like i said, for all its flaws the game deserves the love. it's great and very well made in terms of gameplay. the technical side...not so much. PC users are basically forced to play the 360/PS3 version to make sure it runs, if you want to up that you need to mess with the configuration and hope for the best. otherwise, it is a very good game. the authority rifle is one of my favorite guns IN GAMING. EVER.

Fired it up and played for 30 mins last night.

I must say that its pretty crazy that this long after release the game is apparently not playable with any 4*** and 5*** series cards still even with the patch and ATI's preview drivers.

I got the game working nicely after searching and creating a custom .cfg file and all is running smoothly but I feel for people that don't know how to do any of that stuff and just wanna play the game they brought.

The game seems quite fun, shooting feels solid, I like how they've tried to make the bandits deaths seem more realistic when you shoot them but most of the time it kinda looks like theres a split second delay and then they'll just jump on the ground like a comedy actor pretending to be shot? Anyone else bothered by this.

I found the gfx are quite nice, the performance is certainly really awesome once I got rid of the many issues.

Getting a constant 60fps and above at 1440x900 with 4x AA and 16x AF with V-Sync on "smart" (which I can only assume dynamically turns v-sync off if it needs to) running a 512mb 4850 which is pretty amazing really.

The canyons look great, the characters look great, everything else looks anywhere in between great and absolute ****. It would have been nice to see some higher graphics setttings that I could trade off for say 45fps etc.

It almost feels nice to be playing a game with that classic id plastic look :p It's been a while....

It's funny how they spend years and years working on an engine but they never seem to really be picked up by anyone. How many (non id) games ended up using the doom 3 engine? I can only think of Prey and Wolfenstine.

I was really hoping Yahtzee would review this for Zero Punctuation this week :( :( :(. Maybe next week.

Same here, I was looking forward to it, but if you noticed, there was a moment he talked about other games, and the cover RAGE was shown. All of the other the game covers he showed (I believe it was Gears 3 and Dead Island) he already reviewed, so I think it is a safe bet it will be next week.

So I got to play about an hour yesterday. Did the RC car mission. That was literally one of my favorite missions in a FPS for quite some time. Not sure why, I just found it incredibly fun to play and non stop action basically. It definitely helped that I picked up the Authority Machine gun in a locked door right towards the beginning. I also tried out Sentry Bots as I purchased the engineering schematics for them. So the Authority Machine Gun combined with Sentry Bots and Exploding RC cars just made it a blast to play through.

I also did the well water mission down in the sewers. Really started using the Wingsticks or whatever they are called, and no idea why I have waited to use them until now! They really are very effective when used properly.

This is pretty much shaping up to be my favorite game so far this year from a gameplay standpoint. It truly is.

Quick question for those who are further along in the game. Does it pay off to hold items to sell at a later time in the game, or should I just go ahead and sell them in Wellsprings?

For example I have 2 boxes of Plinkies, and for whatever reason I am thinking if I hold onto them as further in the game there may be people that are willing to pay more for them, or is that just wishful thinking on my part and the value of items is more or less consistent throughout the game no matter what?

TIA for answering that question. DL

like i said, for all its flaws the game deserves the love. it's great and very well made in terms of gameplay. the technical side...not so much. PC users are basically forced to play the 360/PS3 version to make sure it runs, if you want to up that you need to mess with the configuration and hope for the best. otherwise, it is a very good game. the authority rifle is one of my favorite guns IN GAMING. EVER.

I was almost scared off from getting this game due to the initial reactions to it. I'm glad I decided to give a chance in the end because I have loved it so far. I'm able to max out the video settings at 1280x1024 and play at 60fps with my GTX 470 (EVGA replaced my 280 with a 470). Even with a smaller monitor and a lower resolution, this game has looked absolutely fantastic.

Couple other random comments so far:

1. Love how the enemies re-group when you are destroying them.
  2. Enjoying the focus on the FPS side of things without being weighed down (pun intended - no over encumbrance!) by an overly RPG style game.Some people complain about the linearity, but I have welcomed it at least in this game. I don't feel overwhelmed about given the option to go a million different directions.
  3. What do I do with the Fallout Bobble-heads that I've picked up? Sell them or do they have a purpose later? Same question for the feltrite crystals.

Feltrite/bobbleheads etc can just be sold - when you look at the description in the Sell Items panel of a shop, just sell anything that has a $ under it basically. Items are tagged with their usefulness such as construction items and ammo etc.

Feltrite/bobbleheads etc can just be sold - when you look at the description in the Sell Items panel of a shop, just sell anything that has a $ under it basically. Items are tagged with their usefulness such as construction items and ammo etc.

Is there a key person I should sell them to that will give the best money or just any shopkeeper?

Okay cool, thanks. I noticed in the inventory screen the dollar sign under the items that can be sold, just wanted to make sure they would not fetch more money somewhere else. Thanks. (Y)

I came to think thread to ask if anyone is so disappointed by this game. Namely for the graphical problems I've had. The game constantly flickers and the framerate is just bad. I have a pretty good machine (in signature) and this game just feels sluggish. On top of that, there is no enticing content or story. It's just people telling you to go here and click this thing or kill those people. The racing dynamic feels like an afterthought and not a very good one.

I think I may have seen some talk in the thread about graphical fixes? If so, I'll check it out, but I won't invest too much more of my time this game...

