Thoughts on mango so far?

That's because the competitive platforms apps are actually written by FaceBook, taking advantage of hidden APIs.

Microsoft wrote their app based on the public API and without any serious support from FaceBook.

That said, Microsoft are also trying to integrate everything into the people hub, so most of your info and updates are there >.<

3rd part apps aren't as fast as native apps because native apps are running native code.. Never gonna happen for 3rd parties..

What I'm more excited about is the new breed of apps that are coming out. The thing I liked the most (because I really hated it lack that befire) is the integration of Windows Live Messenger. It is easier to chat on the phone with many of my contacts instead of using WhatsApp (good first release, though) or other apps like that.

The ability to quote tweets will be a welcome addition for me.

The smoothness is awesome. It feel like we just upgraded to a more powerful phone and most we have are almost a year old :)

That's a valid point, MS wants to add more FB/Twitter options into the people hub directly, thus the need for a 3rd party app drops with every update to the people hub. Not to mention the people hub will always start and perform better than the FB app.

One thing that I think would be good is if the people hub itself could give you notifications instead of having you pin the ME tile to get them. Unless it does and I missed it?

Well it'd also work for twitter as well not just FB. I don't pin the ME tile but I guess I'd have to. I just let the FB and my twitter apps let me know through they're tile notifications but I suppose having one tile instead of two is better in the end.

Microsoft wrote their app based on the public API and without any serious support from FaceBook.

Microsoft don't actually write the app themselves, Clarity Consulting do - a company Microsoft have turned to for many Facebook related projects (and who also helped write the Facebook C# toolkit API). They also have very good working relations with Facebook, but uh, let's just say its hard to get a big app like Facebook working smoothly with the dev tools they had. A lot of the performance techniques that make my apps perfectly silky smooth actually come from tips the guys used in making the Facebook WP7 app - but in their case there's just so much data for them to display with complex templates that they still get bogged down. Things aren't greatly improved in Mango from them either.

Which apps are you having problems with? All my HTC apps installed fine.

Sound Enhancer says there's an update available but won't install it as it's not compatible. On the plus side some of the other ones updated recently though.

I just noticed something, looks like my avatar has a new item... a Windows Phone!!

It's only appeared after the Mango update.

I thought we were gonna get more tiles' colors with mango. I remember a screenshot with white background and black tiles :/

Hw do I update my fone?

Is it a Windows Phone, I assume it is as you're posting in here.

You need to connect it to your computer and use the Zune software, you can get it from http://www.zune.net/en-GB/, to download and install the update.

The Zune Software should detect an update automatically but if it doesn't click Settings>Phone>Update and the software will check for any updates. Just be aware that updates roll out in waves so you may not get it immediately.

Which apps are you having problems with? All my HTC apps installed fine.

The only issue I had was with Attentive Phone, however it's just a change to the way it works. It no longer has it's own icon, instead it appears in your settings pane (and doesn't tell you it did >.>)

It is pretty smooth. I'm loving that they fixed colour banding. The colours on my phone are so much deeper now.. It looks awesome >.<

Mine takes about a quarter second to load, but yeah it's annoying :\

I wonder why they made that change D:

I was thinking it was just me. My sig. other has been making fun of me for this gripe (As it is rather silly), but it is such a weird change. LOL

I just noticed something, looks like my avatar has a new item... a Windows Phone!!

Oh, I didn't know everyone was getting that with the update. They had run a promotion on the XBox a while ago where if you watched a video about Windows Phone your avatar would get their very own phone. LOL It's nice that more people will be able to show off WP7 now. :)

I thought we were gonna get more tiles' colors with mango. I remember a screenshot with white background and black tiles :/

The grey tiles were an exclusive OEM colour for a phone (I think it was a Fujitsu phone). They're not likely to let us choose the colours manually due to the fact that developers and applications rely on the accent colours being clear and distinguishable, but a few more colours wouldn't go amiss. Not that I mind, the "Orange UK" colour is awesome enough :p

Microsoft don't actually write the app themselves, Clarity Consulting do - a company Microsoft have turned to for many Facebook related projects (and who also helped write the Facebook C# toolkit API). They also have very good working relations with Facebook, but uh, let's just say its hard to get a big app like Facebook working smoothly with the dev tools they had. A lot of the performance techniques that make my apps perfectly silky smooth actually come from tips the guys used in making the Facebook WP7 app - but in their case there's just so much data for them to display with complex templates that they still get bogged down. Things aren't greatly improved in Mango from them either.

