R.E.M. Break Up After Three Decades

R.E.M. Break Up After Three Decades

Legendary rock band have 'called it a day'

R.E.M. have announced that they have broken up after 31 years together. "As lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band," the band said in a statement on their official website today. "We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished."

In just over three decades as a band, R.E.M. released 15 albums including landmark works such as Murmur, Reckoning, Document, Out of Time and Automatic For the People. The band's final album, Collapse Into Now, was released in March of this year. There were reports over the summer that the band had spent some time in an Athens studio, but it is unclear whether anything will come of that session.

Source: Rolling Stone

This was my favorite band when I was growing up. Sad to see them go but they were going downhill after Berry left. :( Still, we had a lot of great music!

Other than that one song Stand, the rest of their songs were mostly crap and REM were overhyped by the Music industry.

I know your not bashing their earlier material. Murmur is way better than Green. Stand was a product of commercialization since they got that big contract from WB. Despite their departure from IRS, about the only albums I really enjoyed after their time at IRS are Monster, Accelerate, and Collapse Into Now. But you can't beat their early material.

Other than that one song Stand, the rest of their songs were mostly crap and REM were overhyped by the Music industry.

I do agree that they were mostly bland and rather dull, but as said before, Murmur is a great album - the only one i personally have any time for. Still, probably time to break up anyway, 2011 album was terrible.