I came to think thread to ask if anyone is so disappointed by this game. Namely for the graphical problems I've had. The game constantly flickers and the framerate is just bad. I have a pretty good machine (in signature) and this game just feels sluggish. On top of that, there is no enticing content or story. It's just people telling you to go here and click this thing or kill those people. The racing dynamic feels like an afterthought and not a very good one.

I think I may have seen some talk in the thread about graphical fixes? If so, I'll check it out, but I won't invest too much more of my time this game...

The game runs like a dream on my oldish system (phenom II 840 & HD4850).

No there's no enticing content or story. Just good graphics and solid feeling shooting. id should have focused on the shooting more instead of trying to add racing and adventure elements in a half-ass'd fashion.

Not that I like the idea of paid dlc but maybe when they are released it will flesh the game out some more?

I'm still thinking about getting this game but not only will it eventually be cheaper but there will probably be a GoTY edition with all the dlcs in it.

I actually have had some guy ask for Feltrite crystals so it might not be good to sell em.

there is a mission in wellsprings for 20 feltright for a defeb upgrade

Cool thanks. (Y) I have actually held on to them, they made them out to seem important when they first talked about them, so sounds like I did the right thing.

Have not had the opportunity to play the past few days. My wife is going out with some friends tonight, so more than likely going to get some solid time in with it tonight. I do also have Forza 4 though for the 360, so may wind up playing that, as it has been a long week at work, and I might just want to relax on the couch. Prefer to play Rage, just sitting in front of a computer after sitting in front of one all day at work is not always relaxing.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer on the PC, though I'm using a 360 controller for it. It's really fun when you get the hang of it.

I enjoyed the single player campaign as well - LOVED the combat and guns, just wish it wasn't so linear. The ending was a let down though.

So i finally found some time to play this game :D After spending 4 hrs with it i too have some mixed feelings. Overall its good but not "id" good :( Compared to borderlands or fallout i enjoy it much more too. The main probs are probably graphics, which have many many low rez looking textures! Somehow it really pains my eyes. The prob with slowly rendering textures is not much of an issue for me.

Now speaking of gameplay...i didnt like side missions which seem a bit pointless(especially where you have to hunt bandits in places where youve been). Driving is not much fun either, especially those races. What i like is level design, art direction and gunplay is fun too, though a bit hard since its the first game i am playing since May.

Finally picked up a copy of the game myself, due to the mixed reviews it wasn't a bad price for a recently released game (£37 from HMV). I was in too minds whether to grab the game or not due to the mixed reviews, but after reading some of the comments here i decided to go ahead for the purchase, as i had been waiting for this game since it was announced years ago.

First off Fallout 3 is probably my favourite game, it's the one i have spent the most on and i have played all of the DLC also, i literally put months of time into that game. However i went into this game knowing that this has nothing in common with Fallout3, i remember watching an interview with carmack where he stated that Rage is the next generation of shooters, that modern shooters will basically be the same but with some lite RPG elements and thats certainly what we have got. To put F3 into the mix we are looking at two games at the opposite ends of the spectrum that so happen to be set in a wasteland and use First Person control as a mechanism, with F3 heavily into RPG elements and Rage at the opposite end with Action/Trad FPS.

I got the game on the 360 for two reasons, i don't think it would run that well on my desktop and second i basically switched all my main game playing to the 360 from the PC in 2008 as i liked the ease of use, the game selection and the achievement points.

The 360 edition of this game does look really good, the graphics are very sharp and detailed, although i do see what others have said with some ugly textures, sandbags, boxes etc all look pretty dire, however if this is a sacrifice for 60FPS then i don't mind as the 60FPS really make the game feel very fluid. The NPC's / Enemies look good, with good detail and fast fluid actions, hardly any move or act robotically. I haven't got too far yet, however the missions seem ok, I'm not really into the driving segments as my personal stance has been if i want to drive ill play forza et all and if i want to play FPS ill play a FPS, this or course has meant that the action segments so far have been a little light, however i can see how the game is currently setting up and prepping me for the meat of it, so this is not a moan. I am currently playing through all side missions as well as the main plot, luckily enough so far most missions/quests are set up in such a way that the side missions usually take place close to the next main mission.

The biggest thing though with the 360 is the mega-texturing technology does really thrash the DVD drive. I still own a pre-slim 360 and the drive is usually not too loud, however the constant thrashing really not only made the console a lot louder but also made the texture popping a lot more obvious. With my Pre-Slim i still have the org 20GB drive which only provides 13GB of usable space, thank god for the ability to move content to USB sticks as i managed to free up enough space to install Rage onto the HDD, which i think is basically a requirement if you wish to play the game, you could technically run it from the DVD but the noise and slow loading, texture popping will really detract from the experience and you'll be left feeling slightly annoyed.

The gameplay is spot on and has that polished feel you come to expect from id games, the clans/bandits/mutants i have met so far are distinguisable enough to make them easily identifiable both visually and with their behaviour which i think is a nice touch and prevents that feeling of one enemy type with a different set of clothes/textures.

The bottom line is that it shouldn't be compared to Fallout 3 or borderlands, they are both true blue FPS RPG's which i feel is the polar opposite of what Rage is or trying to be, i do agree with Carmack that Rage is the next generation of FPS's, we had the auto-heal, the multiplayer, the scripting and physics, now a lot of FPS's will need to offer not only the basic mechanics but also a bit extra with a lite RPG system.