Yeah, you know what I mean though >.<

They did the same thing with their MSN app which REALLY ****ed me off >.>

Interestingly enough, I'm a WPF/silverlight coder also, and I took one look at the platform, laughed and wondered off to work on my PC >.> I couldn't code for WP7

Nice :o I think it's for when you first bind your phone to the account

I was thinking it was just me. My sig. other has been making fun of me for this gripe (As it is rather silly), but it is such a weird change. LOL

Yeah, and completely unannounced..

Yeah, you know what I mean though >.<

They did the same thing with their MSN app which REALLY ****ed me off >.>

Interestingly enough, I'm a WPF/silverlight coder also, and I took one look at the platform, laughed and wondered off to work on my PC >.> I couldn't code for WP7

Nice :o I think it's for when you first bind your phone to the account

Yeah, and completely unannounced..

Yeah, I'd agree, I haven't seen it occur again since.

Have you downloaded the locations app yet?

It's essentially the Footprints app from Android just redesigned with more options for WP7.

I don't have a Windows Phone yet, but am planning on upgrading once the new phones come out, but I have a question...

I want to know if Mango supports Google Calendars? I heard that it doesn't support multiple calendars on Google. Can anyone clarify?

I don't have a Windows Phone yet, but am planning on upgrading once the new phones come out, but I have a question...

I want to know if Mango supports Google Calendars? I heard that it doesn't support multiple calendars on Google. Can anyone clarify?

supports Google Calendar, you can get multiple calendars with a workaround because it's supported Google just hasn't enabled it.

I've been using Mango since beta.. and its been underwhelming update so far from my perspective.

for starters Mango still hasnt got the basics of the phone right..

with mango, you

• cant edit a number in dialer
  • cant copy paste a number in dialer
  • doesnt recognize a short number in texts
  • cant forward a contact out of the box
  • cant backup texts

and bing maps sucks here compared to google.

now I'm hoping Nokia's Mango+ will fix all this.

what i really like are enhancements to Outlook,Calendar,Mail, Zune, Facebook,Twitter integration and IE9.

I've been using Mango since beta.. and its been underwhelming update so far from my perspective.

for starters Mango still hasnt got the basics of the phone right..

with mango, you

• cant edit a number in dialer
  • cant copy paste a number in dialer
  • doesnt recognize a short number in texts
  • cant forward a contact out of the box
  • cant backup texts

and bing maps sucks here compared to google.

now I'm hoping Nokia's Mango+ will fix all this.

what i really like are enhancements to Outlook,Calendar,Mail, Zune, Facebook,Twitter integration and IE9.

Surely the enhancements outweigh the problems you have with it though, they do for me.

TBH I don't do any of the things you listed under basics anyway and I'm not sure anyone else does either. I do agree Bing Maps sucks though, hopefully Nokia will integrate their maps with Bing Maps and that will resolve it.

I'd really like more devs to update their apps to mango to take advantage of multitasking.

I agree. I wonder how long we're going to have to wait for some of the bigger apps and games to update...

And I heard via Twitter that RedBox is making an app for WP7, so I really can't wait for that either. :)

Honestly, there's a few high profile apps that are in bad need of an update. Like Flixter. Why can't I log in to My Flixter and rate movies as I see them and see my movie ratings while I'm at it as well? What a missed opportunity.

I agree. I wonder how long we're going to have to wait for some of the bigger apps and games to update...

And I heard via Twitter that RedBox is making an app for WP7, so I really can't wait for that either. :)

Honestly, there's a few high profile apps that are in bad need of an update. Like Flixter. Why can't I log in to My Flixter and rate movies as I see them and see my movie ratings while I'm at it as well? What a missed opportunity.

I also agree that developers need to update their apps. Personally I'm waiting for Skype but i've also heard that an Official Dropbox app could be on the way as well.

I also agree that developers need to update their apps. Personally I'm waiting for Skype but i've also heard that an Official Dropbox app could be on the way as well.

Agreed. And honestly, it's been a while since there was an app or game that I really wanted... Right now my big hope is for a good RedBox app (Which they've promised) and Mango updates to the games that I have.

Maybe a new game like Peggle. That would be awesome. lol