thinking of getting it when it comes out.

On the specs page: HTC Sensation XE it states:

Storage

Total storage: 4 GB

Available storage: up to 1 GB

RAM: 768 MB

Why is only 1GB Available Storage? I know Sense UI takes up a lot of space, but not 3GB!

I have a HTC Desire and am constantly struggling with insufficient storage issues. Apart from that I love the phone. I'd hate to have this phone and be restricted by the internal storage. The storage has only gone up from 150MB (Desire) to 1GB (Sensation XE).

Any ideas?

A lot of space is reserved for contacts, apps, settings, etc.. I think.

My 16GB SGS2 had 11.50GB of "USB Storage" space (free to use) and 2GB of "Device memory" space (not free). The rest is used for the OS etc.

It has 1gb of storage for apps, the rest is for pictures,movies, music etc. As to why Android is that way, not sure anymore, just the way it is.

It won't be changed as it is as intended, some of the 4gb is dedicated to 'hibernation files' for faster boot, the system partition is 823MB, data actually 1.23GB rather than the advertised 1, the other storage is taken up by cache partitions etc.

With that said I struggle to fill more than half of the available user storage, that is with several large games and other applications so I shouldn't be concerned, I'm yet to see other users come accross storage problems like back on the desire :)